[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is CDE as comfy as it looks?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: CDE-3.png (43KB, 1013x765px) Image search: [Google]
CDE-3.png
43KB, 1013x765px
Is CDE as comfy as it looks?
>>
>>59881299
no, because it cant be customized at all
>>
>>59881379
why customize perfection?
>>
>>59881432
because all the bundled software is outdated featureless garbage, the file browser for example doesnt even support thumbnails and cant be replaced
>>
>>59881299
>>59881587
>>59881379
Just install mwm
It works without problems on any distro and doesn't have useless bloat
>>
>>59881654
Looks cool, I think I'll check that out.
>>
>>59881299
>CDE

What's up with the weird font rendering?
>>
Stop shilling CDE
Thanks
>>
continue shilling CDE
thanks
>>
>>59881821
No, stop it imo
>>
>>59881797
It's called "serifs".
Ancient pre-2005 stuff, you're too young to remember.
>>
>>59881890
Serifs in UI was always a meme
They exist solely to fix printing (on paper) errors
Computer screens don't have this problem
>>
>>59881379
>it cant be customized at all
this is not bloat/GNOME/KDE

>>59881587
>featureless garbage
non-bloated*, they do what they are supposed to do

> the file browser for example doesnt even support thumbnails
bloat

>cant be replaced
just use bloatware
>>
File: 1485730017550.png (225KB, 470x496px) Image search: [Google]
1485730017550.png
225KB, 470x496px
That looks like absolute garbage, anon, what are you smoking?
>>
this is fucking gay I drank SO MUCH and still ain't drunk
>>
>>59881299
It's a little different from modern paradigms but it's fine depending on your use case. I like the Slowlaris distribution better than the "vanilla" flavor mostly because of GWM, which isn't necessary at all but it looks nice, and I run it in a VM on all of my systems for most of my *nix shit. The lack of a taskbar really compels you to utilize virtual desktops more than other DEs offer, which is nice or annoying depending on what you do.

I've started to enjoy KDE a lot more lately though, since with a bit of customization I can emulate my CDE setup pretty well, though I think CDE looks better with lots of panel icons, KDE widgets look like shit especially if you blow them up.
>>59881654
I use this on a lot of my other *nix systems, it's very nice. Lack of virtual desktops is a pain though and I'm still not sure how panning is supposed to work. Documentation feels kind of lacking.
>>
>>59882203
The fuck are you on about? serifs have nothing to do with printing, it is just the legacy of roman capitals which had serifs due to the limitations of chisel stoneworking techniques, unlike egyptian stone lettering which was "sans" due to using awls
>>
File: 2017-04-14 10_57_44-.png (79KB, 2560x749px) Image search: [Google]
2017-04-14 10_57_44-.png
79KB, 2560x749px
>>59881299
This is comfy af. And yes its still windows 10 god gaming OS.
>>
Compiling on CentOS 7.3
I have no idea what the equivalent of build-essentials for CentOS is, nor the xfonts-100dpi-transcode, but this worked. The fonts will appear bold and the icon editor does not look buggy as it happens in Ubuntu.

To run rpcbind in insecure mode on CentOS, you can create a file called
/etc/sysconfig/rpcbind and add this line:
RPCBIND_ARGS="-i"

yum install libXp-devel libXt-devel libXmu-devel libXft-devel libXinerama-devel libXpm-devel motif-devel libXaw-devel libX11-devel libXScrnSaver-devel libtirpc-devel xorg-x11-utils libjpeg-turbo-devel freetype-devel openssl-devel tcl-devel ksh m4 ncompress xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-{1,14,15,2,9}-100dpi xorg-x11-xbitmaps rpcbind bison

# Install CDE
cd cdesktopenv-code/cde/admin/IntegTools/dbTools
sudo ./installCDE -s /path/to/cdesktopenv-code/cde/

# Run the linux post install script (this does have a couple of errors reported)
cd cdesktopenv-code/cde/admin/IntegTools/post_install/linux
sudo ./configRun -e

Note: This may terminate with inetd errors. These are harmless and can be ignored.

# It seems this dir needs to be writable by every user of CDE
sudo chmod -R a+rwx /var/dt

# Directory required for calendar service
sudo mkdir -p /usr/spool/calendar

# Create or modify your .bashrc and add /usr/dt/bin to your PATH
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/dt/bin
export LANG=C
# Start CDE
startx /usr/dt/bin/Xsession

This should boot into the CDE desktop

(You can change the export LANG=C to LANG="fr_FR.ISO8859-1", LANG="de_DE.ISO8859-1", LANG="es_ES.ISO8859-1" or LANG="it_IT.ISO8859-1", for non English languages.)
>>
File: 1428365228904.jpg (22KB, 252x249px) Image search: [Google]
1428365228904.jpg
22KB, 252x249px
>>59885777
(checked)
'Swell.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.