[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

best desktop environment or window manager

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: בחירה_003.png (28KB, 613x270px) Image search: [Google]
בחירה_003.png
28KB, 613x270px
hey /g/
been using plasma for cupple of month but i dont really like would love to hear your opinion about other envirments or window menegers
>>
The one that best suits your needs
>>
i cant just try them all that why i would love to hear some opinions :)
my need is to run cupple of VMs
write some VHDL code
and be really nice looking and minimalistic
i dont really like plasma because it some times conflicts with other aplication i use for instense the whole system is in english and i need support for other languages it really massed things up...
>>
>>59831263
I became attached to Ratpoison, the wm that is not the actual poison. The defaults are incredibly handy but you can tweak it and script it, can't think on using anything else. Granted, is not for everybody and is hard for the non-pro user, but the keybindings are GOAT, you could say is like emacs but in reality is like GNU screen.
>>
>>59831263
If you want windows-like layout, you can try Cinnamon or riced Xfce.
>>
xfce + compton for comfyness or i3 for animefags these are the only available options
>>
>>59833559
This. Although I don't understand what you mean by "i3 for animefags"
>>
>>59833823
>RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE
>>
>>59831263
xfce + openbox as wm + compton
>>
>>59831263
I like awesome on my laptop because it alleviates the need to use a mouse. I can accomplish everything I need with keyboard hotkeys. On my desktop though I like to use the mouse so I use a riced Xfce. Thinking about switching to awesome on it as well and just make it more mouse-friendly.
>>
Ctrl+Alt+[F1-F9] to switch ttys, just install a bunch and try them all out.
Personally, I started with awesome and never had a reason to switch.
>>
>>59833845
my sides
>>
File: 2017-04-10-215510_688x445_scrot.png (24KB, 688x445px) Image search: [Google]
2017-04-10-215510_688x445_scrot.png
24KB, 688x445px
>>59834525
>I was talking about animefags, but you know
>>
>>59831477
>run cupple of VMs.

run a few more basic VMs and test out different DEs and WMs. Hell, buy a dirt cheap desktop/laptop and fuck around with it till you think you have something you like.
>>
File: 1485563869125.png (288KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
1485563869125.png
288KB, 1366x768px
There's something about xfce
>>
File: 1486064100819.png (34KB, 290x100px) Image search: [Google]
1486064100819.png
34KB, 290x100px
>>59834556
-Creating an Infinality-like font configuration for Arch-

From a clean slate on Arch we can now create a similar font configuration to the infinality-bundle's without having to use the patched packages. It is now possible to easily get great-looking results with the default interpreter.

1. Create the following symlinks to instruct freetype2 to use good-looking rendering defaults
sudo ln -s /etc/fonts/conf.avail/11-lcdfilter-default.conf /etc/fonts/conf.d

sudo ln -s /etc/fonts/conf.avail/10-sub-pixel-rgb.conf /etc/fonts/conf.d

2. Modify (or create)
/etc/fonts/local.conf
to contain these contents: https://pastebin.com/rnDtdzt5

3. At this point your fonts should look pretty good but we can do even better by making sure that we have all fonts on the system that were defined as substitutions earlier. To do this we need to install the packages
fonts-meta-extended-lt
and
fonts-meta-base
from the AUR which will build the rest of the fonts required.

After having done all this, restarting the X-server by logging out and back in should apply all changes.

-Screenshots-
Linux - Wikipedia: http://i.imgur.com/SM1gH6p.png
Github - http://i.imgur.com/P6ZFvJn.png
Arch website - http://i.imgur.com/NgXzDTA.png
>>
>>59834676
I've done it, help me anon, what went wrong?
>>
>>59834556
that is some awful font rendering
>>
>>59834733
Maybe you missed something critical. Try again.
>>
>>59831263
Hey dingus, you do know that even CGA allowed all sixteen colors in its text mode, right? The purple/cyan aesthetic was only for low-resolution graphics modes.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.