[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Killing ads forever

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1157.png (77KB, 2357x1105px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1157.png
77KB, 2357x1105px
For the past few years, ads have become what we call, intrusive. They move, they flash, they make noises and they play videos, without your consent. They are the main source of malware distribution.

I think the time has come raise our voices. A voice such as this:

I have set up a VM and a lightweight hardened linux distro inside it. There is one and only program running on it: Firefox. This particular Firefox has some unique traits to it: it runs through a proxy server, it has AdNauseam and Tab Auto Reload installed. I opened 15 different ad-ridden websites and I am constantly abusing them. I leave my computer open overnight and I am proud to say that I have been trashing thousands of dollars of ad revenue, every single night.

Now think about it, what would happen if 1000 people, on /g/, who are reading this, done the same thing? MILLIONS OF DOLLARS, TRASHED. Fucking amazing. Now think about what would happen if 1.000.000 people done the same thing, for a week? That is right. The global ad network would pathetically collapse.

So I am asking you a favor, a favor that will change the web as we know it. Will you participate in this -now obligatory- protest against the global ad networks?
>>
Nice blog post gayboy.
>>
>>59921263
$0.02
>>
DUDE LETS ALL GO TO THE BANK AND GET OUR MONEY OUT FUCK THE SYSTEM DUDE WEEEEEEEEED
>>
>>59921283
I only accept non-nigger forms of currency.
>>
>>59921318
0.02 eurobucks
>>
>>59921318
Then ₪0.02
>>
Journalists have fooled hippies into thinking their privacy and time have any value at all when in reality you're hiding a metric fuckton of nothing. This has been going on for longer than you think, you're just only aware to it now. You've probably never held a job because you have no concept of time.

A great example as to the pure stupidity of privacy shits is if they were running a supermarket, no related products would be allowed close to one another, only one person would be allowed in the store at a time, it would be cash only, and the entire process would take weeks. Of course privacy shits are losers and would never make it to this point.

Ads are a good thing because they help save your time by offering things that have been statistically proven to interest you.

You never see business owners launching some massive lawsuit campaign after they get a telemarketing call. You only see smelly loser hippies do it. That's because business owners know that while most of the ads are bullshit, one of them can turn into a legitimate business partner. Only total fucking losers care about privacy. That's because this has nothing to do with tech, it's just cuntrarians jerking off.

The proper solution to privacy is to eliminate welfare and encourage suicide since there's really nothing you offer, or do, to make it easier on anyone else.
>>
>use ublock origin to stop ads
>Use noscript to stop the shit hosts themselves put in their sites
>Don't use websites which don't run wo JavaScript or temporarily enable
That wasn't so hard

>>59921303
Also this
>>
>>59921340
One would only hope, but I assume that your post has some significant past to itself. Someone simply can't fit this much bullshit into a single post, without years of hard work and practice. So I feel obligated to congratulate you on behalf of internet people:

Congratulations, you are the 1.000.000th person who posted this same argument. Click here to collect your prize.

Now, there is a limit, a limit that has to be regulated so our nation doesn't become a dystopia. A dystopia where people are constantly exploited in every aspect of their lives. A dystopia where they can't raise their voices because they gave up their privacy for conveniency and their beloved Big Brother exactly knows who will speak up, when.

It has come to a point where we have to see ads on our startup menu, our elevator, the road we are driving by, the giant building around that corner; the bottom, the top, the middle of the web pages we visit. This is exploitation. This is the exact same thing we do to farm animals. We feed them, we give them water, shelter and when the time comes, we butcher them so we can sell them through supermarkets. We benefit from their meat, their veins, their fats. We drain them to a point where there is nothing left. Same as people, they drain us to a point where we have no money left.

So I am asking you, do you like to spend your life as an animal? Do you consider your freedom as a luxury?
>>
>>59921470
No ones making you buy shit
>>
Brb creating docker or vagrant files for this

>>59921392
Dont you know what Ad Nauseam does? It not only blocks the ads, it also simulates 'clicks' on them, making the tracking worthless
>>
>>59921580
Of course nobody does. Our minds do. For example:

You know about the infamous shitty headphone company, Beats, right? Despite the fact that their shitty headphones output the equally shitty sound, why do people choose to buy them? There is Sennheiser for example. Their headphones have superior quality compared to Beats, so why on Earth would people still choose Beats?

Because people has a familiarity towards Beats. Beats is everywhere. Beats is owned by Apple. The celebrities wear Beats. So in practice, Beats must be better, right? On the other than, I have never seen a Sennheiser ad before. I only have familiarity towards them because I have heard their name on forums. People were recommending it as a price/performance product so I became interested in it.

