[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to teach yourself how to program?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 146
Thread images: 12

File: Czf6x1AXgAE6BRG.jpg (103KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Czf6x1AXgAE6BRG.jpg
103KB, 800x1200px
>>
No, not without prior extensive knowledge of how computers work.
Unless you're a million monkeys with infinite time.
>>
>>59823422
I must be a million monkeys with infinite time, then.
>>
Yes, grab yourself a book or a online course about a programming language of your choice and start learning.
>>
>>59823404
Totally impossible you first need a phd in math.
>>
>>59823438

For real?
>>
If by "teach yourself" you mean read tutorials and documentation and figure it out for yourself from some other material? Sure, I did.

If you mean go from absolutely 0 knowledge about programming without referencing any material at all to knowing how to program purely with guess work? Sure, it'll take you fucking ages though and you'll probably develop some awful habits.
>>
>>59823404
entirely possible, but if you're in late 20s or older it becomes harder
>>
Here is how the average guy learns to program:
1. Decide what you want to program
2. Start to create it with tutorials in your browser
3. Halfway you discover you did everything wrong
4. Now you know the basics and can start with a real project

This is how programming js not learned:
1. Follow a book or tutorial
2. What did I read again in the last chapter
3. Continue reading
4. Receive your degree
>>
>>59823460
yes, i only got two phds and was barely able to figure out basic
>>
>>59823486
Are you memeing or what?

>>59823478

That's why tutors are important. If you try to learn everything by yourself, you're bound to develop bad habits.
>>
no, impossible
>>
It's easiest to learn as a child when you have infinite time on your hands, but yeah.
>>
No, just give up now. Not a single person has ever successfully taught themselves how to program. You need a teacher for that.
>>
>>59823437
anyone can do this
>>
>>59823478
There is one essential requirement though.
Knowing how to divide your first "project" into googleable problems.

I know people who've never been able to figure that out.
>>
>>59823478
university in a nutshell. They are shitting grads out nowdays.
>>
Honestly... If your degree doesn't end you up being at least $100k in debt that you don't know shit about programming.
>>
>>59823404
Yes read SICP.
>>
>>59823404
That's a dude isn't it?
>>
Yes. I've basically done that for my job. Just pick up a few textbooks and actually write code and you'll be fine.
>>
>>59823478
>>59824066
>>59824149
Do they really not require students to undertake an actual projects in programming courses?

Even the humanities courses I took in college included projects where you had to include secondary research material. Business-oriented classes like Public Relations even threw group projects into the mix. Hell, even if you were a humanities major you had a portfolio of essays by the time you were done.
>>
>>59824857
Of course they do, but it's usually stuff you an half-ass with stackoverflow.
>>
>>59824857
Of course you need to do projects. But they can't compete with someone who does it as a hobby.
>>
File: 1489482278651.jpg (58KB, 541x566px) Image search: [Google]
1489482278651.jpg
58KB, 541x566px
>>59823404
It is if you stop posting here and instead go and learn how to program online or whatever
>>
>>59824886
>stack overflow is half assing
If you're gonna see it like that then any job ever is half assing since almost all bugs have been had by someone already and are searchable on stack overflow
>>
>>59823404
If you don't go to a meme college / uni, you'll have several semester-long projects every semester forcing you out of your programming comfort zone and teaching you about every area of programming.
Was programming hours a day as a hobby since I was 12 and I consider what I learned at university very valuable, i was forced to figure out both how everything work under the hood and very close to the CPU, and more abstract sides of programming like parallelism and functional, logic programming...
Most people programming without a degree are bound to write suboptimal code because they know little about computer science.
Besides, if you go to a good university, your teachers will teach you good habits.
Don't listen to the memes here from people mad that they can't get a job without a degree they know nothing about, or people mad that they paid thousands to the wrong institution.
There is a good reason behind the salary difference.
>>
File: 15031361.jpg (7KB, 200x200px)
15031361.jpg
7KB, 200x200px
>>59823473
>be 25
I was good at math in highschool. I still have hope... right?
>>
Isn't that girl in OP's pick SCF3, that Pokémon streamer? Looks like her at least.
>>
>>59823404
first understand & learn how to read code.

each language has their own intricacy,
research to one that would fit your needs.
(eg. i develop stuff in unity and discovered i would rather use C# than javascript for compatibility reasons)

View scripts online then start altering them from slight to major changes.

