[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

help a beginner out

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: confusedfag.jpg (58KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
confusedfag.jpg
58KB, 1000x667px
Hello /g/spotters, I'm a newfag in this board and would like to know your opinion on what the best programing language would be for a beginner looking to learn how to make small pc games. I've looked into a few programs like Unity but the problem is that I don't know any language nor how to code. Only language I know, if you can even call it a language, is a little bit of html.

I was mostly looking to make small 2d games. What should I learn first?
>>
Python
>>
>>59816471
I heard Python is a meme, is it not? Why would you recommend Python to any other language?
>>
>>59816471
1st post best post. alternatively you can try javascript and make webshit.
>>
>>59816534
Why Python?
>>
Sounds like you are poor and desperate to make some money. 2D games don't make money anymore.

I highly suggest just killing yourself.
>>
>>59816463
just get game dev studio and do the tutorials
>>
>>59816532
The only way Python is a meme is that it's named after Monty Python and not the animal.
Good ass games like Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines is made in Python.
>>
>>59816574
Nope, actually, I want to do it for fun, I've always had an interest in it. Money's not the objective here.
>>59816577
I've done that but I didn't really enjoy it. It doesn't feel like coding at all, it's all sugar coated and stuff.

Wouldn't C# be a better thing to learn guys?
>>
bumpity bump
>>
ffs guys help
>>
>>59817362
>>59817216
>>59816733
You already got your answer: python. Stop waiting for people to spoon feed you and just get to work. If you really want to learn you'll need to figure out shit on your own, or at least try. Come back with more specific questions.

Also this doesn't need its own thread, you could've just posted in /sqt/
>>
>>59816638
Looks like you already have your answer and you're here to shitpost, fuck off
>>
Javascript

No contest.
>>
>>59817401
>>59817418

I asked why you faggots, care to explain?
>>
>>59816463
you should first learn how algorithms work. nothing complicated, just basic stuff they learn in schools. than pick some language which is easy to learn. i would recommend java. there are obviously easier languages than java, but they are less popular, so it would be harder to find good material to learn from for these languages. once you understand object oriented programming principles you should learn data structures, at least simple ones like lists, stack and queue. binary trees and graphs will be useful if you want your games to have some AI. after that it would be good to learn some assembly. you can't make games in assembly, but it will help you understand how computers work. after that you should learn C++. you could skip Java and just begin with C++, but C++ might be too hard for you right now. you will have to use some library for graphics in C++ because there is not built-in one. SDL is the simplest one I think. Lazyfoo has great tutorials on SDL -> http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials
this is what i would do if i were you.
good luck anon :)
>>
>>59817609
Sorry I was wrong,
>>59817516
This guy is right. Javascript is best starting language because it's good for beginners and teaches you good practice for when you move on to Rust (your second language).
>>
>>59817708
this guy is trolling you
>>
you will not last longer than 2 weeks
>>
>>59817662
THANK YOU ANON, FINALLY SOMEONE GOOD
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.