[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

UBUNTU GENERAL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 16

File: ubuntu_7.10.jpg (734KB, 1550x1550px) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu_7.10.jpg
734KB, 1550x1550px
Without Ubuntu you wouldn't be using desktop Linux today.

For years Mark Shuttleworth spent his own personal money sending FREE CD copies of the latest version of Ubuntu to EVERYONE no matter where in the world you lived at his own expense.

Those FREE CDs made tens of thousands of people install and use Linux.

No person has given away more of his own personal money to the Linux community.

SHOW SOME FUCKING RESPECT FILTHY NEWFAGGOTS
>>
>>59829982
the people who hate on canonical/unity are paid shills.

Microsoft pays marketing forms to post here to cause in-fighting and fragmentation.
>>
>>59830004

There's enough hate for Ubuntu by freetards
>>
I was 12 when I got my 8.04 CD, I was so excited and happy as a young aspie, spent hours fucking with it and learning it, probably the most aesthetic and functional distro I ever tried.
Just heard they're switching to gnome 3, sad
>>
File: url.png (619KB, 960x571px) Image search: [Google]
url.png
619KB, 960x571px
>>59830004
The people who are most happy about the Ubuntu failure are the Red Hat employees shilling on this board right now.

They are the one that have no competition now that Unity is dead, that means more control of the Linux ecosystem for Red Hat, they basically own everything now.

So no, it is not Microsoft, but the cancerous Linux community the one that killed Ubuntu and Mark's dreams.
>>
File: 02_PLYMOUTH.png (12KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
02_PLYMOUTH.png
12KB, 1024x768px
i love ubuntu! specially ubuntu mate!

>no bloat
>customizable enough
>lots of official PPAs for recent software goodies
>it just works!

i love ubuntu! wouldn't trade it for anything :D
>>
>>59830077
Same here. Hardy Heron was my first Linux distribution. Intrepid Ibex looked good as well.
>>
>tfw still have this cd-rom

Thanks Mark
>>
>>59830179
>>59830004
>crying this hard that the open source meritocracy judged Unity and found it to be lacking

Canonical's at its best when they're refining and tweaking other people's shit, rather than inventing shit on their own. There will be other UIs, and who knows, they may even stand a chance at succeeding on their own merits rather than mere attachment to a popular distro.
>>
>>59829982
> covert art diversity
> no muslim
now i see where they went wrong
>>
>>59830293
9.10 was the last good release in my opinion, i switched to lubuntu after that
>>
File: linux.png (732KB, 866x655px) Image search: [Google]
linux.png
732KB, 866x655px
>>59830004
>Microsoft pays

Redhat pays them. Redhat has always been hostile to Ubuntu since the start.
>>
>>59830004
>>59830179
get fucked, shuttlecock. I remember when Ubuntu was all about the community, about being "linux for human beings"

>ignoring the community at every turn
>CLAs
>SJW stupidity
>lies about wayland used to justify Mir
>NIH syndrome: the company

..and then he has the audacity to cry that the community abandoned his meme UI. Another person who lost touch with humanity because of too much money.
>>
File: MY COOL DESKTOP.jpg (217KB, 1200x673px) Image search: [Google]
MY COOL DESKTOP.jpg
217KB, 1200x673px
>>59829982
LE NOOBUNTU U SHOULD USE ARCH LULZ
>>
>>59830348
>pic
linuxtards will defend this
>>
>>59830372
>botnet 10
>flux
>keyboard layout
kys
>>
>>59830314
>open source meritocracy

Unity is the most used linux DE you fucking imbecile, the fact that it was killed even after having the most merit really tells you how shitty and cancerous the linux community is.
>>
>>59830372
>not including any basic bitch weeb music
0/10
>>
>>59830179
>They are the one that have no competition now that Unity is dead,
Nigger, this is false. How the fuck would a DE keep an entire distro down? Red Hat is barely a threat to anyone outside of businesses. I doubt you'll find too many neets on this board who are willing to shell out the kind of money Red Hat costs.There is no shilling going on, Unity users are acting like crybabies and blaming everyone else for Shuttlecunt's decisions.He did this to you, nobody else did.
>>
>>59830454
No it was definitely GNOME 3 that was the most popular.
>>
>>59830354
>ignoring the community at every turn

Like GNOME devs who reject patches from the community to fix their shitty software?

>SJW stupidity

Like GNOME?