All this comes with time, you will also notice efficient ways of coding later down the line,
>>
>>59823404
It is possible to teach yourself everything. You could teach yourself taekwando. You could teach yourself how to speak japanese. Yes, you can also teach yourself how to program. Sure, you may make mistakes, but if you apply your knowledge in practice, you will eventually manage to figure out and correct your mistakes.

However all of this requires effort, and if you go online asking if it is possible to tech yourself anything, then you probably are not willing to put enough effort in it to learn anything.
>>
>>59825067
Only one way to find out dude.
>>
>>59823623
>If you try to learn everything by yourself, you're bound to develop bad habits.

Yes, but if you practice often enough, you will work out those bad habits. Partially due to having more experience, and partially due to necessity.
>>
>>59825015
Where can you find these meme colleges/unis? All the Cs students I know are coding all night for their assignments
>>59824312
>implying that you live in US or UK etc.
>>59824857
Of course they do
>>
>>59825015

>logic programming

Ah man, I sorta miss prolog. It was so simple and intuitive, yet surprisingly powerful. Wish I had payed more attention to those classes, even though I hated the teacher...
>>
>>59825231
I don't know. I'm in Europe, I assumed most colleges and unis in America are meme-tier schemes (I think since I don't have to pay for my education, I have a lower probability of having been lied to or targeted by false advertisement from my institution)
>>
File: 1480258642605.jpg (159KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1480258642605.jpg
159KB, 1280x960px
>>59825118
Already started on a C# book and when I finished it I'll try to put together a simple game and then make simple projects to complement some hobbies and work. Maybe later on I'll learn some other languages as well.

Should I brush up my basic algebra skills as well?

Anyway, wish me luck, brothers.
>>
>>59825365
Good luck. C# is a great language. Any applied mathematics is a plus in the life of a programmer. Except if you are talking about abstract algebra or algebraic topology, then only if you are going to work on crypto
>>
What language would you recommend? My friend who is a programmers told me to pick python or java. Is he a cuck?
>>
File: Frustration_9d8b27_151719.gif (1MB, 350x322px) Image search: [Google]
Frustration_9d8b27_151719.gif
1MB, 350x322px
>>59823404
No, you cannot teach yourself programming and anyone who says you can is either trolling or ignorant.

Learning to code is very similar to learning a spoken language. Before you can really say anything or carry on a conversation, you basically have to know everything as the possible combination of statements is too complex. Think about it. After about the age of 12, the ability to learn a second language to the point of fluency is pretty much nill. This is why you cannot learn to program on your own.

My suggestion is to find something else that interests you and pursue that instead. Programming and by extension pretty much any other STEM related activity is pretty much out of your league at this point. Sorry.
>>
File: 1479862498724.gif (953KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1479862498724.gif
953KB, 500x375px
>>59825408
I'm not even sure what abstract algebra is, that's how basic my knowledge is about this. I'll stick to applied mathematics.

>>59825886
>After about the age of 12, the ability to learn a second language to the point of fluency is pretty much nill.
Had to point out that this is bullshit. The modules that are needed for language acquisition might deteriorate such as memory and some fossilization might happen during language learning and you will fuck up some word orders but it can easily be sufficient to communicate.

If we follow this simily of yours and accept what you say, it would be true that you will only be able to write programs that work when you perfectly acquired everything that is possible to know about a programming language.

