[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

vim masterrace

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

File: 1466225281243.webm (649KB, 472x560px) Image search: [Google]
1466225281243.webm
649KB, 472x560px
Is your shit code editor Turing complete? Can you use your shit text editor to program it? Can your text editor do fizzbuzz? Didn't think so.

Why aren't you using vim or neovim, /g/? It's literally the only god-tier editor.
>>
>>59888786
emacs > vim
>>
>>59888796
try to do in OP with emacs, cuck.
>>
>>59888786
yeah keep making fizzbuzz on your editor while thw rest of us do real work without going into petty fights like muh editor
>>
>>59888786
wow so you're able to type an incomprehensible vim macro to do something completely irrelevant.

good for you.
>>
>>59888839
Editor's one of the most important pieces of software to a programmer you retard.
>>
>>59888839
>>59888938
Exactly, how the fuck are you going to get any work done if your editor can't do fizzbuzz
>>
>>59888874
>incomprehensible vim macro

retard detected. maybe you should try a real editor and not program in a fucking Notepad, dumbfuck?
>>
>>59889014
I'm not the retard thinking I'm all leet and shit because I know what an incomprehensible string of characters and numbers mean.

there is a reason UNIXy bullshit like that died. because only the faggot who wrote it will know what is means and even that's debatable after a few years of not looking at it daily or not.
>>
>>59889014

and I do use vim you faggot, but I don't waste my time learning how to be uber leet vim golfer faggot like you.
>>
>>59889040
>I'm not the retard thinking I'm all leet and shit because I know what an incomprehensible string of characters and numbers mean.
you're definitely a fucking retard, wintoddler. you'll always be a brainlet.
>>
>>59889082
uh ok kid
>>
>>59888786

Because projects are much larger today, and we need a higher level view than one window.

We do more typing and actual editing of the code than jump around a few gigantic files.

All the vim users at my firm regularly violate line number limitations (as imposed by the company standard - 1-2Ksloc per file), and then have to spend a few days dividing their work into smaller files.

IDE users (usually CLion or something else), get the job done in half the total time.

Vim is great if you have one tiny display, the development hardware is unable to support a GUI, and your entire project will not exceed a few thousand lines.

Since we can cross compile, I see little benefit in developing directly on said hardware.
>>
>fedora 24 version isn't compiled with clipboard support

Pretty much stopped using it for anything serious. I still like it for writing scripts though.
>>
>>59889239
install gvim
you should have a vim binary called vimx.
just alias vim='vimx '
>>
>>59889239
or just type vimx and it will probably prompt you to install it since fedora is pretty solid distro
>>
>>59889239
learn how to compile shit. learn how to use buffers, brainlet.
>>
What's the difference between vim and neovim and why should I care?
>>
>>59889226
>higher level view than one window
you obviously know fuck-all about buffers, tabs and windows in vim.

>IDE users (usually CLion or something else), get the job done in half the total time.
top kek! I hope you're just trolling... because the alternative is that you're a fucking clueless retard.
>>
>>59889308
yeah I don't think you tried building vim on Fedora.

protip, you can set all the options in ./configure you want and autoconf will fail to find the X11 shit it needs even if you install all of them. It will literally output headers with the X11 shit off. It's fucking annoying.

vimx has the +clipboard option, just use that.
>>
>>59889325
>What's the difference between vim and neovim and why should I care?
Neovim is vim improved. They fixed tons of bugs and made lots of things asynchronous so you get shit done faster. vim was obviated by neovim.
>>
>>59889325
neovim attempts to be less "portable C" in favor of modern design and features.
>>
>>59889348
this. people just don't get what vim is capable of. Sad!
>>
>>59889014
Maybe you should try a real IDE and not program in a fucking text editor, dumbfuck?
>>
>>59889325
Neovim includes a badass terminal emulator.
>>
>>59889226
>Because projects are much larger today, and we need a higher level view than one window
Stopped reading there, retard.
>>
>>59889696
>IDE
>wasting time on using a mouse for fucking everything...
topkek
>>
>>59889359
>>59889279
>>59889293
Thanks guys
>>
http://vimcasts.org/blog/2013/11/the-copypaste-series-a-retrospective/
>episodes 51-59 on the topic of paste in vim
>58 and 59 specific to the quote plus register, or dealing with the lack thereof.
>>
File: out.webm (2MB, 716x874px) Image search: [Google]
out.webm
2MB, 716x874px
>>59888786
That wasn't hard. No need for bloated commands. core utilities is all you need.
>>
>>59890846
So this is the power of plan 9...
>>
>>59891021
autism9
>>
>>59889325
There isn't really a difference on the surface unless you're a plugin Dev probably. Even then, nvim is compatible with vim plugins.
It is asynchronous plugin calls though so the UI doesn't lock up as much when using a lot of plugins
>>
>>59890846
I admit that was cool.
I'm always impressed when I see people actually using acme.
>>
>>59888786
That's pretty cool

But.. still not remotely considering replacing my beloved IDE for that freaky thing though.
>>
>>59888796
Fpbp
>>59888820
You clearly dont know how emacs works
>>
Is emacs really based around using the Ctrl and Alt key a lot? I tried to get into it but noped out as soon as that showed up in the tutorial. I hate the Ctrl key so much.
>>
>>59892786
That has always been an issue with emacs.
Some people have realized that and developed modal key bindings for emacs, the same way vim key bindings work.
That way you don't use ctrl and alt when editing text.
>>
>>59888796
> comparing an OS with a text editor
>>
>>59892786
Yes, but its not any different in the sense that vim makes you do weird combinations of semi-colons, letters, and ! to achieve anything.