>NIH syndrome: the company

Because when it is not made by Red Hat they have nih syndrome. Linux is about choice only if it benefits me.

Kill yourself.
>>
>>59830454
>it's the default in the most common distro, therefore it's good on its own merits :D

I bet you think IE was the best web browser too.
>>
>>59830483
>>ignoring the community at every turn
Like Ubuntu does?
>>
File: Clarkson said it.jpg (91KB, 400x363px) Image search: [Google]
Clarkson said it.jpg
91KB, 400x363px
>>59830483
Who said anything about GNOME being good? They're just as retarded.

>what is upstart
>what is mir
>>
File: ubuntu circlejpg.jpg (11KB, 320x158px) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu circlejpg.jpg
11KB, 320x158px
Thank you Ubuntu
>>
>>59830490
Nice apple vs orange comparison, no one uses Ubuntu because it came pre installed. People actively look what they want to install.
>>
>>59830504
>Like Ubuntu does?
Forgot to mention that Ubuntu leeches off the Linux community and returns nothing other than their own "SECRET PROJECTS". All of Canonicals bullshit caught up to them.Be mad at them, the rest of the community tried to warn you idiots this would happen. There are plenty of projects in Linux that have far more attention and resources being thrown at them, and even those have to struggle. There was no way Canonical would be able to maintain their "Unique Junque" for very long.
>>
>>59829982
Remember folks: Linux is about choice... the choice RedHat devs make for you.
>>
All these threads made by Red Hat/Gnome shills to bash another open source project only tells you how shitty the Linux Community is.

Thank god I do real work on my Linux machine and this doesn't affect. Though it is always fun see freetards fight with themselves.
>>
>>59830631

I see you have all the usual Red Hat talking points.

Enjoy Ubuntu snaps that have made installing Linux applications as easy as Mac OSX. https://snapcraft.io/
>>
>>59829982
I agree, no matter your perspective you got to appreciate the shuttle
>>
File: 4565.jpg (65KB, 521x800px) Image search: [Google]
4565.jpg
65KB, 521x800px
Ubuntu is the only distro who's leader went into space.
>>
>>59830922
It's just a rip-off of flatpacks. Get out of here!
>>
>>59832532
ayyy lmao
>>
>>59832712

Snaps are way older.

So it's a ripoff of something that's trying to rip it off?

Gotcha. More Red Hat American 4D chess.
>>
>>59832769
"Flatpak, named xdg-app until May 2016, is a system for application virtualization for Linux desktop computer environments."
Wrong. Snaps were introduced later.
>>
>>59832815
Flatpak is s shit design, having all those dependencies installed with only one program is the worst from the Microsoft world, and that is a hell lot of shit
>>
>>59832884
They both are kind of shitty in my opinion. I don't like the idea at all. I just wanted to point out that the idea had existed before Canonical tried to claim it.
>>
>>59829982
Ubuntu hate is stupid, it's one of the best and most competent distros out there. They sometimes do some questionable things, but they always correct their mistakes eventually and deliver a great product. People should learn to ignore trolls, that's all.
>>
>>59833301
As someone who outgrew Ubuntu, I agree. Is the best place to start and is ready for work from the get go.

Trolls are just wrong.
>>
>>59830348
>pic
DELET THIS
>>
File: 8-inch-floppy.jpg (14KB, 430x319px) Image search: [Google]
8-inch-floppy.jpg
14KB, 430x319px
I love Ubuntu. Been running it as my primary system of choice since 8.04.
>>
File: 6.06lts.jpg (1MB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
6.06lts.jpg
1MB, 1920x2560px
>>59829982
Got mine about 11 years ago, never installed it because I had 64MB RAM with an old Pentium at the time lol

was a poorfag and could not even run lincuks that was sent for free from netherlands to my southamerican shithole, had to settle for win98 (pirated obviously) until I upgraded a while later
>>
Question about "Ubuntu flavors": the only difference is the desktop env, right? KDE, Xfce, MATE, Gnome instead of Unity is the only thing that changes, correct?
>>
File: mint.png (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
mint.png
1MB, 1920x1200px
thanks Ubuntu for being the piece of coal that non africans polished into a diamond
>>
>>59836621
Yes. They basically try to get some of the same things across, but with different DE's.
If you want to use mate, it is easier to install Ubuntu mate and then tweak a few things than it is just installing the DE yourself and removing all the stuff you don't need from the other DE that was there before.
Ubuntu does have meta packages, so you can do it, but I have tried it a few times over the years and it didn't always work flawlessly.
>>
Ubuntu is great.