It's not true in either programming and natural communication.
>>
>>59825980
Abstract algebra is mainly important if you work with cryptography.
Anyway my main advice would be to study computer science in a college.
If that's impossible, grab an algorithm book and power through it. It will probably be hard to stay focused, but it is important to understand algorithm analysis and data structures like graphs and heaps etc. at the theoretical level.
From my experience, the math at the beginning can be discouraging but once you reach data structures you start to understand to grand picture.
After all, programs = data structures + algorithms
Just don't think that you can avoid it and just stack overflow a program into existence,because without realizing it you will just fill out the void from this knowledge with approximations and intuitions which will slow you down over time. You'll sometime look for mistakes which are just from improper use of the standard librairies, etc..
Besides, any interview at a decent tech company will contain many algorithm questions
>>
>>59823404
Let me make this simple for you.
A carpenter and a civil engineer need to build a bridge to support 10 ton trucks.
The carpenter only knows how to build using wood.
The engineer will use whatever he need to build a good bridge.
The carpenter slaves away for weeks and uses massive interlocking blocks of wood.
The engineer decides to use some wood, some concrete, and mostly metal beams.
After it is finished, the carpenter cost 1000 more dollars, and it collapsed in a week.
The engineer's is still standing and didn't cost as much
This is because the carpenter only knew wood and not math, or physics. The engineer was comfortable enough to know the end goal, and use whatever he needed to get there.

In our case, the carpenter is someone who's only known Fizzbuzz and Prime under 2 mill, but engineer someone who understands I/O, data structures, memory addresses, etc.
>>
>>59826460
>In our case, the carpenter is someone who's only known Fizzbuzz and Prime under 2 mill, but engineer someone who understands I/O, data structures, memory addresses, etc.

What is stopping someone from learning all that on his own through subject textbooks and implementing it with lab manuals?

(I know most wanna-be coders don't have that kind of drive -- but some do.)
>>
>>59826632
I forgot to say but I was just clarifying the two mentalities one should chose when self teaching. Don't get stuck being the carpenter.
>>
>>59826078
>Abstract algebra is mainly important if you work with cryptography.
Nice meme
>>
>>59826460
When you try to use an analogy but you end up using a fallacy.

Nice false equivalency.

>>59823404
No op. You need to go into debt and spend years in college to learn anything.

Humans are just too stupid to learn anything on their own. Sorry. Now i can get you started on how to get low interest college loans with bad credit.
>>
>>59826679
oic

Good insight. Are you a graduate or self-taught?
>>
>>59825886
This is what Americans actually believe.
>>
>>59825488
Websites?
HTML+CSS then Javascript
Linux programs?
Python and then C for Linux
Windows programs?
Visual Basic then C#
Mac programs?
Java then Objective C
Mobile programs?
Java(android) and/or Swift(ios)
Math and data science?
Python
Hacking?
Python or sql
>>
>>59826709
Junior in CS undergrad
>>
>>59823404
Yes, you can learn to "program" simply by doing the free HtDP book http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/matthias/HtDP2e/

It's sequel PAPL http://papl.cs.brown.edu/2016/

or the edx.org course for HtDP https://www.edx.org/micromasters/software-development (contains other courses for 'software development')

You can teach yourself CS Theory https://functionalcs.github.io/curriculum/

And you get a cert from IEEE proving you know all of the above for about $400 or so https://www.computer.org/web/education/certifications#Catalog (see Software Developer's Associate Cert) to bypass resume filter sites.
>>
pick language, go to their website, read
>>
use codecademy.com its good at teaching the syntax and free, but you need to keep using the language in other programs it to make it stick
>>
>>59827065
FUCK codecademy, horrible for a pure beginner since it jumps to advanced topics way too quickly

sololearn is the way to go senpai
>>
File: 1461891016605.gif (873KB, 346x360px) Image search: [Google]
1461891016605.gif
873KB, 346x360px
>>59823404

I've been trying to learn C#

Not so far
>>
>>59823404
as long as you have 8 hours of free time every day, sure.

self taught PHP developer making 60K reportan

the idea is to create 6 garillion personal projects before attempting to apply for your first job.

