[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why the fuck do you use Arch?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1491796352808.jpg (36KB, 878x738px) Image search: [Google]
1491796352808.jpg
36KB, 878x738px
Why the fuck do you use Arch?
>>
>>59827694
install gentoo
>>
Why not?
>>
>>59827694
Install openSUSE
>>
>rolling release
Everything is fresh and when I read some news about new kernel it is on my machine within few weeks. When theres new version of whatever application, its extremely fast in repos.

>AUR
The huge community driven repository that arch has - https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/
It feels like what was promised when I switched to linux, but has not been delivered in other distros. When I read about something, I can find it on AUR, when I see someone mention a new project, theres very likely a git package on AUR of it. It's incredible and makes arch feel much more comfortable than dicking around with google and PPA on buntu distros and such.

>no bloat and ease of customizability
Of course you can play with any distro and switch stuff around, but arch is build from the ground up and maintained in the spirit that you get to choose your combination of packages, and if you want i3 on top of KDE with custom kernel running, it is absolutely prepared to guide you and deliver that.
>>
Manjaro + AUR

no ragrets.
>>
>>59827715
>the community
When I was choosing distros and was hopping around my most important requirement was that it has to have larger active community to have somewhere to turn for news and help, and feel like project is moving and living. Arch community goes beyond this. Even some programs I use like Deadbeef or Bomi seems to originate on arch forums.

>clean packages
I dislike modified packages that you sometimes get in other distros, some can be of interest, like opensuse firefox-KDE has better file picker dialog(btw its on AUR). But generally I really like having packages to be vanilla without modifications. You know what you are getting and wont get some surprises, making you wonder why something is different.

>using it provides knowledge
I've been on linux almost a year, on arch 6 months, I feel that if I would stay on mint/opensuse that I was on first part of my linux experience, I would learn a lot less. Maybe this knowledge is virtue out of necessity, but in the end it still knowledge.
>>
>>59827715
>Everything is fresh

Everything is buggy and breaks what worked before
>>
>>59827738
>Everything is buggy and breaks what worked before
not my experience
occasionally theres an issue usually fixed with a quick upade
but its rare, the use of word everything seem like quite a hyperbole
>>
>>59827715
A question about AUR since I just switched to Arch... Do you need a separate tool like yaourt for updating the packages from AUR or is there any way I can do it with pacman?
>>
>>59827783
yeap
you need aur helper like yaourt or pacaur
pacman wont accommodate on its own
>>
File: 1479804436019.jpg (10KB, 228x217px) Image search: [Google]
1479804436019.jpg
10KB, 228x217px
mfw I wasted two years using Arch, wasted time that I will never ever get back.
>>
It's nice and easy to have things how I want them when I start up, it has a great repo with documentation that's so good that it's recommended for ANY distro flavor

I mainly use windows though because I'm poor ass to mouth and have to secondhand a computer full of old family photos no one wants to take the time to back up

And Im saving up to buy a thinkpad after I save up to buy a camera

End of blog
>>
Arch is the worst distro in the history of Linux.

All the Amerifat CANCER was poured into it.

It only attracts asshole users which is why the community is filled with pushy agro loser fuckheads.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.