I don't use it, but I appreciate everyone who makes an effort to create a viable alternative to Microshit pajeet spaghetti code.
>>
File: 120866345IVflSI_ph.jpg (100KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
120866345IVflSI_ph.jpg
100KB, 750x750px
>What's going on in this...
>oh fuck
>>
>>59836688
Thank you very much.
>>
>>59829982
>Without Ubuntu you wouldn't be using desktop Linux today.
B-but anon, I run Windows 10
>>
>>59836659
underrated in all fields
>>
Newfags are ungrateful fuckheads
>>
>>59832815

FACTUALLY 100% FALSE!!!

Flatpack doesn't even do the same thing, it's DOGSHIT and nobody uses it.
>>
>>59830077
>Just heard they're switching to gnome 3
wtf i love ubuntu now
>>
>>59839244

Same
>>
>>59830004
I liked canonical, but when they decided to do their own way...
I mean, wtf, working with open source, why instead of doing your way (unity, mir) not just use what you have and improve that??
I liked ubuntu when it had gnome 2.
Now, meh...
Recently installed gnome ubuntu on laptop, though.
Looks like gnome ubuntu will get more attention now, so that's good.
>>
File: yuri_wow.jpg (139KB, 239x523px) Image search: [Google]
yuri_wow.jpg
139KB, 239x523px
>>59829982
>Without Ubuntu you wouldn't be using desktop Linux today.

Yeah right. I started using GNU/Linux in 2001.

Ubuntu was released in 2004.

It must further be noted that Ubuntu is just Debian with some bloatware added. Debian are the basis for Ubuntu and they are the ones doing all the hard work.

It wouldn't have mattered if Ubuntu wasn't formed and never existed, not even a little.
>>
I don't even use Linux anymore since I grew up and started buying Macs because I need software for my job not available on Linux but if I did I would only use Ubuntu.
>>
>>59839686
Nice anecdote, autismo. Might want to compare the popularity of Ubuntu and Debian on Google trends.
>>
>>59840235
https://www.ubuntu.com/about/about-ubuntu/ubuntu-and-debian

"Debian can be considered the rock upon which Ubuntu is built"

There you have it, right from Ubuntu's own website.
>>
>>59829982
F
>>
>>59829982
>No person has given away more of his own personal money to the Linux community
Ian gave his life
>>
>>59840456
My point was that Ubuntu brought tons of people into the Linux world. So the sentence you quoted is correct no matter how you started to use Linux or what Ubuntu contributed back to Debian.
>>
>>59840482
Goodnight sweet prince.
>>
>>59829982
Is ubuntu 17.04 going to be with gnome 3? Or should I install ubuntu gnome?

No flame pls, i just don't feel like using unity
>>
>>59840756
It's going to ship with Unity.
Good news for me is that Unity 7 will be around even in 18.04
>>
>>59840778
Is it known which version of ubuntu will start having gnome?
>>
>>59840858
18.04 is confirmed but I think 17.10 is going to be the first because it's not an LTS and they can afford big changes to iron out bugs before the next LTS
>>
>>59840897
So should I use Ubuntu Gnome until october 2017, or there are better ways to install gnome on ubuntu?
>>
>>59840935
sudo apt install gnome-shell
Or download Ubuntu Gnome, they are basically the same thing.
I wish gnome shell had a global menu and not the plain retarded UI designs to waste vertical space.
>>
>>59840995
I'm not sure what you mean by global menu, but there's a gnome extension who let you activate the old menu with applications and stuff.
If this is what you meant, you don't even have to download the extension, is already there (disabled) in gnome 3.14
>>
File: penguins.jpg (628KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
penguins.jpg
628KB, 1600x1200px
How is kubuntu's KDE compared to the one from openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed?

Last I tried, Ubuntu 16.04 had quite a few issues.

Should I switch to KDE Neon?

I really like KDE and Ubuntu, openSUSE is cool but has fewer packages and is generally not as well supported as Ubuntu/Debian.
>>
>>59841358
Well, I never tried Kubuntu so I can't give you a comparison with openSUSE, but openSUSE has one of the best KDE you'll ever find, most distros consider KDE a second class citizen, openSUSE does not.

Besides, I seem to remember the reason KDE team made KDE Neon was because they weren't satisfied with Kubuntu's KDE
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.