>i'm self taught
get's you fucking nowhere

>i'm self taught, but look at this badass thing i built
gets you somewhere with basic pay

>i'm self taught, i've spent the last 2 years building relationships with local clients and building products to server their needs
>also, heres a list of my last 5 personal projects
gets you somewhere with the ability to negotiate pay

>i'm self taught with 5 years of professional working experience, and a bible of personal projects
gets you nearly everywhere

make sure to read a bunch of books on algorithms to help you out

look what/how the local college is teaching students, and buy similar books on amazon and read though them yourself.

learn PHP or C++ for steady work, i know both, my last job i was building drivers for *nix/windows/pi, my current job is building an extensive credential tracking repository.

you literally need to code until your eyes bleed from monitor strain before you can really get into this.

It's not exactly "harder" than people say, but it certainly takes a lot fucking more time and dedication than people think.

also 1: CODECAMPS ARE A FUCKING MEME

also 2: jumping in too deep can help out SOMETIMES, my first personal project was a 4chan clone (just made the content, never setup a site), was too fucking advanced for me, but gave me plenty of chances to learn new things, rather than starting/stopping 20 different projects just to learn the basics, took probably 1-2 weeks to build everything.

Now i'd consider that childs play, and could whip something up in 2-3 days (if you consider a full admin backend)

also 3: theres no money in creating websites, unless you know how to create extensive web applications (ie 4chan, amazon, etc), static sites pay for shit, and no recurring fees.
>>
>>59826078
>grab an algorithm book and power through it
any recommendations on ones that are more accessible, especially for someone who didn't count a thing since highschool?
>>
>>59827101
>sololearn is the way to go senpai
SoloLearn is good to learn a language’s syntax, but purely horrible when it comes to learn _programming_, and there’s a huge difference here.
Unfortunately, I have no better alternative coming to my mind, except for a few books in French
(just in case: Openclassroom’s lessons, and “Méthodologie de la programmation en C”)

>>59825015
listen to this man. I am following pretty much the same path, and this is very true. If you live in a country in which you don’t have to pay to go to schools or uni, then you can trust their reputation more than schools you have to pay for. That’s how I dodged two schools I learnt afterwards to be filled with shit, one of them on the edge of crumbling and disappearing.
>>
>>59823404
>tfw no balding ginger gf with a feminine penis
>>
>>59823404
no. literally impossible
>>
>>59827337
>learn PHP
if you hate yourself, the internet and like sifting through unusable piles of legacy spaghetti code. Or like facebook

otherwise the post is good though. Do projects, work on things with others, then once you get a real job do your best and switch after to years.

Learn C++, Java and Python.
>>
>>59824066
>Knowing how to divide your first "project" into googleable problems.
this is literally the core of programming, listen to this guy.

Also always be working on something that is just barely out of your reach and you'll learn something in every project.

For example I self taught python and c++ (although I don't work in IT, i'm an engineer)
>read a book/online course for synthax
>first project: command line chess, get an understanding of functions, classes and basic synthax
>second project: 2048 with AI. get a feel for GUI, timed events, simple AI, more complex algorithms (like you know how 2048 works but what does the move algorithm look like)
>work on somethin involving file input, for example a program to read data from a .txt file and plot it
>work on something with networking, for example make a chess game playable across a network (this was the most challenging for me)
after this you can pretty much start working on real projects
>>
>>59826888
>Websites?
ruby with RoR
>>
OP is a retard for even asking this question, OP is also a retard for the pic

fag.
>>
>>59827544
>unusable piles of legacy spaghetti code.
at least down south, everyone seems to be revamping their systems, i rarely work with legacy code, but i do understand that post.

>can you update this website that i paid my kid to do 12 years ago
fuck me right in the ass

but as a whole PHP is nice man, specially with some of the 5.6 features added in.

But then again, i learned c++ before php, so maybe my mind handles tasks a bit better.

>java
literally cannot find a decent paying java job down south that's not literally updating 20yo bank software

python is taking things by force it seems like, i dislike the syntax, but its smart to have in your library of tools.

But it seems like, at least in florida, you need to know php, most systems offload something to python, but its not the "main system" in anything i've personally seen.

>tfw statefarm is forced to use dosbox to handle their daily tasks with an old CLI based software system
avoid insurance agency's like the fucking plague

if you want to work for sprint, learn PERL, its used out the fucking ass there.

