[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ethernet through electric wiring?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

File: 31IYBNuPwFL._SY300_.jpg (6KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
31IYBNuPwFL._SY300_.jpg
6KB, 300x300px
Anyone have any experience with this wizardry?

I just bought a house that's big enough that I'm genuinely worried one wireless router isn't going to cover it all.

I started down the path of looking at repeaters, but this appears to be a cheaper option.
>>
File: whore.jpg (92KB, 682x1000px)
whore.jpg
92KB, 682x1000px
>>
>>59918566

Did ... did you have that saved?

I guess I need to work on my /g/ folder.
>>
>>59918559

100% dependent on your wiring layout and condition. Unless all your sockets are on a single circuit YMMV. You won't know until you try.
>>
>>59918612

OK, thanks man. That's helpful.
>>
>>59918559
I recently installed one at my Mom's house, and my sister has one too.
Works well enough.

But I wouldn't use one myself unless there is absolutely no way to lay down Ethernet.

Since you just bought a house you should be able to drill holes and have proper Ethernet on every floor..
Hell, I'd invest in an Ethernet connection in every room just to stop future annoyances.
And maybe even USB-C power while you're at it.
>>
>>59918559
Fuck those connection drops every 5mins
>>
>>59918559
this works okay until the thing fails and it's propietary/unrepairable/only sold in pairs. It's too expensive when unsubsidized by the initial installation.
>>
what house do you live in? my parents' house is a three story reinforced concrete bunker and a ubiquity AP in the top floor covers all rooms and the garden.
>>
>>59918559
Unless you plan on gaming it should be fine. They generally provide decent bandwidth, but latency and jitter can be an issue for VoIP and games especially if they aren't on the same circuit in the house.

They're also affected by things that can generate electrical noise on the circuit, such as AC adapters for laptops and LED lighting.

My parents house is pretty large and they do need 2 routers, so I just ran a flat ethernet cable from the first router up through the attic to the second one. I bought a 30M length flat style one for pretty damn cheap.
>>
>>59918740
>only sold on pairs
I have them from two different manufacturers and they work with one another. They're all on the same standard.

I have 80mbits/s internet and get full speeds through the power adapters.

>>59918559
Works well. I'd recommend it if you can't run ethernet wires.

Have you considered running wires through the a/c vents?
>>
>>59918559
Stop being a pussy and wire it up with Cat6
>>
>>59918714
Some have a power save mode and it doesn't work well.

Trying setting your computer to ping your access point on the other side endlessly, chances are you won't lose connection.
>>
I have few older 500Mbit TP-Links from ~2011, original caps were pretty bad and all units died after 2 years... they're working fine since cap replacement, but are shitty anyways, there's no way you'll get claimed speed out of them, in my case it is 40-50Mbit max, but I use it just for printer and TV so it doesn't matter.
>>
>>59918786
I should also mention that the adapters themselves also generate a shit-ton of interference while also being affected by it.

See
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUZt94Ofa0w
>>
>>59918740
>only sold in pairs.

They usually sell kits with one master plus one or two slaves.
And they sell additional slaves separately to expand your network.
>>
>>59918612
This is the correct answer.
>>
File: 1489902436750.jpg (78KB, 800x900px) Image search: [Google]
1489902436750.jpg
78KB, 800x900px
>>59918559
Have Been Using Powerline Adapters for a Year Now, Connection Drops Out Constantly.

Get a Decent USB Wifi Adapter if you're really that worried
>>
>>59918693
I'm about to build my first house (well build as in pay for it to be built for me).
How expensive is it to have ethernet go to multiple rooms?
Do I need multiple modems?
>>
>>59918958
Stop Doing This, it's Fucking Retarded
>>
They're decent if you can't use cat6 for some reason.
>>
>>59918958
How Can Mirrors Be Real If Our Eyes Aren't Real
>>
>>59918559

If you aren't a shit cunt and want to actually go into some proper networking, either start running some CAT6, or for extra points with your wife look into mesh networking for seamless AP hopping.
>>
They cause tons of RFI and vary wildly in reliability. Just use cat6. If you can't do in-wall cabling there are options for surface mounting that shit so it doesn't look like ass.
>>
>>59918958
>USB wifi adaptor
Fucking don't senpai. When I'm downloading shit on the web I get a maximum download speed of 500kb/s, average of 100kb/s; total wifi bandwidth is 17Mb/s)
>>
>>59919018

Can't say from a cost perspective, but key thing from what I've told make sure you have room for more cables and redundancy for the ones that you have (1x2 for every cable) as it is a ficking shit when a cable fails. Since, you know you'll need the wall ripped to replace it.