Now, the second one is healthy. I done my research after hearing about it and concluded on a choice. The first one though, is unhealthy. The materialized shilling drove these people towards buying Beats. And the worst part is, they believe they own the best product.

So yes nobody forcing anybody to buy anything, yet. They choose manipulate us instead.
>>
>>59921239
>They move, they flash, they make noises and they play videos, without your consent.
shitty leftard argument, but have a bump anyway
also you cant kill ads forever, they will simply change the monetization process, changing from clicks to awards for successful buys, but this would produce buttjuice rivers so go ahead.
>>
>>59922923
Then we would start informing people about these "rewards". Which one of these two makes sense: spending $100 to win $5 reward or not spending anything (winning $100)?
>>
>>59921239
>install uBlock Origin
>Ads be gone
Now that wasn't very hard.
>>
>>59923058
No that's not my point. My point is killing ads along with "pls disable adblocker we need to feed nigger babies in niggeristan" banners as well.
>>
>>59923098
The great thing about filter lists is that they can do whatever the fuck you want them to do. Find one that removes 'pls disable adblocker' shit, and problem solved.
>>
>>59921239

Or, you could do what I do, which is to simply not buy anything from companies that advertise on web pages.

That's much easier to do, and it's much easier to get 1,000,000 people to also do it.
>>
>>59923452
Just blocking ads and learning about products naturally is good enough. A company using advertising does not make their product bad, baka.
>>
>>59921340
>Ads are a good thing because they help save your time by offering things that have been statistically proven to interest you.

I save even more time by blocking advertisements and going straight to the information I was originally looking for. What kind of idiot needs others to (recommend content) think for them?
>>
Do it to those redirect ads you get on mobile
>>
Hey poet, block them at the router level. Unless you are running some shit the ISP gave you which you have no control over. fucking millennial.
>>
>>59921239
I have a much easier solution. I just don't go to shitty websites and I subscribe to a few I truly care about. You're on the internet. You're not exactly lacking choices for content.
>>
>>59922923
>changing from clicks to awards for successful buys

The concept already exists. Inside the industry, it's called "CPA".

(Pay-per-impression is called "CPM" in industry jargon.)

Basically, all the ad-blockers are doing is encouraging the industry to reduce its use of CPM, and increase its use of CPA.

The beautiful thing about CPA is that it doesn't need to be served from the advertiser's domain -- it can be served directly from the publisher's own domain. That makes it immune from ad-blockers, because if an ad is on the publisher's own domain, then it requires sophisticated AI to distinguish it from the actual site content -- requiring an AI development effort which will have pretty much zero chance of being successful in the long-run.

The other thing that could easily happen is that ad-blockers will force the advertisers to start buying up the publishers -- that way, the publishers can be trusted enough to serve ad impressions from their own domains -- hence defeating the ad-blockers. In that case, the advertisers' financial interests and the publishers' financial interests will coincide, allowing them to work together under the same corporate umbrella -- replacing the "distrustful vendor/customer" relationship they have now. In that model, the CPM and CPA concepts would disappear entirely, to be replaced by viewing the publisher as simply the advertising-distribution department -- i.e. publishing will just be considered "a cost of doing business", and written off as a corporate expense. Given how little money most sites make from their content, this model actually makes a lot of sense.

tl;dr -- Expect some advertising company to buy 4chan from gookmoot some day, and then use it as a platform to serve up in-line ads that can't be blocked.

(I work at a very evil place, where people sit around talking future strategy about this shit all the time.)
>>
>>59924363
>requiring an AI development effort which will have pretty much zero chance of being successful in the long-run.

We already have such AI. And there is two of them! Fucking amazing. Want to know their names? Here you go:

-NoScript
-uMatrix
>>
>>59921239
>For the past few years
They have been like that since their conception.
>>
>>59921239
It would make things much easier if you, dense fucker, would share the fucking virtual machine with us.
>>
>>59924196
He's not talking about blocking them, read his post again. You can't just close your eyes and expect the problem to go away eventually. It'll only get worse.
>>
just use umatrix. although it does require configurations for every website, it at least blocks them beforehand and lets you fiddle the stuff to allow
>>
>>59924363
So we are back to the point where the only informed people are the ones that put effort into learning(not that different from the "democratic" internet we have now).
>>
>>59926367
Don't expect to be spoonfed motherfucker. At least, to these on your own:

-Find a decent VM, noncracked
-Google how to make a hardened linux distro
-Set up that hardened distro in the VM
-Find a good proxy
-Install the extensions mentioned in OP

And basically, start attacking websites. Wew, that was hard.
>>
>>59926824
>I have an agenda and want to get things done
>I will make things as hard as possible for people to help me

What is the point of those steps?
-Google how to make a hardened linux distro
-Set up that hardened distro in the VM
-Find a good proxy
>>
>>59927021
I would share that VM if setting it up from stratch wasn't easier than downloading my copy, checking it for malware etc. Also you need to be able to do these things if you are posting here, which brings us into another topic.
>>
>>59927073
>if setting it up from stratch wasn't easier than downloading my copy
It is not reatrd. You are just a dumb newfag that doesn't know how to share a fucking vm.