AT&T uses PHP for nearly everything.
>>
>>59823862
surely someone has https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/5pouv4/18_months_ago_i_didnt_know_how_to_code_im_now_a/

I know it's leddit fuck off
>>
I taught myself in high school, I wouldn't exactly recommend it

I had to learn for wyse competitions because no one else from my school volunteered for the cs test and I scored slightly higher than guessing, which I was doing. After a year, I advanced to the state portion with no idea what I was doing

To this day, even after practicing other langs I don't understand half the terms used on stack overflow or /g/ (wtf is memory dump). But I am reading ACTUAL books now to get help
>>
>>59827672
>AT&T uses PHP
>deprecated tech company in boomer state uses deprecated boomer web scripting language for their shitty unstable system
little suprise, but I am surprised PHP is still that widely used. I heard some people say the newer verisons are better, but IMO it's just too late for PHP to come back from the grave. Their are better alternatives now and a nice update on a foundation of shit is still a pile of shit

Java just for muh apps and it's kinda the "college CS" language and many current seniors (eg the people interviewing you) know it
>>
>>59823425
Still code monkeys :^)
>>
Yeah. But you need to have above average computer skills
>>
anyone who isn't literally retarded can learn programming well enough to get hired as a programmer. but programming is one of the few areas where you can really put a strong intellect to good use and you will never become a top-tier programmer, with or without a degree, unless you're literally a genius.
>>
>>59823862
t.college professor
>>
>>59824886

As if business majors and other non-stem faggots can even compare to that
>>
>>59823404
I would teach the girl in OP's picture how to program...
>...if she would teach me how to love. :3
>>
OH HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>59823422
Literally this. But exactly the opposite. One half brained monkey in about 2 hours would have it down alright.
>>
>>59823404
any fool can learn how to write small programs that "work" on their own -- the things you can't learn without guidance (or years and years of experience) are how to write large programs, how to write maintainable code, how to write code for other people to use (e.g. libraries), or how to write secure code.
>>
>>59826699
>nice fallacy
>tells op to spend 400k on student loans
>>
>shit i needed to learn
C#
Java
Javascript
HTML + CSS
SQL
UML

some frameworks and its ORM's like asp.net MVC Core, Swing, Spring MVC

Also shit like method/object injection with interfaces, some security like sql injection
>>
>>59823404
This is a very broad question desu. The short answer though is yes. If all you want to do is learn how to build an app or whatever then you should be able to teach yourself a few languages in a short enough period of time if you work at it.

If you want to be a "programmer" however then the answer is a bit murkier. That takes many years of practice and you'll most likely need to become proficient in a lot of different languages.
>>
Where are some good places to read about machine learning?
I'm really interested in the AI meme, but my university doesn't have any courses on it.
>>
>>59823404
The hardest part is being able to discern good help from bad help, without first having a baseline to fall back on. What makes a lot of programming harder is when you try to learn a language that has lots of history, has evolved substantially and where people who write about it often expect you to have had several years of professional programming in that language.

Java is bad for beginners, not because Java SE is hard, but because the second you step outside into a more "internet-y" kind of programming (anything past Java 6, and probably the year ~1999), there are many large companies that have an interest in influencing how people program java, trying to convince people to use their own stacks of tools, that could partially rely on, be compatible with, or have competing libraries for open source libraries that have themselves been replaced by other open source libraries over time - but nobody will tell you about any of that. Without somebody sitting next to you to show you the ropes, you'll be running down a rabbit hole of googling a problem, and you'll hit nothing of any use to you because you get example code from a bunch of proprietary libraries you don't have access to, to solve a problem you don't even really know is your problem, where after you've spent hours trying to figure out what the currently used open source alternative is, you'll find out that it solves a problem that isn't even your problem because, without the right foundation, you didn't even know how to properly describe your problem to google in the first place.

With no baseline, you're going to be stuck trusting the first book you get to be right, and that the book will tell you enough about the generic ideas behind how to program the language you're looking to program in that you'll be able to know how to ask questions about problems you have in the future, and how to discern that the help you're getting applies to you.

