[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kali Linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: kali.jpg (560KB, 1428x783px) Image search: [Google]
kali.jpg
560KB, 1428x783px
Kali Linux Discussion Thread

What do you use it for?
>>
Nothing really, I just used it as a Bootable flash and showed it to some friends. Idk anyone that uses it as their main os.
>>
I guess I'm more curious about the various tools. But I guess that's a separate discussion...
>>
I use it because its a good starting toolkit for most csec shit. What are you curious about?
>>
>>59930555
I use it for CTF stuff.
>>
File: mr fuckface.png (275KB, 500x492px) Image search: [Google]
mr fuckface.png
275KB, 500x492px
(OP)
>>
>>59930671
/thread
>>
>>59930671
>>59930691
*upvotes*
>>
File: subversive.jpg (91KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
subversive.jpg
91KB, 400x400px
>>59930777
>redditor calls other people redditors
>>
>>59930616
It's still not designed to be used as your desktop. Skiddies saying 'dude I b00t kali you use n00buntu? get with it' just look like morons.

I do use Kali from a bootable drive because it has a lot of the easy tools for a QUICK and ROUGH audit precompiled and configured.

When I'm competing in CTFs and stuff, I have an arch image I've built that has my own tools.

Kali has its place, like that toolkit you buy for roadside maintenance on your car. None of the wrenches are great. You could invest a lot of time and money in to carrying a better kit with you, but if you just need something to get you to the repair station, it'll do.
>>
Quick reminder that Kali is not meant to be installed, and if you install it you are using it wrong. You are not a cool hacker for using it. Your system is significantly less secure than a default Ubuntu installation.

That said, Kali is pretty cool and it definitely has its uses. I keep it on a USB drive on my keychain setup with Yumi
>>
I use it to h4x0r wifis.
>>
>>59930555
I just wanted to use my neighbors wifi
>>
File: 1464825322768.png (27KB, 602x500px) Image search: [Google]
1464825322768.png
27KB, 602x500px
>>59930555
>What do you use it for?
USB and Installed ver.
I did the challenge to use it at a main distro months ago.
And, surprise, it works fine, like another debian, i can use it (upgraded and customized) to train myself with some virtual systems, and for an external use (web/real network) i can use it in a vm or USB so it's kali out of the box.
But meh here people are anti-kali because of
>muh mr.robot
>muh kiddies
>muh it's just a tool.
Repositories are not for dogs.
The thing with a gnu/linux system is that you can do what you want with it, you just have to know what you are doing and personnalize/setting it up to be more practical, usefull and comfy.
Of course it's not the best one for that (for sure), but it's possible and the challenge can be fun, in particular with this one.
You can insult me /g/ (and you will no doubt about that) i fuckin don't care cause i really like my kali, it just works, it's litteraly like another debian so i'm happy to not have listened to you 5 or 6 months ago. I have no regrets.
>>
>>59931981
If it's just for wifi you don't need to have all the kali tools.
Take a debian and install the tools you need for that (fern, ghostphisher wifite etc...), it will be lighter.
>>
I have it on a dongle for recovery purposes.
>>
>>59930555
Nothing, KDE Neon is literally the best distro/de out there and I use it for everything
>>
>>59930555
Since I am a retard who didn't go for Debian when he had the chance, I use it for my laptop as a writing suite (WPS and Okular are all I need, I suppose I could uninstall all the unnecessary stuff)

Also, what difference is there between Debian and Kali? Speaking from a security standpoint. I want to make my laptop as Debian as possible, but since I have so much stuff running already I wouldn't want to reinstall it all.
>>
>>59932051
Basically in the same boat, it's literally debian. I'm thinking about installing gnome underneath i3 just to get some more desktop GUI possibilities. Nothing has been regretted.

>>59930989
How is it less secure? I keep hearing this, but no one elaborates. Surely, it is possible to secure it to Debian level, once I have installed it.
>>
>>59933982
>what difference
Extra tools.(learn to use them, you have them after all)
Use Xfce instead of Gnome.
>>
>>59934031
I got XFCE when I installed Kali, but nowadays I use i3 for everything. Still XFCE doesn't do everything, from what I gathered so far.

Learning to use the tools, it's kinda fun from time to time to bother people in the house, dropping connections and shit.
>inb4 no fun allowed
>>
>>59934058
>it's kinda fun from time to time
Kali is like a little school, there is always seomething interesting to learn.
>>59934023
>Surely, it is possible to secure it to Debian level
Adding the sec.repository?
>>
>>59934128
>sec.repository

a ddg search yielded nothing, what is a sec.repository? I presume it's a repo to use with apt, but I don't know what exactly it is. Care to shed a light on that? Thanks
>>
>>59934180
I was talking about the debian security repository, when i launch an audit with lynis it says that there isn't a security repo. I've never known if the wheezie ver. is really compatible.
>>
>>59934371
OK, thanks! I'll have a look into that.
>>
Mate, do yourself a favor and install arch. Then install kali in a vm. You just look foolish using it as your main OS. Surely you are very new to Kali if you are using it as such.
>what do you use it for
What else would it be used for? It's simply designed for penetration testing.
>>
File: 1486213938650.jpg (187KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1486213938650.jpg
187KB, 1200x1200px
@59934401
>Surely you are
Stop prentending and sayin shit you don't know.
>do yourself a favor and
The fuck...?!
Apparently you didn't read anything here.
>>
>>59930555
Good for learning
Only retards cry about people who use it as a standard OS.
>>
>>59930989
>it's less secure
Why do people just say this? They don't ever elaborate they just say it. The closest I've seen to an elaboration was
>You need to be in root to use the tools!!!!
What is making unprivileged users?
>>
>>59930555
shitposting
>>
>>59930555
I do in fact primary boot Kali but I have nothing against any other distro. I even have the computer at my shop running it and employees trained to use it.
>>
>>59930555
when i was having firmware issues with debian i went with kali. create a user and remove the pentest tools and it's literally debian with nice themes and nonfree drivers.

All in all if you really want to, you can make it suitable for a daily driver despite the memes.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.