[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it so hard to make a glass protector for a curved screen?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5

File: device-hero2.png (129KB, 377x388px) Image search: [Google]
device-hero2.png
129KB, 377x388px
Why is it so hard to make a glass protector for a curved screen?
>>
Idk
/thread
>>
>>59849288
>Using "protectors"
WHY? They don't even protect phone from falls, look bad and some times interfere with the capacitive touchscreen.
My old S3 have a screen good as new
>>
>>59849309
Protection from scratches. There are some cases where the protector cracks instead of your screen
>>
>>59849309
I never understood this either, touching the actual screen feels so much nicer than one with some shitty protection.

Its like having sex with a condom.
>>
>>59849431
Most good phones have scratch resistant screens already, even chinks ones.
Also, if you drop your phone frecuently then the phone isn't the problem.
>>59849470
This but don't go there anon.
>>
Thin glass does not flex very well and the adhesive used is not meant to be strong as much as its meant to be tacky, keeping things from sliding more than actually sticking down on the surface
Also with the adhesive, screen glass is extremely smooth, and adhesives dont like to stick to it anyway

So these protectors need to be bent while still extremely hot, which is a very expensive thing to do compared to just pressing out flat protectors

Maybe dont buy a phone with a gimmicky screen.
While i like what the 2014 Galaxy Note Edge did with one side being curved, it was more of a "look what we can do" kind of thing more than a functional addition to the phone. Yes it was nice to use your fingertips to tap things with your left hand, but it really wasnt useful for much more than that.
>>
>>59849502
Sand can scratch gorilla glass
>>
File: sd.png (137KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
sd.png
137KB, 300x300px
>>59849578
>Putting sand on your phone
>>
>>59849632
>sand gets in pocket with phone
>sand rubs on phone every step you take or movement you make
>phone screen gets scratched by sand
>>
>>59849666
>getting sand in your pocket

Satan leave.
>>
File: confused-nigga.jpg (14KB, 431x431px) Image search: [Google]
confused-nigga.jpg
14KB, 431x431px
>>59849666
>sand gets in pocket
>>
>>59849309
>They don't even protect phone from falls
Yes they do

>look bad
Objective

>some times interfere with the capacitive touchscreen
No they don't

Tempered glass screen protectors feel the same as the standard screen. They don't affect capacitive touch. And they will shatter rather than your actual screen in the event of phone being dropped on it's face.

I would rather pay $10 and replace a screen protector than $100 for a new screen.
>>
>>59849685
>>59849688
>I never leave the house
>>
>>59849699
>I live in Syria
>>
>>59849710
Wisconsin actually
>>
File: 1486836690697.jpg (100KB, 700x701px) Image search: [Google]
1486836690697.jpg
100KB, 700x701px
>>59849710
>>
>>59849685
>>59849688
Have you never done any sort of farm work, manual labor, yard work, gardening, or any other activity outside that will get you dirty? I get sand / dirt / sawdust / etc in my pockets all the time.
>>
>>59849696
You're clearly just posting from anecdotal evidence, but I repair iphones for a living, and everytime a customer complains about a bad "screen" when their fingers aren't recognized easily 99% of the cases is their screen protector.
>>59849699
>Projecting this hard
>>59849746
>Have you never done any sort of farm work, manual labor, yard work, gardening, etc
Yeah, and I just leave my phone on the table on those moments
>>
>>59849766
>moments

I'll spend entire weeks working on projects like that, it's not feasible to be without a phone for 10-12 hours a day for multiple days. Not to mention the pockets of pretty much all my jeans have trace amounts of sand embedded in them by this point.
>>
>>59849699
>>59849746
I have. But I don't have my phone in my pocket while working. I'd probably break it.
>>
>>59849688
yeah, my pocket sand
>>
>>59849798
Easy, get a belt clip or just use a pocket that isn't exposed to your work.
Don't you get protective gear while doing those kinds of jobs?
>>
>>59849766
>You're clearly just posting from anecdotal evidence

No I'm basing this off of the laws of physics. If the screen protector is made of tempered glass, electricity will have no problem being conducted through it and there will be no change in capacitance measured by the device when compared to the screen alone.
>>
File: dbcadfb131b0f86466431a7380e62aef.jpg (113KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
dbcadfb131b0f86466431a7380e62aef.jpg
113KB, 1000x563px
>>59849685
>>59849688
not that guy but i live on the beach in northwest indiana

sand just kinda gets everywhere
especially if its windy
screen protector and a case with rubber plugs for ports is a must
>>
>>59849844
So, you just post pseudo-science thoughs about what you think but you never actually saw them failing on the real world, ok
>>
>>59849829
>Easy, get a belt clip or just use a pocket that isn't exposed to your work.

Eh, I hate belt clip cases, I end up catching the phone on everything and ripping it off all the time. All pockets are exposed to dust / dirt sometimes, no way around it. I could get a phone case if I was really concerned about it but I don't like the feeling of bulky cases.

I just buy $200-$300 phones and replace them with something new every 1-1.5 years.
>>
>>59849502
Hey, sex without condoms can work. Ever heard of the pull out method? Feels good and no pregnancy.
>>
>>59849578
Sand can scratch screen protector as well
>>
>>59849926
I'm more of a safe-day thing but thinking of getting pills
>>
>>59849926
>Feels good
yes
>and no pregnancy
wrong

Just tell your woman to get an IUD.