Java's a good example, but this is true of many languages.
>>
>>59833478
it's literally a meme it's nowhere near as exciting as you think it is. if you really want to dick around with it, download tensorflow or something, """"AI""""fags are literally just using a python library and feeding it with data
>>
>>59832867
>girl
>she
>>
>>59823404
Starting as a total beginner pleb it's a daunting task.
>>
>>59823404
Before you ever ask a question like this again, think to yourself: Can Indians or women do it? If the answer is yes, then a white male will be able to do it easily in half the time.
>>
>>59833478
YouTube/computerphile
>>
>>59834231
kek
>>
https://github.com/AlgoryL/Projects-from-Scratch
>>
>>59823404
Certainly. Here's how:

First you brush up on your basic math:
Arithmetic, a little geometry, elementary algebra, and some basic trig.

Next get a standard calculus text and dive in. You should also get a linear algebra and discrete math books as well; make sure the discrete text is proof based (I recommend A Transition to Advanced Mathematics by Smith; you can it free PDF online)
Once you're a couple chapters in to your discrete book (you will want to have covered basic proposition and higher order logic, and basic proofs), you may begin learning programming and computer architecture. As a litmus test, if you don't know what this statement is

∀P((0∈P∧∀i(i∈P-->i+1∈P))-->∀n(n∈P))

you aren't ready to take the reins of a computer.

Now, forget what you do know about computer programming:

First, you learn boolean logic operations
then, you learn transistor logic
then, you learn how to build functional units from logic gates
then, you learn CPU design
then, and only then, you learn assembly language
then, after you have mastered assembly language (not dabbled, but mastered it), you learn C
then, after you have mastered C, you may learn the higher-level languages of your choice, but you will always use C and assembly as your primary languages because everything else is unnecessary bloat.

By this time you should be finished with your calculus (up to advanced integration techniques and vector basics), discrete, and linear algebra, and are ready for the next wave of math: abstract algebra, analysis, multivariate and vector calculus, and, after you have progressed a way in those, topology.

Finally, you become familiar with topoi, and study the internal logic of categories
then familiarize yourself with (general) type theory, and its applications to programming. I also recommend studying how to reformulate mathematics in terms of globular categories for use in automatic theorem proving, because there is an inherent programming-like 'feel' to it.
>>
>>59823404
Short Answer: No.

Long answer:
If you are dedicated you can "almost" learn a language in one or two weeks. (almost, because after 4 years of c++ everyday I still discover something I didn't know)
But that doesn't make you a programmer and you will write just pile of shits.
And I'm really tired of shitty self-taught programmers that cannot even write a site in javascript without killing my cpu.
You need to learn the I/O, how OS works, how the memory works, algorithms, data structures and all the background.

And that's really hard, because you really don't know what to search
>>
>>59823460
yah no one can learn to program until a certified university gives you a doctorate degree
>>
>>59834455
No, that just means that those self taught fags weren't thorough enough in their learning. Just like you can teach yourself math, you can use curricula and syllabi from different universities to get a feel of what to learn.
>>
Programming, like everything else, is just learning + practicing. Have discipline to study every day and you will get there.
>>
>>59834610
You're absolutely right, that's why I wrote "hard" and not impossible.

The fact is, as somebody else already pointed out, that in college they force you to do projects that you aren't interested in. For this reason you face new problems that you didn't even know. You may not need some of them if it is not your field of interest, but they add to the background, which is really important in cs.

So, to be good, you really need to spend some quality time in an argument, and not just read 2 or 3 articles on wikipedia and that's it. And I really doubt that someone that is self studying is going to do that

Now, I don't know how it works in the US, but here in pizzaland you can only get a brief list of arguments if you are not enlisted in the course. It is easy to find a good book in the argument, as to practice it
>>
>>59835175
not as easy to practice it*
>>
File: laughing.png (64KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
laughing.png
64KB, 200x200px
>>59823478
>>
>>59823404
WHY ARE YOU TAKING PICTURES OF GIRLS FROM JMU

STOP THIS I KNOW THAT BUILDING I WENT TO SCHOOL THERE

I WORE THAT GOWN
>>
>>59835983
>GIRLS
>>
Learn the basics then contribute to an open source project on github. As long as you aren't trying to contribute to the linux kernel or something people who work on those projects are generally pretty helpful and interested in you learning the codebase they work on.
>>
>>59823422
Started teaching myself when I was 13-14, don't assume everybody else is a brainlet too.
>>
>>59824312
>not living in a civilised country with free education
>>
>>59836636
How'd you go about it?
If you bring up a resource that tells you exactly how to program, then you missed the point completely, you fucking brainlet.
>>
>>59836833
not that guy, but what?