You should be fine with two switches or so. Idk the size of your house.
>>
Works in my home
>>
I bought a pair of the cheapest I coud find (tplink) and they work as great as 100bit ethernet. Disconnections exist but are rare.
>>
File: IMG_1287.png (312KB, 800x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1287.png
312KB, 800x750px
Try Moca 2.0 adapters. They use coaxial cables to establish a network. I get gigabit speeds between the three I have in my house. They can coexist with over the air or cable Tv as well. I use these:

https://www.actiontec.com/products/home-networking/ecb6200/
>>
>>59918559
I bought a pair of these (with wifi), because the wifi was so bad in my room that even using the neighbors wifi was better than our own + I upgraded to Windows 10 which had no driver support for my wifi stick anyways.
Everything was fine, although the available maximum is only at 600 kb/s in my street it never fails to reach that speed, Ping is also at all times stable and as low as possible. But then I started loosing the connection with both wifi and LAN every few hours and it got worse and worse. It has been the same for my 2 cousins who bought the same model as me. Same thing for some people in this thread too

>>59918714
>1 This piece of shit is plugged in right in front of me under my desk, I really have to control myself everyday to not stomp it into the wall..

>>59918805
I don't know how to do that but I'll take a look into that, thx for the advice
>>
File: CvFcqR2VYAEc2Co.jpg (119KB, 1200x674px) Image search: [Google]
CvFcqR2VYAEc2Co.jpg
119KB, 1200x674px
>I will never, ever, own a house
>>
>>59918559
if your wiring is good, it works. Don't use it for IPTV stuff though, sucks for that.
>>
I used to use one around 2008/09 to connect my 360 to the router. Never had any issues but not sure how it would fare for regular internet usage.
>>
My sirecoms have been working really well for the past 3 years,never dropped the connection once.
It does however have a slower download speed according to the ookla speedtest.
>>
>>59919395
did you install these yourself? can you explain your setup
>>
>>59918559
ask your parents permission to run cable through the walls you child
>>
>>59918559
I use one specifically for ethernet and wifi in my room. It works great. Sometimes the internet cuts out for 30sec but maybe. Don't expect full speeds either. Mine gets 100mbs from my 300mb router but it's fine for what it does. Mines a few years old too so who knows.
>>
>>59918559
>using your electrical wiring as huge hub
shiggydiggy
>>
>>59918559
I've used it, it works, but I've also had bad experiences with TPLink.
>>
I have a tp link one and I get amazing speds compared to wifi, the only issue being that it disconnects probably twice a day for a couple minutes. Also they release new versions so often and don't support old ones, mine was brand new last year and is already not even listed on the support site anymore.
>>
At&t installed it at my house once. Aucked so hard. Lasted about 1 month between replacements of the plug. After replacement #2 they gave up and ran a line through the crawlspace.
>>
>>59919018
Very cheap, just make them go together with the power and antenna cables and setup a big enough space somewhere for the switches and router, together with the main power switch and other domotic stuff. Basically they just have to buy the wires and run them and then place female ports through the sockets, nothing special. Buy CAT6 for fututeproof gigabit (it should be around 0.50€/meter, CAT5 if you're poor (it werks and it's even cheaper)
>>
>>59918559
They work like shit compared to just setting up a wireless AP
>>
They're fucking amazing, ignore the shitposters
Still have some from 2012 that work amazing
Just make sure your hours is from the 70's or newer. A lot of older houses' wiring won't be able to handle it
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.