[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mirroring / Syncing from Windows to Linux Server.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

I have a folder on my Win7 laptop that I wish to mirror to my 200GB Ubuntu VPS.

I do not wish to sync the folders. If I accidentally delete something on the server, I do not wish it to disappear on my laptop "automatically". All I want is to mirror what I have in my Windows folder, and when I add/edit stuff on my laptop, I want the VPS to get updated, but not the other way around.

I don't want to get some cloud service, since I have this VPS more or less free.

People online seem to recommend this Unison soft.
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/
More suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

FYI. The purpose is that I want to travel with my laptop, and if it burns or get stolen, I want to be able to pick up a new lappy, DL my files, and get back to work.
>>
me on the right
>>
me on the left
>>
me in the next room jerking off
>>
syncthing

you can set the share on the laptop to be the "master", meaning only changes on the laptop are acted upon
>>
>>59929320
alternatively, since it's just one-way, you could instead run rsync periodically
>>
>>59928191
FreeFileSync can sync any two folders over SMB or SFTP. I use it all the time for my Debian box. It can do one or two way mirroring.
>>
>>59929486
With the obvious requirement of setting up FTP on your VPS prior.
>>
>>59929124
>jerking off to skelingtons
>>>/x/
>>59928191
dropbox, lol
>>
>>59928191
create a windows scheduled task that runs however often you want (once a day, once an hour, every 5 mins) that does a winscp synchronize. works with sftp/scp so dont need to open up or configure regular ftp bullshit and worry about it being insecure

https://winscp.net/eng/docs/scriptcommand_synchronize.
>>
File: bb01[1].jpg (102KB, 650x343px) Image search: [Google]
bb01[1].jpg
102KB, 650x343px
Thx for the answers people (keep 'em coming if you wish, appreciated).

Testing out Unison, but too knackered right now to make it work.

Syncthing looks very interesting. Some of the other stuff as well.
>>
>>59928191
rsync or get out
most optimized way to sync (or mirror) folders. You're mistaken, what you do is sync. Mirror is where you'd delete any missing files. Rsync by default, as the name implies syncs, with the --delete flag it'll mirror
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.