[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Industry Standard Certifications

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: Swlujnc3zh07gpz.jpg (18KB, 457x315px) Image search: [Google]
Swlujnc3zh07gpz.jpg
18KB, 457x315px
Is it worth it to get certifications such as CCENT/CCNA or is it essentially a waste?

What qualifications does /g/ have and why?
>>
>>59926977
I have a CCNA, I'm not too sure it helps though. Haven't seen it mentioned at all.

I had to get it when I became an E Eng.
>>
>>59927178
I should elaborate. I had to do it because of my school. It was one of the options for a course.
>>
You have to get certificates that are actually useful to you, a friend of mine got his CCNA two years ago which was great when he worked in infrastructure stuff but he has since moved to an MSP and deals with nothing but HP equipment and windows server so he has forgotten most of the stuff he learned.

I'm going for my server 2016 MSCA currently which I should be able to leverage in what I do, there are jobs I narrowly missed out on because I only had experience and an associates degree in comp sci. They were asking for more in depth experience with windows scripting and deployment which the MSCA would have provided.

If you can leverage a decent certificate properly it could be the different between helpdesk monkey and junior sys admin. That's the difference not having one made for me recently
>>
>>59927178
>>59927400
Wow some actually useful replies on /g/, I'm very surprised.

>>59927400
But yeah my thinking was that it's the field I'm looking to get into and my college course is far too general so it should be good to get some more specific qualifications. Is there a bigger demand for Microsoft qualifications over Cisco ones in your experience or does it depend entirely on the specific project/case?
>>
>>59927930
Unless you are talking about infrastructure/hosted services then everything uses windows server. RHEL would be useful but if you're looking to cut your teeth in Sys administration then MCSA is a very good way of getting learned.

Are you studying comp sci or what?

Again the certificates are as specific as the field you want to get involved in. If you're not sure what you want to do when you graduate then something less vendor specific would be a better option. Things like CCNA, Security/Network+ for example.

I only have experience in operations, if you're looking at going into development then someone else needs to give you some more advice as I haven't got a fucking clue how dev careers are formed
>>
>more in depth experience with windows scripting and deployment which the MSCA would have provided
At a trivial level only. The only way to really learn this is to do a massive migration.
>>
>>59928041
Fair point but there is lab practice that can be done on a smaller scale which is what I am going through now
>>
>>59926977
CCNA is worth it for the education it gives you alone. Very in-depth instruction in networking architecture and design.

But if you want a cert that you'll see in almost every netadmin job ad you can find, get microsoft server 2012 certified.
>>
>>59927997
I fucked my college entry and ended up only getting into digital humanities which is like a mix of a multimedia course and a small bit if comp sci with a lot of Humanities horseshit, hence the need to bolster my qualifications.
I've been looking into a couple of these qualifications but I guess I just need to decide what I specifically want to be qualified in and get the right one for that
>>
>>59928664
Exactly, god speed with your weird shitty sounding degree anon
>>
>>59926977
If you want to do something with Networking, it is. Even entry-level NOC engineer positions commonly look for CCNA. If you do nothing involving routers and switches and shit, there's no need to go for a CCNA.
>>
>>59928111
Ever heard a golf pro say something like, don't learn on your own then take lessons because it will be twice as hard to unlearn?

Those labs are the equivalent. They teach you the slowest, least efficient methods, so that consulting contracts can be extended.
>>
>>59930279
Oh I assumed they were based on industry best practice,where should I be learning from then?
>>
>>59930307
Good question. What have you mastered scripting and deployment wise thus far?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.