[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much does not having a uni degree affect your job prospects?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: dilbert.jpg (47KB, 736x228px) Image search: [Google]
dilbert.jpg
47KB, 736x228px
How much does not having a uni degree affect your job prospects?
>>
>>59922922
In very. very general terms, not very much. Experience is worth more than a piece of paper almost all applicants will have.

If you want a particular job, think what they want, and mold yourself to fit that. Get the relevant experience, and get the relevant "when confronted with this situation, I did this" competancy question fodder. A degree is [pseudo experience and] knowledge. You can show the latter without a degree, but in some fields you might have trouble doing that.

You'll find that some people got a degree *after* they got into a job they liked, because they needed it to tick boxes for career progression. If you're inside an organisation, having done years of work for them, and you suddenly fit the bill for a higher paid job, and you apply to it, you'll get it. It's easier for them to find a replacement for the lower paid than it is for the high, and because you've worked there they feel comfortable with you.

Ask a more specific question.
>>
>>59923157
So how do we (people without degrees) get over that initial barrier and get a job?

How do we network?
>>
>>59923157
This is applicable to most jobs, but not all. I highly doubt any R&D division would even consider you without a diploma.

Additionally, for positions with a large number of applicants, lacking a relevant degree simply means you get filtered out in favour of the many who do have it.

So it depends. Indeed, OP should be more specific.
>>
Can you get non-web/mobile jobs without a degree?
>>
a lot of the time you can't make it past the resume filters and won't even be considered a candidate
>>
OP if you want specific answers then ask a specific question, primarily what field do you want to work in. Dev or Ops?
>>
>>59923314
>So how do we (people without degrees) get over that initial barrier and get a job?

For myself I found resources teaching what I wanted to do and ran through scenarios in my own time. This meant that during interview I could talk intelligently about the position more so that someone with only a degree.

>How do we network?

Like anyone else; go to where others in your field gather. conferences, talks, etc.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.