[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

UNIX philosophy alternative

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 1

File: Unix.png (65KB, 430x140px) Image search: [Google]
Unix.png
65KB, 430x140px
Is there an opposite of the UNIX philosophy?
>>
yes its called systemd
>>
>>59814317
BSD
>>
Microsoft.
>>
GNU
>>
>>59814317
the 'ball-of-tar' philosophy
>>
>>59814317
I consider statically linked libraries as kind of the opposite of the unix philosophy.
>>
>>59814410
How come?
>>
Pretty much everything to do with computing, or computers in general, today.

But really, the UNIX Philosophy can't get beyond 1970s time-share mainframes. People expect too much from their computers now to be able to limit them down in such a way.
>>
>>59814705
How is the unix philosophy limiting in any way?
>>
>>59814317
I think the idea that everything is a file stops us from advancing in computer science. It's a terrible idea.
>>
>>59814723
"Do one thing and do it well."

So I oppened my HTML renderer, then curl'd a link to open in my HTML renderer to lead to a page where I wget'd a file, which I opened in my video player.

Or I open my web browser and do it all at once in one piece of software that does many things.
>>
>>59814843
>So I oppened my HTML renderer, then curl'd a link to open in my HTML renderer to lead to a page where I wget'd a file, which I opened in my video player.

The unix philosophy allows this to be possible.
>>
>>59814864
Or I could just do it all in my web browser without having to fuck around.
>>
>>59814885
But without the Unix philosophy you wouldn't have HTTP or HTML (textual streams).
>>
>>59814843
you can automate all of this

the entire point is that you can write bigger "programs" with smaller programs
>>
>>59814429
UNIX is basically 'do one thing and do it right'

Having everything statically linked would mean your binary does everything, or tries to and msot likely cannot
>>
UNIX philosophy:
>Every program should do one thing and do it right
>Expect the output of one program to become the input of another, as yet unknown, program

Windows philosophy:
>spaghetti code
>copy-pasted .dll's
>sloppy additions to currently existing programs with each new update
>>
>>59815224
How would you automate the downloading and viewing of a video I don't know I want to watch yet?

>>59815334
How can a MP3 be the input of a text editor? I say again: it's for 70s mainframes not a modern desktop. The flaws of Windows doesn't disprove this, all it means is we need a new paradigm.
>>
>>59814843
>>59815241
You don't understand the philosophy, you just know the motto. Do one thing and do it right doesn't mean use shit tons of different tools and don't abstract anything.

In your definition a single monolithic kernel is against unix philosophy as well as 'everything is a file'.

Do one thing and do it right means build larger systems in simpler and separately testable modules.

If i had to use one word to describe unix philosophy, i would tell 'simplicity'. If you understand it, you understand everything else.
>>
>>59815399
>tfw microkernels are definitely more unix-like and everyone laughs at them
t. andy tanenbaum
>>
>>59815224
>smaller programs
they are called libraries
>>
>>59814843

You mean that you used several softwares to do several things well? Try using a gun to kill yourself pal.
>>
>>59814752
So much this. But then again I can not come up with a functional alternative sooo
>>
>>59815399
The point I was more making is that the nature has changed. But even if I was to reply seriously it still wouldn't work in the modern environment. Let's just go with this as a hypothetical, the FireFox HTML renderer releases an update that makes it no longer able to send imaged to feh for rendering. You've lost images in your web browser now.
>>
>>59815490
>You mean that you used several softwares to do several things well?

And it only took 30x longer than just watching it in the browser.
>>
>>59814322
this, pretty much
>>
>>59815386
Something like "Play with mpv" addon for Firefox would do that. Dunno if that's what you're asking though.
>>
>>59815444
no

take a look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc4ROCJYbm0&feature=youtu.be&t=385
>>
>>59815399
>Do one thing and do it right means build larger systems in simpler and separately testable modules.
Isn't that the basis of literally every program ?
>>
>>59815690
it's obvious now because of it's success. it wasn't always like that.
>>
>>59814322
yup, this.
>>
>>59815759
If it's only that then there is no need to call it the "Unix philosophy" anymore, it's just basic good engineering practice.

The other aspects like "everything is text" are obviously outdated and can be thrown out ; systems today are way too complex and resource-intensive to use text inputs for everything.

Seems like the Unix philosphy is a meme.
>>
>>59815386
The idea is to reduce redundancy. For a real simple easy to understand example, if you already have a piece of software that packages and unpackages that works in command line, rather then rewrite the software for a gui that packages and unpackages software. You could just write a frontend to the command line software.
>>
>>59814317
>opposite of the UNIX philosophy
do things right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzPpWInAiOg
>>
>>59815386
You can open an MP3 in a text editor though...
>>
>>59814317
What is this sexy typeface?
>>
>>59814317
Emacs is the opposite of Unix philosophy.
Busybox
JVM
Possibly even ADT's
>>
>>59814322
This is the correct answer.
>>
>>59817245
>>a philosophy
>>"the correct answer"
>>
>>59817108
>lisp
>>
do many things and do them poorly? That's like the windows philosophy I think.
>>
>>59817386
But Windows programs are still modular from each other.
>>
>>59814317
Multics
The Right Thing
Lisp Machines
>>
It's called having a one file operating system
>>
>>59817788

Pretty much.

Unix is a joke compared to those systems.
>>
>>59814317
Look at design principals from OpenVMS, and z/OS and System i.
>>
>>59817108
>he didn't read The Cathedral and The Bazaar
>>
web microservices and API's.

>oh wait that too is just an extension of Unix Philosophy
>>
Opposite of UNIX philosophy.
>opaque
>monolithic
>irreplacable
>critical
>>
>>59814705
>people expect too much from their computers
This
>>
>>59814322
fpbp
>>
>>59814317
literaly EMACS
>>
>>59814317
Linux
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.