[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shit developers do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: trash.jpg (43KB, 584x649px) Image search: [Google]
trash.jpg
43KB, 584x649px
>There is a new version of application available. Do you want to update now?
>Yes
>Page with download link opens
>>
>>59901605
It's alright for tiny programs. But now even windows 10 does this
>>
>>59901605

> Code up super shit web site
> Fucking thing dies in live environment with more than one visitor.
> Contact hosting and blame the server.
> Get told to find a developer.
> "I am the developer."
>>
>>59901657
I can understand it, when it's a major version release with tons of changes. But for instance CCleaner does this shit on weekly basis, with every minor bugfix
>>
>>59901744
CCleaner releases a fuckton of "bug fixes" because they want you to have to run through their installer again.

They're trying to trick you into installing some shitty toolbars or change your search settings so they can get paid.

Add right-click options to your Recycle Bin and run it from there and it won't bug you about updates. This is fine since 99% of their updates are trickery bullshit.
>>
>>59901829
what does running from the recycling bin do different?
>>
>>59901868
It does the same shit, but it runs it minimized in the system tray, then it exits when it's done.

You can also double-click it while it's running in the system tray and it'll open it up.

Neither of these trigger the automagic update checks.
>>
>it downloads the full installer
>installer needs you to remove your current install to install
>updates happens quite frequently
>qbittorrent
don't know why I put up with this shit
>>
File: eIhEjBu.png (177KB, 465x607px) Image search: [Google]
eIhEjBu.png
177KB, 465x607px
>able to program complicated software
>unable to program autoupdater
>>
>>59901605
This is far better than downloading and installing behind the scenes; suppose their servers were compromised. But going directly to the site allows you to manually verify checksums and signing keys and the site itself. Anyway, Linux doesn't have this problem.
>>
>>59901972
If their servers were compromised, they could replace the downloads on the downloads page and the keys too.
Linux mint has this problem.
>>
>>59901908
> qbittorrent

ima hook u up anon https://www.tixati.com/download/
>>
>>59901931
see
>>59901829
it's all about makin' dat kiznit
>>
>>59902008
>and the keys too
No, unless the private signing key was also compromised. I wasn't aware that this happened with Mint.
>>
>>59901908
Say thanks it keeps your settings
>>
>>59901605
>want you to download 200 mb for a minor update with 2 script files changed
>made with electron with (Achink better not delete this heart emoticon)
>makes a distribution of old legacy shit with perl scripts for installing updating and removal that won't work half of the time
>>
>>59901744
>disable update check
>disable everything CCleaner does when it's not directly opened
>uninstall CCleaner because you shouldn't need it in the first place
>>
>Pesters you with an 'UPGRADE NOW' screen every time you use it
>the upgrade is a minor fix that you have to redownload the entire 100MB application for
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.