[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Systemd

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: md328.jpg (64KB, 490x353px) Image search: [Google]
md328.jpg
64KB, 490x353px
So /g/, is systemd the cancer or the chemo? Should I switch to GuixSD and use shepherd.

(typed from my librebooted x200)
>>
I'm willing to bet that 99% of this board have no real reason to justify either side. The only real world difference for them (myself included) is typing systemctl instead of service, or journalctl instead of tail.

Just pick a distro that lets you get shit done and leave the low level Linux meme to someone else.
>>
File: red_hat_648.jpg (103KB, 648x348px) Image search: [Google]
red_hat_648.jpg
103KB, 648x348px
Because systemd is soooo big and scary, how do we know it is not part of some redhat conspiracy to implement NSA backdoors. Linus holds onto the kernel tighter than his nuts so it would make sense.
>>
>>59898611
It's open source. Anyways I like it so far. Boots a lot quicker for me.
>>
AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THAT MESS THEY CALL GNOME 3! JAVASCRIPT! CSS! ON A FUCKING DESKTOP ENVIRONMENT! I WANT ALL MY STUFF WRITTEN IN UBER C OR SOME FORM OF LISP!
>>
who cares

systemd does a lot of things right and I literally don't care as long as shit inits, my logs are organized and rotated for me, possibly even transported if i cared about that and my usb shit jus werks.

autism about muh unix philosophy is pointless since muh unix is garbage anyhow.
>>
oh and my timers go off at the right times.

it seems like systemd timers are actually persistent across reboots and i don't need some autistic anacrontab bullshit.
>>
>>59898421
It's makes shit a bit more complicated. Like running event scripts. But it ((seems)) like a more organized system in general, and way less buggy.
>>
I'm amazed at distros integrating Red Hat's obvious attempt at embrace, extend and extinguish into their own products.
>>
File: GuixSD-V.png (7KB, 159x141px) Image search: [Google]
GuixSD-V.png
7KB, 159x141px
Guix/GuixSD is the bright beautiful future of GNU and package management/operating systems in general.
That we ever didn't do it this way is retrospectively absolutely retarded - In 5 years, everyone is going to be [poorly] copying what they are doing today.
You should switch over regardless of your feelings about the Systemd cancer.
I've been using it as my primary OS for about a year - Everything else just feels unnecessarily crippled and inadequate now.
>>
>>59898521
And you can still read logs like you did before if you really want to.
Journalctl just makes it easy to find relevant stuff.
>>
>>59898767
Reminder that `open source' is a term coined in malice by a group of people who chose to deny the morality inherent in the use of software.
Every time you use the term `open source' when you mean `software that respects user freedom', you do the free software movement damage.
Open source is a business model and speaks nothing of user rights.
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html

Furthermore, just because something is free software does not mean it should be used or that it isn't harmful or malware.
Systemd is inauditable by virtue of being a giant ever growing monster.
>>
>>59900421
>Systemd is inauditable by virtue of being a giant ever growing monster.

This.

This is why heartbleed went unspotted for so long. The code was so bloated and opaque nobody could audit it.
>>
>>59898767
>It's open source
So is OpenSSL
>>
>>59898421
SystemD - Thread 5
>>
>>59898421
>one day HURD will be good
>gnu/hurd+guix+shepherd

I'm ready to laugh at system/systemd peasants.
>>
>>59900363
>what is Nix
Granted it uses systemd, (they are trying to move away from it though) but Nix has been doing what GuixSD did for a long time.
>>
>>59898847
t. Lennart
>logs are rotated
Not by default, on one of my machines that uses systemd, I still have log files from August 2015
>>
>>59898421
Reported. Signatures are against the rules.
>>
>>59901283
Guix/GuixSD of course happily pays their much due respects to Nix/NixOS.
In fact, it was started by some core Nix people - They saw what it had to offer, took what they had learned, and improved upon it.
>>
>>59901292
yes it does dipshit, it just takes a virtual decade before the size limit is reached
>>
>>59898847
>systemd does a lot of things right
Such as?
>>
syslog is human-readable. journald isn't. small corruption in journald data makes large parts of logs unreadable. have fun investigating what happened when your filesystem shits its pants.
>>
File: 1480708710733.jpg (816KB, 1450x1800px) Image search: [Google]
1480708710733.jpg
816KB, 1450x1800px
>>59898521
Writing systemd units is a fucking pain. Booting a systemd distro VS Void with runit on my laptop takes twice as long. I don't support systemd when its devs start demanding other software projects to change their APIs, making them incompatible with other init systems and dependent on systemd. Feature creep is a problem and makes the attack area against systemd larger for no good reason.

I can understand systemd in a server environment with a ton of boot/runtime dependencies to get right but it makes no sense on the desktop.
>>
>>59898421
it's a pretty good init system
>>
File: 1366588359804.jpg (31KB, 403x403px) Image search: [Google]
1366588359804.jpg
31KB, 403x403px
>mfw the inevitable day comes that systemd requires a total rewrite or a replacement as any software does that degrades with time
>mfw whole Linux system will crash at that moment and nobody will be able to implement the superior alternatives because all anyone is capable of comprehending is systemd and it is too deeply rooted
>Linux becomes Windows

>mfw faggots will use Linux as an excuse for why systemd should be the same shit, as if one negative excuses the other

KEK
>>
>>59898521
its not a meme, the design is flawed. binary logs are fucking awful and end up being inconsistent if an error occurs. and the simplest thing isn't even implemented in systemd, that once a service is started that the status is printed to stdout, you literally have to type 2 commands in order to find out if something failed, seriously, is that the definition of good software these days?
>>
>>59898767
a python malware is open source.
open source doesn't automagically make software trustable.

>>59898421
systemd needs to die
>back then a linux install could be portable and just werk on another HDD
>systemd kernel panicing and writing dumps in my poor 2GB free partition (RAM is 4GB on that system)
>systemd crashing xfs of my kaos install due to poor journal implementation

>>59901272
this is the future
systemdogs can just lick their faggot balls
>>
File: 1487325578050.jpg (88KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1487325578050.jpg
88KB, 1024x768px
>>59902410
We don't deserve this.
>>
>>59900421
Stallman said systemd is ok.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.