I had a book that gave code and explanations for simple visual basic programs. I took that code and started changing it to do things I wanted. When something breaks, I find out why and fix it. It grew from there.

It's not "teach yourself how to program" ala carl sagan's recipe for apple pie (you must first invent the universe), but it's not like I went to classes & shit.

I did a BSc at uni with no computer science subjects and now I write C++ for a living.
>>
>>59837005
i've worked with many people who don't have a CS degree but write C++ for a living. many of them are terrible software developers who nonetheless make a living writing scientific programs. i'm not saying you suck, but i am saying that many people in your situation do.
>>
>>59823404
> type code into .txt file
> rename to .exe

It's that easy anon
>>
>>59825015
any "valuable" information you learned at university isn't valuable, its not like they have some secret knowledge. You could have learned any of that valuable information yourself.
>>
>>59837323
I've worked with many people who have a CS degree. Many of them are terrible computer scientist's that somehow got their CS degree.
I'm not saying computer scientist's suck but many do.
>>
>>59823404
yes, it's literally the only way to learn how to program
>>
>>59837608
>'s

you should have got that degree bro
>>
I would love to teach myself how to program. Problem is, I have absolutely no clue where to start. I know absolutely nothing about it. I'm a child of the 70's. Computer classes were just starting to become a thing when I was a sophomore in high school and was only given to the incoming students. There was no Windows yet. There was only DOS. There wasn't even an internet as we know it know. There was only dial-up BBS's. I taught myself how to write some elaborate batch files way back then but that is about as close as I ever got to anything resembling programming.

In other words, I don't even know where to begin to take my first steps to teach myself how to program but I would really love to. How does it start in school? I should start like a grammar school kid. How does it progress as you move up in grades? And what is considered entry level programming class for a freshman in college?
>>
File: 1419876112764.jpg (68KB, 884x800px) Image search: [Google]
1419876112764.jpg
68KB, 884x800px
>>59823404
Yes, but first you need to abandon all worldly pleasures and dedicate yourself 100% to the art of programming.
>>
>>59837637
Phone posting, automatically switches to my own language.
>>
>>59837670
you're too old now lmao. Don't even bother trying
>>
>>59823404

Of course, but you'll probably be shit at it.
Then again, universities pump out shitters by the thousand.
>>
>>59823404
> Is it possible to teach yourself how to program?
Every engineer ever.

If you're starting comp-sci and you don't already know how to program, there's little hope for you.
>>
>>5982347
Complete and total bollocks!
>>
>>59837670

>can't use google
>blames age

Femanon, you really need to have an understanding of logic, which you clearly don't. Go back to trying to find your next husband. Good luck.
>>
>>59837670
Choose a language, get started.

There's endless resources out there.
>>
>>59837670
learn based java it's the #1 programming language

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/

when something really makes you think, google it for more information
>>
>>59823478
>>59824066
these
>>
Lets say I want to get into programming. What language would be a good pick in terms of applicability to the market?
>>
>>59841384
java

https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/
>>
>>59841430
Thanks, is https://www.codecademy.com/ any good to get started?
>>
File: 1405801090059.jpg (20KB, 300x298px) Image search: [Google]
1405801090059.jpg
20KB, 300x298px
>>59838947
>If you're starting comp-sci and you don't already know how to program, there's little hope for you

B-but I know calculus senpai
>>
>>59841384

java certainly
>>
>>59841458

if you don't know programming because you haven't tried then you should be fine
If you tried and didn't get far, then you're fucked
>>
File: intro10eComprehensive.jpg (63KB, 400x500px) Image search: [Google]
intro10eComprehensive.jpg
63KB, 400x500px
>>59841441
i think codecademy is too basic. might be ok just to get started with but if you end up not liking it then try https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/ or some book like pic related or head first java
>>
>>59841475
I've done some very basic java 'programming' in class. Made a simple text based dungeon that randomly generates rooms. Haven't tried out codecademy yet.

