[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do we still use binary? Using only 1s and 0s is terribly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

File: images(2).png (14KB, 865x354px) Image search: [Google]
images(2).png
14KB, 865x354px
Why do we still use binary? Using only 1s and 0s is terribly inefficient especially as clock rates increase. Wouldn't it make more sense to use the alphabet instead that way you would have base 26 instead of just base 2 and you would get 13 times the efficiency for the same clock. So 4ghz would be 52ghz equivalent.
>>
>>59847256
Wow you must be a genius nobody though about it till now...pluss your math is so on point.
What s left ti do is to ask electricity to learn the alphabet.
>>
File: 1455559582359.png (178KB, 303x311px) Image search: [Google]
1455559582359.png
178KB, 303x311px
Do you know what the 1s and 0s stand for?
>>
>>59847313
>Do you know what the 1s and 0s stand for?

Something to do with sex?
>>
>>59847256
how does an electrical impulse have 26 states einstein?

off on 0 1
>>
>>59847256
My electricity understands the alphabet AND numbers from 0-9, so my electricity is better than your electricity.
>>
>>59847313
Off and on obviously. There's nothing stopping engineers from turning binary switches into 26 miniswitches in the same space.
>>
>>59847344
Use analogue then genius. We managed to convert analogue phone lines to digital data so this shouldn't be too difficult.
>>
Ternary would be good, but you have the last 60 years of binary logic thrown out the window.

I don't think OP understands how binary works.
>>
INB4 quantum computers. They're just a meme with no real world application.
>>
>>59847344

That depends on how you interpret the states. How do you suppose certain types of signal modulation works?

>>59847256

Easy to build, not too inefficient (actually VERY efficient with logical operations and bitwise shifts etc.). No ambiguity ever.

It's just easy to deal with and extremely flexible. There's no need for trinary etc. when binary works extremely well already AND works better with logical and bit-level operations.
>>
>>59847441
There was a rusky ternary computer:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setun
>>
Horrifying logic gates!
>>
>>59847375
Wait, wait, I have even better idea! What if we will use floating-point numbers instead? So we will have a whole INFINITY number of symbols in one byte! Well, not actual infinity, because precision is a thing, and if we can read only 10 digits after the point then writing more precise symbols won't work. Still, I think that's a great idea. I think I should patent it (please don't do it instead of me, that's my idea and not yours).
>>
>>59847457
they can do quantum mechanics simulations in real-time if you have # of qubits >= atoms

that's pretty sweet
>>
>>59847631
That's what he meant by no real world application. If it can't run crysis what's the point.
>>
>>59847684
i hate nu-/g/
>>
>>59847313
They dont stand for anything they are physical 1's and 0's
thats why power supplies are so big they have to fit millions of 1's and 0's in there

>>59847375
Yes there is. A miniswitch is made up of transistors. A binary switch is a transistor.
>>
>>59847344
Not him, but couldn't you concievably use something resistence to communicate multiple different values? It would affect the total watts which is something measurable.
>>
>>59850624
>use resistance
fixed
>>
>>59847375
>what are bytes/words
>>
>>59847375

So you mean parallel...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oux-TkVfBgU

First of all you can do 26 symbols with less than 26 bits. Doing 26 symbols with bits however means that you waste a couple because 26 is not a power of 2.

Second of all they tried that already. PCI used to be parallel but in the newer PCIE they switched back to serial and it's way faster. All of the newest buses do the same thing.
>>
File: 1484011752588s.jpg (5KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1484011752588s.jpg
5KB, 250x250px
>>59847256
Because at that point you're limited to fucking punch card machines, you stupid fucking nigger.
>>
If you build a practical computer that uses base 26 instead of base 2 I will detach both my bottom ribs and skull fuck myself.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.