[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Basic the mother-language?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

File: Complex Math.jpg (59KB, 552x263px) Image search: [Google]
Complex Math.jpg
59KB, 552x263px
What language should a learn which is a precursor to most every other language?
>>
>>59805359
Basic is a precursor to VisualBasic. Learn Fortran if you want to wear a fedora.
>>
File: india-street.jpg (37KB, 425x284px) Image search: [Google]
india-street.jpg
37KB, 425x284px
>>59805359
Vedic Sanskrit
>>
>>59805387
what is fortran?
>>
>>59805439
???
>>
>>59805445
It's a programing language. Did you forget the topic of your own thread?
>>
File: language tree.jpg (1MB, 1250x1762px) Image search: [Google]
language tree.jpg
1MB, 1250x1762px
>>59805456
It's an ancient, Indo-Iranian language that would have the most resemblance of any language to ancient European languages that you can still find enough information on to possibly kind of learn because Sanskrit is still around.

If you're looking for the precursor to most every other language in the world, that's as close as you're going to get.
>>
>>59805468
googled. apparently it is a very fast programming language used for physics and maths.

>>59805527
kek.
>>
>>59805359
>tfw I actually recognise what the thing in OP's pic is
In a conformal field theory, it's the expansion of the product of the holomorphic part of the energy-momentum tensor in the difference of the coordinates. c is what's called the "central charge" which determines the holonomy of the conformal field theory.
>>
>>59805743
please use laymans terms.
I am a brainlet.
>>
>>59805359
Category theory
>>
>>59805793
In essence the energy-momentum tensor tells you how correlation functions change with respect to conformal (orientation-preserving) transformations. In 2-dimensions the conformal symmetry becomes large enough that you can actually calculate what the expectation value of the energy-momentum tensor is, this is one In as the conformal Ward identity. Now a significant quantity hidden within the energy-momentum tensor is the central charge, which is a nontrivial topological quantity related to the Chern number. It dictates the holonomy, or the parallel transport through a loop, of a primary field of the conformal field theory. This allows us to compmetely characterize the excitations and their relationships with each other that exist in the theory.
>>
>>59805359
Learn lambda calculus.
>>
>>59806818
This
>>
File: tarjan666.png (662KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
tarjan666.png
662KB, 960x720px
>>59805359
>>
Sanskrit is base of all modern languae.
You have to follow poo ritual though
>>
>>59805359
That is just a group of variables with no meaning other than the relationship to each other. Please, whenever you are writing a math paper, give context.

Also, why write everything out like that? Write it in more abstract terms in a way that conveys the main point of what you're doing without the clusterfuck of variables
>>
>>59805359
x86 assembly
>>
>>59806225
i hope ajimi can be in the new season
>>
BASIC is perfect for what it is and I think its reliance on mathematics above other starter languages (don't get funny, you know what I mean by that) gives someone a much better understanding of what the concept, rather than the practice, of programming is.

If you have a Raspberry Pi (or other ARM SoC) you can get the BBC BASIC image and it comes with a PDF file that teaches you how to use it.

To be honest I think all computers should come with BASIC on ROM still.
>>
>>59805359
learn python if you don't want to get left behind. if you're wanting to do mathematical programming learn MATLAB (octave is the free version) or Wolfram Mathematica. If you want to do data analysis/statistical programming learn R.
Also if you want a job it's really good to learn something that you can write dashboards in like Power BI
>>
>>59805359
ASM is the best representation of what instructions really mean
Lisp/lambda calculus is the best representation of the mathematical operation you want to make the computer carry out
Python is the best representation of hoe you'd tell a person to do it
Prolog is the best representation of how one would reason to find an answer

There's no 'mother language', many roads lead to Rome, languages are just car types that handle some roads better than others.
>>
>>59805359
> It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.
- Dijkstra
>>
>>59807427

Everyone who started on computers from 1980-1994 started with BASIC. What this guy means is "anyone who started with a home computer is a lower class than me."

Learning BASIC first never held Braben, Bell, or Singleton back when they first started.
>>
>>59806955
>physicists
>>
>>59807335
Is there anything where R is really worth choosing over matlab or python?
>>
>>59805359
No, lisp is.
>>
>>59805359

Forth, much more poweful and easier to implement.
>>
>>59808264

There's packages for everything under the sun but its slow af and only 2gb max ram.
>>
>>59807045
Same. I think she's in Idol Time. Haven't watched it tho
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.