>>59849944
Screen protectors are easy and cheap to replace.
>>
>>59849502
>Also, if you drop your phone frecuently
So if I only drop my phone once in a year then I don't need the protector? What about that one drop? So I just let my screen crack that one time because "oh well, at least it only cracked once"? Fuck that. Glass protector cracks and saves my phone from that one drop, I spend 8 bucks and order another from Amazon, two days later my phone's looking fresh again. Fast forward another year and a half, two years, phone's still in top form but I'm looking for an upgrade, now I can sell it because the glass isn't cracked.
>>
>>59849844
Glass is not conductive.
Changing distance between digitizer and fingers will reduce detected capacitance.
>>
>>59849696
It's closer to $300 to replace the screen if you have a curved screen.

When I broke my S7 edge everyone I called said they couldn't replace the glass without replacing the whole screen.
>>
>>59849746
No I'm too wealthy to be doing mexican labor.
>>
>>59849893
Are you retarded? You have provided nothing but anecdotal evidence yourself. Have you even taken a physics course in your life? What part of the physical laws of electricity is psuedo-science? God damn you are stupid. No wonder you repair iphones for a living.
>>
>>59849899
clip it to your panties
>>
its not.

applying them correctly has always been a real PITA
>>
>>59849309
>They don't even protect phone from falls

Literally just happened to my father last week. He tripped with phone in hand, phone hit the ground first, face down. Huge crack in the glass, phone looked awful. Peeled off the glass protector and the actual screen was perfectly fine, it was just the protector that was cracked and shattered.

Anecdotal, but they do work. Maybe not always, but its better to be safe than sorry.
>>
>>59849288
Do these fit with phone cases like this?
>>
>>59849993
It's not a great insulator in this application either. Tempered glass screen protectors tend to run around 0.3mm thick. That is not enough of a distance to significantly reduce detected capacitance. And in either case, touch detection software is pretty advanced now a days.
>>
>>59850099
Increasing the glass thickness out of spec is not a big deal but apparently significant enough to make lighter touches fail to register on shittier phones.
>>
Anyone know of a decent screen protector for an s7? The edges are very slightly curved so flat protectors don't stick around the edges. Using a basic bumper too.

I agree most people probably don't need them but I get abrasive dust from belt grinders/ steel working equipment in my pockets. Use my phone to stream audio
>>
>>59849926
Cumming inside with a condom>pull out desu
>>
>>59849288
>Why is it hard to curve a fragile rigid piece of glass?
kys
>>
> not using liquid armor
Great for scratch protection and feels just like the real thing
Go to staples they shill the fuck out of it but its pretty good
>>
>>59849309
You're thinking of the shitty plastic protectors everyone used to use, glass protectors are god tier and feel no different than the real screen. When it falls the glass protector will break first, and you can peel it off and replace it no problem like this guy >>59850034
>>
>>59853076
/thread
>>
>>59853076
.The entire thread was about this until repair said there shit.
>>
>>59849288
da joos don't want you to protect your property or family
>>
>>59849502
>gorrila glass
>scratchproof

Maybe if you have some sissy personality where your fingers are all smooth as baby, your wont even wipe of the dust from the screens.
>>
>>59849944
That's the point, if it starts to get so bad you can replace it with a price of a shitty stick of bubblegum.
>>
>>59849955
>>Just tell your woman to get an IUD.

ISIS pls leave
>>
>>59849853
>sand just kinda gets everywhere

Anakin detected.
>>
>>59849288
Not hard. just expensive.

Need to have a curve die for pressing process. for flat screen protector, you just need a shear and hole press

Our company were planning to make one (because of market gap and subsequent opportunity associated with it) but the production cost (considering we're making about 100k of those) is about 25 bucks/piece so the project was scrapped
>>
>>59854171
>people spend 800 bucks on a fucking smartphone
>then they don't want to spend $35 for a screen protector
I'm sorry for your company.
>>
>>59849288
It's not hard, it just isn't economical.

Most glass protectors are cut from large sheets of glass. It is the most efficient and economical way of producing them as you can cut several different sizes/designs from a single sheet to maximize space.

With curved edges you need to produce the glass curved or curve it after cutting, either of which adds cost.
>>
>>59854795
That's life. All the other screen protectors are so cheap that they won't accept the cost of curved protectors.
>>
>>59850119
I use a Gorilla Glass protector on my S5 and I've never had a misregistered touch, if anything I'd be more apt to desensitize the capacitive detection since more often than not while browsing bornobhagy it registers the webbing between my thumb and forefinger on the corner of the screen. Horrendous annoyance.
>>
>>59849685
>>59849688
Sand gets everywhere and it's coarse. I hate it.
>>
>>59849688
Dude pocket sand. It's like belly button lint. Its just there
>>
>>59850034
The Note 7 had a shattershield screen which wouldn't break from falls, the technology's there but are people prepared to pay for it?
>>
>>59849288
Why is it so hard to take care of your little toy?

>>59854795
What's the point of spending all the money if it's going to be covered by ugly plastic? Might as well buy chinkshit if couple bucks for a new phone is such a big deal for you.
>>
>>59854795
That's production cost. Unless we're going full ebay and craiglist,(recommended) retail price for the damn thing is at least 60 bucks
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.