[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went so wrong with Sony? They were pretty much on top of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

File: sonyview1.png (25KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
sonyview1.png
25KB, 1200x1200px
What went so wrong with Sony?

They were pretty much on top of hardware until the 90s
>>
>>59934281
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSHgFkYEb2o
japanese recession
>>
Too mush built in redundancy in their products.
Consumers got sick of it.
>>
>>59934281
Steve Jobs Apple happened.

He gave Sony a chance to use OS X on their Vaios. They refused.
iPod was a kick in the teeth to them.
iPhone was another kick in the teeth.
Samsung is the curb stomp, they are everything Sony were but slightly cheaper.
>>
>>59934519
>they are everything Sony were but slightly cheaper
No, they are shitty Apple knock-off for brown people.
>>
At least the Playstation is still doing well
>>
>>59934594
PS3 was a massive money drain, PS4 is barely profitable
>>
>>59934577
>brown people
only pajeets fresh off the boat use samsung, others use iphones. i've seen a lot of spics use samsung though
>>
their TVs are still top-notch tho
>>
>>59934929
You're joking right? Their TVs switched to Samsung sourced panels 3 years ago.
>>
>>59934281
Sony used to have leaders with a technical background.

Then, in a stroke of absolute madness, they put Howard Stringer in position of power and he subsequently strung up the company. No innovation. No willingness to employ music contents to dominate MP3 market. No willingness to go for the Playstation - that was an underground project actively opposed by the brass. No willingness to expand beyond keitai.

it still hasn't recovered.
>>
>>59934929
They break, like, the next day.
>>
>>59935111
my uncle's 40 inch bravia has been running fine since 2010
>>
>>59934281
They fired off all their old staff thinking that fresh blood would be good for the company, except the problem was that all the 60+ year-olds were the ones doing the innovating.
They all left to Korea out of spite (and by extension companies like Samsung), which is why the sudden shift from Sony being on top and Korea being a China-lite in terms of quality, to Korea now standing as one of the world leaders in technology.
>>
>>59934281
They got fucked pretty hard by the American RIAA during the development of the DAT format due to paranoia about music piracy. They forced the delay of the format by years until an acceptable DRM method was devised for the format and by then it was dead on arrival. Sony pioneered a number of formats that met similar fates due to regulation and a general pushback against Japanese tech companies by American rivals during the 80s/90s. I think it changed the outlook of the company and they gradually devoted fewer and fewer resources to pushing innovation. Things might have turned out differently for Sony had it not been this way.
>>
>>59935174
>They all left to Korea out of spite
but japs and koreans hate each other right?
>>
>>59934641
Niggers, members of the middle and lower classes who are troubled by their social statuses and retards who fall for the consumerist dream use iPhones.

Pajeets are paid to show off windows phones at social gatherings because no one actually uses that shit.

And everyone else uses Android.
>>
>>59935220
He is completely making this up.
No fucking japanese company would ever do this.
>>
>>59935190
Somebody's been watching Techmoan.
>>
>>59935304
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-09-26/sonys-engineer-exodus-may-delay-a-revival-of-the-electronics-division

turns out it's true
>>
Their bank and insurance business is doing fine though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyeUvOQUw7g
>>
>>59935220
No one hates people they've never met just because their grandparents fought each other.
Unless you're a brainwashed burger or a muslim.
>>
I just hope Sony dies, they don't make anything good, and the movie branch produces pure shite year after year.
>>
They hired some Irish guy that didn't even speak Japanese to run the company.
He ran that fucking gigantic ship into the fucking ground.

GG
>>
>>59935304
The cause for this was Harold Stringer. The enormity of his disaster was apparent in 2012 when he was chucked out but the damage was done.
>>
>>59934618
>PS3 was a massive money drain
That was true during its first years.
I think they were fine from Slim and after.
>>
>>59934281
they bet everything on Cell.

Cell was supposed to be their end all be all chip that is going to be on laptops, tvs, cellphones, consoles and all

rude awakening by the failure launch of ps3 crashed everything
>>
Heisei recession + MBAs + Korea and Taiwan coming online.

Then add in the decline of unionized manufacturing and increased income inequality in the US. Service economy means self-worth and group identification/acceptance defined by Veblen goods, which leaves Sony's drab specialized products unappealing at the high end yet far too expensive for the low end.
>>
they got too greedy and became a worse company than microsoft
>>
>>59935304
>weeaboo thinks all japs are honorable samurai that would rather seppuku when they get fired instead of taking a higher paying job
>>
>>59934281
Sony is now focused on making cameras and PS4s, that's about it.
Their cameras are overall pretty good and at this point pretty much took Canon's old place when it comes to video under 2k i guess.
>>
>>59938132
MBAs?
>>
They still make top tier hardware

Their software department is lacking
>>
>>59938376
>Sony is now focused on making cameras and PS4s, that's about it.
They used to utterly dominate end user consumer goods. The focus because they failed in their old market. Now they are suppliers to others, selling cell phone cameras etc with limited end user market.

>>59939347
>They still make top tier hardware
What they make is good. They just no longer dominate the market. They no longer rule by massive innovations.
>>
The reason they don't fare too well anymore is that competitors deliver the same features (at least in consumers minds) while being cheaper.
Nobody cares that the actual quality of the competition is worse.
>>
Modern smartphones happened.
They basically replaced 80% of all Sony products.
>>
File: 3NqX7i6.png (1MB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
3NqX7i6.png
1MB, 1360x768px
>>
Sony nearly went bankrupt a couple of years ago because of mismanagement, they were disconnected from the current market and became a simple retailer distributor instead of innovating and establishing a leading strategic position. Their model was heavily outdated and they realized it too late.
>>
What does Sony still make that's good?
Cameras are still good, Playstation is alright, their phones aren't massively popular but they're good enough...
>>
>>59934281
They still are. Other companies just advertise themselves more, creating an illusion of better products.
>>
>>59935369
Well, they can and they do hate to vent their discontentment in life into something intangible and that cannot fight back.
>>
>>59934281
>They were pretty much on top of hardware until the 90s
lol no they most certainly were not
>>
>>59934281
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqbPANFzBgg
>>
>>59934281
pointless expensive shit, that's what happened
>>
sony has always been greedy and has been trying to replicate the walkman for decades. That is a proprietary electronic or toy that they can create a monopoly on.
Funny how other companies imitated or replicated their business and pulled the rug from under them.

china and korea imitators that could undercut their business also was Japan's downfall in the last 2 decades.
>>
Why are their phones so expensive? Why are they always a year or two behind other flagships?
>>
They still can't make a battery worth a shit. I love my h.ear on wireless and my a900, though.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.