[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will it be the next "twitter killer"?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: mastodon-social-landing-620x349.png (192KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
mastodon-social-landing-620x349.png
192KB, 620x349px
Will it be the next "twitter killer"?
>>
>>59912197
The main selling point is focused on techies while techies don't use social networks
>>
File: 1491507418829.jpg (73KB, 297x249px) Image search: [Google]
1491507418829.jpg
73KB, 297x249px
>>59912197
no
normies will never swtich to anything because "everything is on (other platform)"
Unless twitter literally disappears tomorrow and Mastodon has a mass marketing campaign and gets le epin celebs to start using it then it has 0% chance of catching on outside of small groups of freetards that don't even like social media in the first place
>>
It's too difficult to use

nobody wants to work to set up a shittier version of something that already exists
>>
Remember identi.ca? Yeah, me neither
>>
>>59912197
No, they've already blocked half of the federation they've intruded on, regularly break OStatus compatibility, and outright ban free speech.

Mastodon Blocked Instances:
https://github.com/tootcafe/blocked-instances

I think Mastodon will be "successful" in that terrible sense that Tumblr was; it'll get popular and ruin the network overall despite it rapidly becoming an insular, sheltered society of SJWs and trannies. Will it be good though? No.

Now, there's free instances on OStatus like https://shitposter.club and https://unsafe.space as well. Those will be OK, if smaller.
>>
>>59912197
we already tried this shit, it was called diaspora and it was unused and complete shit.
>>
>>59912230
fake news, just that most that do would use mainstream ones anyway.
and thus the crowd for this ends up being small.
>>
>>59912732
>fake news
christ I can't stand people who say this
it's not even news you retard, why can't you just say "wrong" or "false"?
>>
A lot of normie japs are using it now.

>>59912673
Only some instances have done this, most don't
>>
>>59912894
The fact it triggers you so much encourages him
>>
>>59912894
caught one without even trying keke.
not even a pepe, stop getting worked up by some retarded phrase
>>
>>59912197
It has all the buzzwords no successful project has. Think about this for a minute.
>>
>>59912197
There's already something like that. It's called Quitter and literally the only 20 people who uses it are activists
>>
>>59912935
>some
Almost any Mastodon instance is a blocking instance, and nowadays they're a substantial portion of the network.

The postActiv/GNUsocial ecosystem is a mixed bag, but I'd say most are non-blocking by contrast.
>>
Gab.ai already did this and it's grabsge
>>
>>59913083
This and Quitter are a part of the same OStatus network; Mastodon is a broken OStatus implementation that keeps getting more retarded because Eugen knowingly breaks the W3C spec.
>>
>>59913190
Gab.ai is also proprietary software that doesn't federate, so as a Twitter alternative without the capacity to connect to external communities it was a doomed effort.
>>
>>59912247
This, Diaspora and Twister already tried this before.

People with two brain cells don't use social networking so the customer base ends up dying quick when you try to cater to non-idiots.
>>
File: 1487294331973.png (450KB, 558x950px) Image search: [Google]
1487294331973.png
450KB, 558x950px
>>59912894
>>
>>59912197
>next
you answered your own question, OP
>>
>>59912197
It's SJW shit, doesn't work, doesn't even let you sign on on their website (ebin sekrit club), impossible to delete account, instances are not linked, etc etc. If you shill for this over gab.ai you deserve to be gassed.
>>
>>59912197
No, because any free.and open communication platform invariably becomes overwhelmingly right wing
>>
What the fuck is the point of this when there's gnu social?

Why reinvent the wheel?

SERIOUSLY WHAT THE FUCK THIS PISSES ME OF FOR SOME INEXPLICABLE REASON
>>
the only thing that will kill twitter is if donald trump stops tweeting
>>
>>59912197
What's the point?
Just use tarballs and patches to communicate.
>>
>>59914072
Embrace, Extend, Extinguish. Why build your own protocol from the ground up when you can hijack somebody else's?
>>
>>59914072
Because gnu/social is a messy pile of php code that should be replaced asap.
>>
>>59912197
Minds is still better, and has a better chance of catching on than this shit
>>
>>59914263
See https://postactiv.com

It's improving, the GNUsocial project just needed a fork so productive individuals could actually make progress.
>>
>>59914301
Someone's also working on an elixir ostatus backend. Nothing wrong with fair competition.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.