[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, this is gonna sound retarded, but how do you just get the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Comcast-Modem-Image.png (52KB, 302x475px) Image search: [Google]
Comcast-Modem-Image.png
52KB, 302x475px
Hey, this is gonna sound retarded, but how do you just get the internet?
No older adults can help me with this, they're all about getting landline/cable/internet packages which are WAY too expensive and offer FAR too much.

Phone would be taken care of, cable is shit.
I just want the internet. Really only need to load sites on par with this one and stream video on tube sites.
What are my options?

I have an old PC, currently it's getting online through wanna these, out of the wall, with the telephones.
If I bite the bullet and buy say a newer, shitterier laptop, will that offer me something more economical? (My PC's old enough not to support HDMI. Could never get it online back in 2011 on Rutgers internet.)
>>
>>59881714
>how do you just get the internet?
Talk to a internet service provider in your area and see if they can offer that.

>If I bite the bullet and buy say a newer, shitterier laptop, will that offer me something more economical?

What do you mean?
>>
>>59881714
a lot of ISPs offer just internet, it really depends on where you live.

the only difference between a new modem given to you by an ISP and the one you have now is that the new one wouldn't have phone lines. as long as you have an ethernet port on your computer you should be alright.

protip: whenever you do decide on your service, buy a modem for yourself. you can pay a one time cost of $60-$80 dollars for a modem instead of the $10 a month an ISP would charge you for using theirs
>>
you call the company, and then they salesperson spends 30 minutes asking you things like "so what do ya like to do on them there internets", and you tell them you're not interested in answering that question, and then they will try to sell you a cable package, you will say no, and then they will say the best offer for you is x/month, and then you tell them you are REALLY not interested in the "free" landline that "comes with" it and then they magically discover a more basic deal that is x-$10/month

and then a month later you see some $9.99 charge for a movie that they claim you rented from them and have to yell at them for another 15 minutes to get it taken off the bill

i think if you don't bring your own router they'll gank you with a montly rental fee for one of theirs. you can bring your own modem if you like, but most likely they will still charge you the hidden monthly rental fee for using theirs. then again im not an expert this is just the experience i had when i moved recently
>>
>>59881714
you could probably get by on just tethering 4G from your phone

You also sound underage b& and you should fuck off for having no idea what you're talking about.

/g/ is not your personal tech support.
>>
>Rutgers internet
Don't worry, the clusterfuck of resnet and ruwireless network configs make it impossible for many.

Comcast Xfinity has a $29.99/mo package which they don't advertise but will give you if you push for it on the phone. Just keep saying that all of the other packages are way too expensive. Note that all told it comes to ~$40 with fees and modem rental. And it goes up after the first year.
>>
>>59881714
>how do you just get the internet?
Plenty of ISPs offer just internet. You just have to be specific and say you don't want channels, phone, or whatever else. DSL comes with a phone line, but that's just the nature of DSL. You don't have to use the phone at all.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.