/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Data centers decline

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: magicalmysteryclouds.png (19KB, 650x301px) Image search: [Google]
magicalmysteryclouds.png
19KB, 650x301px
http://www.computerworld.com/article/3188885/data-center/data-centers-decline-as-users-turn-to-rented-servers.html

I get it, companies move on from proprietary storage into decentralisation, still

>The global square footage of data centers, after recent boom times, is also expected to slide.

That's some sloppy phrasing. They're always writing it as if cloud was some imaginary sphere that doesn't require any anchor in our reality.

Also future of cloud storage/computing thread.
>>
>>59855716
>>The global square footage of data centers, after recent boom times, is also expected to slide.
that's because of bladecenters and SANs though.

One datacenter at my old work had like 5 racks filled with servers. Then they moved to a bladecenter over a rather long time. Now they have only three racks filled. One with a bladecenter, the other with harddrives.
>>
>>59855739
Also greater rack density through virtualization
>>
If we could hoard all the data in the world into one place, and throw away anything that's worthless junk would we even have 1GB?
>>
>>59856081
If you considered everyone's opinion about what part of all of our data is 'worthless' then we'd have zero bytes purged ;)
>>
>The number of data centers worldwide peaked at 8.55 million in 2015, according to IDC. That figure began declining last year, and is expected to drop to an expected 8.4 million this year. By 2021, the research firm expects there to be 7.2 million data centers globally, more than 15% fewer than in 2015.

Shouldn't the market be flooded with dirt cheap used server hardware in that case?
>>
>>59856516
It is, look on eBay and AliExpress
Most of it is Nehalem and Bulldozer hardware though
>>
>>59856516
>>59856946
Still need a decent rack which always seems to be fucking expensive for one that doesn't look like its been hoarded in the Boss's bathroom for 13 years
>>
>>59855739
This. Worked for company with 32 racks that were already blades. We condensed all servers down into a single rack of Cisco UCS blades. We still had about 10 racks of storage and some racks with random appliances and network gear, but VMware hosts all down to one rack.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.