Plus all the keybindings are remappable in both, you can have vim keybindings in emacs if you want.
>>
>>59888786
People that spend hours arguing about text editors on a Cantonese cave drawing website don't actually do anything important with those editors.
>>
>>59888786
Vim is unproductive as fuck. What you don't realize is the fact that proper balance of keyboard and mouse usage saves more time than using keyboard at all times.

1. You are in the src/ directory. You gotta make a quick edit in something inside the lib/ directory
>Vim way
Toggle to nerd-tree, select and open. Now good luck with minimizing multiple files, keeping them open and editing files synchronously.
>Better way
Hover your mouse to the project file, open stuff in tabs and edit all you want. QUICKER

2. Oh you have to change the name of a variable within certain block?
>Vim way
Either deal with with :'<,'> s/abc/def/g autism
Or install one of 4000 plugins that offers you the method below:
>Better way
Shift+double click variables, multiple curosrs will appear. Now rename them. You can also use find and replace function

3. You want to increase/decrease indent?
>Vim way
Oh okay consider this autism:
:>> or << [you gotta select them with v: first]
>Better way
Select, right click, in/decrease indent

4. You wanted to add/remove "//" or inline comment sequences?
>Vim way
Enjoy :'<,'>norm i// for commenting and :norm ^x for uncommenting
Or use one of the 7000 plugin scripts for such a basic functionality
>Better way
See 3

WHY?

Okay you might be wondering why should anyone use Vim?
1. Because it has more plugins than any other editor in existence. Most of them should come prepackaged or should be put into large meta packages.
2. Extremely configurable. Themes are abundant to cater to your taste.
3. Editing on a remote server.
4. Toggling to a terminal is easy, depends on your setup. Autists use Tmux and normal people just use a terminal emulator with a built in multiplexer/staking support.

Why can't someone clone vim that
1. Is compatible with (almost) all plugins
2. Has a native clickable GUI with tabs and project explorer?

>use GVim
It's trash, more than terminal vim
>>
>>59889129
>Mac
KYS
>>
>>59894892
What do you recommend then?
>>
>>59895202
I recommend you to shove a sausage inside your dad's asshole.
>>
>>59888786
evil-mode

problem solved
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>59894892
it only seems quicker at first because you are already used to the mouse.

the thing with vim is that as long as you are ACTIVELY learning and optimizing vim everyday, you will improve your muscle memory which will improve your speed.

there's no way someone who can competently use vim at 8k-10k keystrokes per hour will be slower/less performant than someone with an ide.
>>
>>59894892
>1. You are in the src/ directory. You gotta make a quick edit in something inside the lib/ directory
alt+f (my ctrl-p fuzzy file opener keybind), type "lib a-few-chars-of-file" enter

>2. Oh you have to change the name of a variable within certain block?
>Either deal with with :'<,'> s/abc/def/g autism
select block in visual mode, :s ctrl-r ctrl-w / "new-name" enter.

>3. You want to increase/decrease indent?
>Vim way
>Oh okay consider this autism:
>:>> or << [you gotta select them with v: first]
Select in visual mode and that is indeed way better.

>4. You wanted to add/remove "//" or inline comment sequences?
\cc, \ci, \cm are my keybinds for that.

>WHY?
Because it's way more comfortable for me.
I feel seriously handicapped whenever I have to use a non-modal editor, everything is so tedious and you have to 'reach' all over the place, by it awkward ctrl/alt chords or the mouse.

>Why can't someone clone vim that
>1. Is compatible with (almost) all plugins
>2. Has a native clickable GUI with tabs and project explorer?
Because it would be useless.
>>
works in emacs:
f3
C-3 enter
fizz
f4
C-u 33 f4
M-<
f3
C-5 C-n
C-e
buzz
f4
C-u 20 f4
>>
>>59890412
literally all me. lol

>>59894989
at least it's running free software you fuck.
>>
>>59894892
set mouse=a

done, now you can do a lot of shit with the mouse if you want, which i do at times.
>>
>>59888786
Vim is fucking retarded.

Sublime Text, Atom, or Emacs is the only acceptable way to code.
>>
If I was doing Linux development then yes, but I am learning C64 dev, Ti-84+CE dev, and DX12 dev. So no, because then I would need to km.
>>
I like Vim but that's unnecessary, getting as bloated as IDE's nowadays desu
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.