[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Booting to old HDD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: laptop.jpg (157KB, 1200x727px) Image search: [Google]
laptop.jpg
157KB, 1200x727px
Alright /g/,

I have recently lost my laptop due to water damage but the hard drive is fine...

Im on a desktop replacement right now, how can I boot into my old operating system to pick up where I left off?

Pic related: the laptop someone sabotaged....
>>
Have you tried plugging the laptop HDD into your desktop motherboard?
>>
Get a sata/usb adapter and connect it to your laptop

Then boot into it
>>
You deserve it for buying a piece of shit gaymur laptop, and for using windows which shits itself if you try to boot it off a computer different from the one which it was first installed.
>>
>>59880832
yeah i tried this
>>
no

the hard drive can be accessed, but will not boot correctly

different hardware, and im sure its OEM windows so it will be locked

your best bet is to try and repair your laptop, OR, retrieve whatever files you need, and push forward on a different system
>>
>>59881047
And did something happen?
>>
>>59881047
just put me on a black screen flashing underscore
>>
>>59881078
need a replacement motherboard for an asus g750jw but i have no idea where to get one that isnt coming from china, and not going to take months to arrive because by that time the returns period would be over..
>>
>>59881199
>just put me on a black screen flashing underscore
Boot into GNU/Linux and try mounting a partition from the HDD
>>
>>59881478
I have no idea how to do that, is it possible to do it from windows 10?
>>
>>59881550
Yes
>>
>>59881585
how do i get my new desktop to boot from a certain partition on my old hdd?
>>
>>59881631
I think you just need to recover your files as best you can at this point anon, why do you need to boot w10 from that hard drive anyway.
Also, what do you mean someone sabotaged that briefcase looking fucker in the pic, do tell.
>>
>>59881660
woke up one morning to the thing doused in water..... literally still frying its own internals..
>>
>>59881699
...you're not much on a raconteur are you anon?
>>
Just do update-grub in a linux terminal on the hard drive you were originally booting from before you added the old hdd. It should automatically detect the windows partition on the old one and mount it for you.
If that doesn't work try:
menuentry "Windows 10" {
set root=(hd0,3)
chainloader +1
}
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.