[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

HTML should kill JS.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

File: HTML5_logo_and_wordmark.svg.png (5KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
HTML5_logo_and_wordmark.svg.png
5KB, 200x200px
If HTML had like 20% more functionality we could just kill JavaScript. WASM will kill it for browser gaming, which shouldn't be a thing anyway.

I'm going to convert my website to HTML5 only soon because the proprietary dogshit WebsiteBuilder that GoDaddy gives me is totally unnecessary.
>>
>>59912495
If your brain had like 20% more functionality you would know that your a fucking retard.
>>
>>59912495
>html
>not a programming language
>should replace a programming language
>>
People will still use javascript just in case the browser doesn't have full support for whatever css selector, etc.
It's the considered the lowest common denominator.
>>
>>59912495
html5 already did its job which was delivering us from the hell known as flash
>>
>>59912495
I see you have no clue what you're talking about, but are trying your hardest to fit in by shitting on js for some reason
>>
>>59912613
HTML + CSS is turing complete

kys
>>
>>59912495
>spouting a bunch of words he knows nothing about
you got the thread title wrong, it should have said
>I should kill myself
>>
>>59912495

Yeah let's just keep stapling shit onto a markup language
>>
>>59912901
So does Brainfuck
>>
>>59912601
maybe that 20% extra would move xer out of the retard zone

CHECKMATE
>>
>>59913483
It wouldn't
>>
>>59912601
>your
>>
>>59912495
I would have been fine with Dart replacing Javascript. But WASM as a browser-based bytecode is great.

But extending HTML to a point that it could replace Javascript entirely? That would be hell to use. Leave HTML as a markup language.
>>
>>59912495
nigga no html is markup and it should stay that way.

wasm is not killing javascript, they even fucking say it complements it.

if you use mainstream cms then u should just find the nearest bus
>>
>>59912495
>kill js
what?
>>
>>59912495
Yes, HTML should replace everything. Then LaTeX should replace HTML.
>>
It's pointless to kill JavaScript before you kill the mindset that made it such shit in the first place.

>>59920321
Tex is probably a bit heavy for a web browser, especially considering we want to reduce bloat. Something like PostScript would be much lighter.
>>
>>59912601
fpbp

It's not that only JS is bad. HTML and CSS are damned to be slow forever garbage too.
>>
>>59920471
HTML and HTTP in general are pretty bad, considering the combination is meant to be a "document exchange" platform (by design).

The documents are worse than what troff/groff makes, and the exchange is hopelessly fragile (A link that goes dead makes a reference pointless).
>>
>>59912901
I heard this meme before. Do you have any proof that? Not a link to some retard saying it's Turing complete but the actual proof.
>>
>>59912495
Is this like when html5 did everything everything flash player did.
>>
>>59912495
>If HTML had like 20% more functionality we could just kill JavaScript

Nah. What you're asking for makes no sense. HTML is not meant for anything more than document structure.

It can't handle authentication, it can't handle logins, can't do ajax, can't handle dynamic UI logic, and so many other things for which a programming language is needed.
>>
>>59921143
I'd rather see HTML disappear than JS.

The DOM could very well be adapted to being built by JS templating, without HTML.

CSS is actually necessary and it has good performance (GPU/hardware acceleration).
>>
File: skull.jpg (161KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
skull.jpg
161KB, 1366x768px
>>59912901
Show me a jsFiddle that contains no javascript and has links that show alerts with variable output and changes the classes/text of elements on the page.

If you cannot do this you must suck five dicks to completion.
>>
>>59921143
The worst part of HTML is that its documents aren't very good. It, for example, doesn't have the natural ability to draw graphs and charts in the way that even contemporary technologies like postscript are able to do.

>>59921175
If HTML does go I'd rather it's alleged place as a document be replaced with a better format for self-contained documents.

Of course no one would use such a format for their articles and essays because everyone is addicted to shitty JS and strange "conveniences" that only seem to exist to give people jobs. No one had any trouble navigating major news outlets' websites before massive lists of collapsing menus.
>>
>>59912495
HTML is turing complete. What additional power do you need?
>>
File: 1397599464304.gif (985KB, 157x157px) Image search: [Google]
1397599464304.gif
985KB, 157x157px
When will you fgts realize that javascript is the best programming language. It can do everything at this point and it's the best entry level language. The only flaw it has is it was named by retarded twats trying to trick everyone into thinking it had anything to do with Java.

/g/ jelly.
>>
>>59921587
Just because it can do anything doesn't mean it should.
>>
>>59921587
http://www.jsfuck.com/
>>
>>59921632
What am I looking at anon?
>>
>>59921717
You can write any JS/ES code with 6 characters due to fucked up automatic casting.
>>
How big is the difference between the Moto G5 and the Moto G5 Plus ? Is the G5+ worth the difference in price?
>>
.>>59922638
Oops wrong thread
>>
>>59921739
thats not proof that javascript is bad
>>
>>59912613
Technically you could remove JS and wrap the features up in HTML tag attributes.

Templating was rolled in to HTML5 as a first-line feature.
It can be enhanced with JS, but it doesn't need it.

Lets pick form verification, you could add an attribute of "verify" to the form tag.
When it is present, it will use the fields data type to verify that it is indeed the proper format.
That format can be specified in most input fields as well. (if not all, not checked)

Likewise we have eval in CSS now, which makes some complex layouts very trivial. (even though CSS is a fucking disaster worse than JS, but that is another discussion)

The biggest reason webdev is so shit is not HTML, not JS, not CSS, it is the fucking DOM.
The DOM is a disaster that needs to be deleted and redone from scratch so it doesn't have INSANE levels of overhead.
It is so fucking broken. It has been hacked on top of for over a decade.
The new version, like Harmony, should be totally incompatible with previous code.
Backwards Compatibility is the fucking worst.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.