[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What skills do you actually even gain with a CS degree which

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

What skills do you actually even gain with a CS degree which magicly employ you everywhere? Is there a difference between being Tech Savy and being Tech Savy + degree ???

CS is such an extensive topic, what the fuck can you possibly learn in a few years??? D:
>>
Algorithms basically.
You go to school in order to know what to google.
It's a lot of math which helps.
Also muh networking with potential employers and memeups
>>
to learn to think mathematically and not base everything off rote learning/google is what your aim should be.
>>
You go to uni to prove you're not a dumbass (and to spend your youth drinking and banging girls instead of working in some dead end cubicle)

Anyone who would choose otherwise is an idiot and that is why no one will give you a job if you don't go.

And yes if you pay attention you will learn some comp sci concepts which are very helpful in later life.
>>
File: nQmbwU1.jpg (56KB, 1440x1441px) Image search: [Google]
nQmbwU1.jpg
56KB, 1440x1441px
Ok, so basicly..
You just learn "think different"(tm).

But in terms of becoming an productive employee for said company, the only thing you gain is a nice piece of paper that proves you're not a dumbass?
Meaning that you still need to take seperate curses to learn the skills required for the job you chose >> after << you got accepted? I tought the point of getting a degree is to be prepared for whatever job the degree gets you, not to learn what to do afterwards..

:/
>>
>>59847927
learn some neat concepts, take a lot of math classes, spend my days browsing the internet, coding, and masturbating. college life is pretty cool.

plz kill me
>>
>>59848072
This 100%
Former recruiter here, if you dont have a degree of some kind, it goes into the trash.
College just gives you a piece of paper, and a fucking expensive one at that. I don't care what your GPA was, what matters is that you can do what you list on your resume, and about 80% of people without a degree tend to bullshit knowledge (or just have a "basic understanding", aka writing hello world) when we interview them, so it's really just about reducing the # of applicants to sort through.
Your github speaks miles, but everyone puts their github down, and I dont have time to look at your actual coding skill when I've got 300 other applications to go through by the end of the day.
If I don't toss the resume, then I will look at your github when determining who to call for an interview.

Go to college, kids. It's expensive, but it seriously expands your opportunities. Also, some positions, mainly big data/machine learning, require an MS, not just a BS. So keep that in mind.
>>
>>59848187
Degrees don't get you jobs, connections do, and being connected to a pretty good school is a good first step
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.