>>59841476
Thanks I'll go see if I can find a pdf for this
>>
Second year Uni student here

Fucked around with computers my entire life, getting tired of automating shit in batch lead me to try Linux, picked up bash from the shell, naturally lead into C, learnt the fundamentals of that, then was so enamoured I did literally everything in C, treated it like a shell (everything from webscraping to even scripting with popen), that naturally lead to other languages.
My two years of Uni so far has just consolidated and patched small holes in my knowledge, you can and should teach yourself to program on your own
>>
>>59841475
This is my last year of high school. I'm transfering to cal berkeley this fall into a CS major. I planned on using codeacademy or w3school to learn the basics of Java and Python over the summer and maybe fiddle around trying to build something simple like the stuff they have you do for exercises.
>>
>>59841511
>>59841518

You're both sorted then.
>>
>>59827625
Good advice here.

Make incrementally complex projects and keep it fun so you will have the courage to finish them.
>>
>>59827899
What are better PHP alternatives?
>>
>>59843113
don't worry, all web dev stuff is shit, php is ok by comparison
>>
>>59836374
don't tell me you fags think this is a
>she
situation.

This is clearly just a skeleton mode grill with a strong irish jaw
>>
>>59837323
You really can't be this stupid, can you?
>>
>>59841475
>If you tried and didn't get far, then you're fucked
I tried learning many times in the past when I was under 20. Never stuck. I kept trying though. Now it's like second nature.

In fact I think learning a 'programming language' is childish. (anyone can make their own programming language). If you know data structures, algorithms and so on(basically everything you learn from a CS degree), then you should have no problem learning any language in under 3 days.

When people mention which language is the 'best' and gloat about it, I automatically write them off as a massive idiot.
>>
Programming is easy - the hardest part of programming is needing to know the logic and foundations behind the programs you are coding for.

I did my co-op at a company which focuses mainly on Accounting software. Let me just say this: I spent my entire day learning the ins and outs of accounting rather than coding.
>>
>>59844820
Well you can't exactly write accounting software without knowing anything about accounting.
>>
>>59844478
maybe but i'd have to see the whole body to make a more certain judgement. these days traps and trannies are ridiculously common and sometimes it's hard to be certain if it's a female even if they're fairly attractive
>>
>>59844932
the more I look the more dude like it becomes

4chan is playing tricks on me
>>
>>59844820
>tfw accountant
>tfw have had to deal with helping programmers write software
Just take it easy mane, it's 2 completely different worlds colliding for many people.
Even my accounting uni teachers used to talk about similar experiences and the "cultural clash" caused by programmers being used to more logical approaches and the ones helping them with the subject being less pragmatic and more centered in a set of rules set in stone cause of the regulations surrounding the subject.
>>
>>59825886
how old are you
>>
Yes it's easy as fuck, all programming is is telling a computer what to do. You then learn about variables, functions, classes, objects, paradigms, loops, and all the other shit you can use to potentially tell a computer to do something.

Programming is an art and certain brain types do better with it than others (for example INTP and INTJ) as they are essentially deep thinkers. Your ability to code is largely influenced by how long you've been programming, how well you understand the documentation for whichever language/API you are using, how understandable your code is to another human, etc.

Just like with everything, there are a lot of dumbassess who are shitty coders and don't even get close to programming in the most efficient and optimal way, moslty due to laziness or "whatever it works move on". These usually lead to shitty programs with huge glaring bugs and take a lot of damn time to kink out.

So can you teach your self to code? Yes. Anyone can teach themselves to do essentially anything, it's just that some people will have an easier time learning or will learn faster. Just keep dedicating yourself to learning, writing code, and working on projects you are actually interested in.
Thread posts: 146
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.