>checking it for malware
Unecessary for the purpose.

>Also you need to be able to do these things if you are posting here, which brings us into another topic.
Stop trying to ad hominem, retarded newfag, and if you are so lectured explain the need for those steps. >>59927021
>>
>>59921340
>you're hiding a metric fuckton of nothing
Horseshit.

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2017/04/14/techies-in-uproar-over-drupal-developers-expulsion-over-bdsm-kinks/

The average person has something somewhere in their history that could utterly destroy them professionally. I don't know a single person for which that statement is untrue.
>>
>>59927121
Their purpose is anonymizing your ass, and protecting your computer against the malware from the ads, fucking Redditor. Do you think AdNauseams pathetic safety valves will stop some indians from hacking into your computer? Fuck off.
>>
>past fεw yεars ads havε bεcomε intrusivε
>1.000.000 is εnough pεrsons to crash a markεt targεting 1.000.000.000s of pεrsons by dεfault.
>i'll gεt 1.000.000 pεrsons to install firεfox
This is what the public εducation complεx doεs to pεoplε.
>>
>>59927186

It's no ordinary firefox though : ^ )
>>
>>59921239
>The global ad network would pathetically collapse.

It's already happening. Ad-tech is a massive scam and companies are starting to wake up. Ad-block use is at an all time high and rising.

Just fucking wait. Add networks are a bubble that's about to pop.
>>
>>59927175
You are retarded, I see.
First things first:

>fucking Redditor
>indians from hacking into your computer

You are a dumb memester.

All those hardening steps are pointless if you are already using an vm.

And the proxy doesn't really make any sense.

Btw what is a non-cracked vm?
>>
>>59927186
>A million automated machines which practically makes up a volvox colony of ddos machines isn't enough to crash the global ad network
This what Dunning-Kruger effect does to the people.
>>
>>59921340
This is bait, but not LQ.

Nice work.
>>
>>59925474
>We already have such AI.

Nonsense. Once they start deeply integrating ads with content, no AI will be able to tell where the ads are. They will make sure the integration is so seamless that no algorithm will be able to separate the ads from the content.

> -NoScript

Disabling scripting can't help. Mixing ads with content is done at the HTML level -- disabling scripting will do nothing except make the site less functional.

So it looks like you don't understand what it means for web sites to tightly integrate ads with their content. You'll see it soon enough, though. That's how they will defeat ad blockers.
>>
>>59921239
>OP shares ambitious idea
>rude cunts shit all over him
niggas u gay
>>
>>59927708
Personally if the ads become too intrusive and I can't block them, I either reduce my use of the service or quit altogether.

This is why I don't have a TV or regularly use Youtube.
>>
>>59927708
I know where you are coming from but consider this:

I have come across to the "ad integrated articles" that you have been describing. They have such low quality that I didn't even have to spend effort to spot these on. So, what if we feed these shill articles into a neural network? This network will also hold company names that is linked to their own products. If there is a match where company names/products + sentence constructions those are similar to the shill articles, the AI will simply scrub that part of the HTML before serving it to the end user. The user of this AI can report the articles the AI can't register and the core developer team can consider to whether if they are going to integrate the new sentence construction into the AIs' network so it will be ever developing ad blocker the companies can't circumvent.

Also, there should be an option that discards HTMLs if the AI simply spots trademarked products' names regardless if its a shill article or not.
>>59927767
I suppose they are shills.
>>
>>59921239
>yet another shitnauseam shilling post
sage
use ublock origin and fuck off
>>
>>59928006
Kill yourself
>>
Or we could just block ads for ourselves and let other retards click on ads to subsidize our use of these sites...
>>
>>59921340
>You've probably never held a job because you (don't like ads)
Not OP but okay dude
>>
>>59921239
>AdNauseam
What's this?
>>
>>59921239
>Now think about it, what would happen if 1000 people, on /g/, who are reading this, done the same thing? MILLIONS OF DOLLARS, TRASHED.
you should be a piracy lawyer
>>
Was thinking of doing the same lol.
Post your VM image coz lazy
>>
>I am proud to say that I'm a fucking lamer with nothing better to do with his/her/its time than waste the bandwidth available to me doing stupid shit like this little stunt instead of putting my talents towards making things actually better in the world I exist in just because I'm a whiny little bitch.

FTFY
>>
>>59928853
Why are some people such downers?
It's not a waste of time if you have fun doing it,no matter how stupid it may seem.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.