[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dualboot vs VM

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1489789562117.png (962KB, 800x752px) Image search: [Google]
1489789562117.png
962KB, 800x752px
So i ordered a R5 1600 rig yesterday, and am wondering how to have Windows for gaymen and Linux for work related tasks. I only have one Monitor so running them parallel doesnt seem like a good idea to me. Sharing Files across both OS' is also a major concern for me.

What's /g/'s preferred way to have the best of both worlds?
>>
>>59856226
/g/ doesn't play gayms.
/thread
>>
>>59856249

/pcb/ and every Ryzen thread proves you wrong.
>>
>>59856261
A board shouldn't be defined by it's cancer.
>>
>>59856226

If your hardware supports VT-x or Vt-d AMD equivalent then before you even think about starting you will need to have access to 2 GPUs, not sure if your R5 1600 has an integrated GPU would save you a fair amount of money.

Follow this guide for GPU passthrough using KVM+QEMU
>https://www.evonide.com/non-root-gpu-passthrough-setup/
Use samba for file sharing with windows guest.
You can run both parallel on a single monitor if it has 2 ports you can manually switch between, otherwise get a 2 port switchbox.
good luck
>>
>>59856226
VM.

I have been in your shoes for a long fucking time. I've wanted to use Linux full time for everything other than "muh vidya", but I'm forced to use unstable Wine crap or dual boot. That was before I knew about passing through a GPU to a VM.

It's a lot to learn in the beginning and it might take you 3-4 hours to set up (give or take depending on how Linux savvy you are). There's a million guides out there to hold your hand when doing it and once it is done you'll seriously have the best possible setup. I'll never dual boot again because this is fucking perfect.

The setup process is not what stops people from actually using it, it's the requirements. You need the following:

>VT-d (or AMD's thing. Intel's VT-d is the best supported one).
Some old K processors do NOT have this which is the main reason why so many can't do this.

I have no idea about the AMD side of things. I know all the Ryzens do have this though.
>VT-d/AMD thing compatible motherboard
Not all motherboards are compatible with VT-d. Most are though. This has been a problem with Ryzen so far, where the IOMMU groups have been shit which means the two GPUs are in the same IOMMU group. Some have managed to get it to work, others have not.

>Two GPUs.
An internal GPU (all Intel CPUs have this, except X99 CPUs) and a GPU is completely fine. You have an R5 1600 which does not have a internal GPU. This means you need an extra GPU (one for Linux, the other for Windows). One can be a beast, the other can be some old crap you have laying around or some generally pre-owed cheap shit. Personally I have a 660 and a 770.

If you have all that, the process is rather simple. The hardest thing about the process is getting flawless sound, you might need to fuck around a lot to get the sound working perfectly.

This guide is absolutely fantastic and tells you about most ins and outs, but is quite Intel specific:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF

I'd also check out /r/VFIO
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.