[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is powershell any good? Looking into it worth it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: hornswoogle.gif (966KB, 212x159px) Image search: [Google]
hornswoogle.gif
966KB, 212x159px
Is powershell any good? Looking into it worth it?
>>
For general use? No, never, it's a horrifying mess of pain.
As an unbelievably valuable job skill? Yes, 100%
>>
It's okay. It's good for shell scripting on Windows (or rather, Batch is bad, and you should never use it, and PowerShell is the most realistic alternative), and it makes a good testbed for any .NET shit. Otherwise... just use Ruby or Python for your general purpose scripting needs. PowerShell has its quirks.
>>
>>59803780
/thread
>>
Powershell is basically command prompt on steroids so I would say it's definitely worth learning it. It ain't easy to learn but once you get the hang of it you can become a 1337 haxor or whatever.
>>
lmao just use linux
>>
>>59803809
You might as well tell him to nail his cock to a spinning helicopter blade.
>>
File: 1452768388984.jpg (178KB, 716x960px) Image search: [Google]
1452768388984.jpg
178KB, 716x960px
Op here. I'm working in a small IT team, my managers looking into whether it's worth doing and learning it. Asking as if it's worth doing, I'll start looking it up so I get a head start. Is there anything particularly cool you can do with it, or is it just script writing 'made easy'?
>>
>>59803756
i guess.

just use ansible instead though.
let redhat cucks deal with it for you.
>>
best resources to learn it?
>>
>>59803756
>>59803986

First, what are you trying to do? This may be an XY problem. Why do you think you need to learn powershell? What are you trying to do with powershell? There is likely 9000 alternative tools that will work better than any solution involving Windows.
>>
>>59803986
MSDN
>>
>>59804114

Immediately abort and cancel all purchases of MS software, licenses, and subscriptions, then use the tens of thousands of dollars saved to pay someone to solve the problem.
>>
>>59804192
Sorry, we're talking about networks in places of work and employment in the real world here buddy. Not your anime network storage server. Thanks for your input though. Don't let the door hit your fat ass on the way out, off you go. Shoo
>>
>>59804192
>Tens of thousands of dollars
My computer cost $500 and came with Microsoft Office installed. What is this meme?
>>
It's invaluable these days, don't let old timers continue to use things like log in scripts and batch. It definitely is not 'script writing made easy' though, use python for that. Powershells power comes from the amount of windows specific cmdlets available to you so you'll want to be using it to replace any old cmd stuff you have been doing

PS gives access to things like the active directory recycle bin and is essential to know in some shape or form from server 2012 onwards. You cannot even use new nano servers without executing ps cmdlets to assemble the thing.

>>59803986
https://mva.microsoft.com/en-us/training-courses/getting-started-with-microsoft-powershell-8276

MVA is general is great for any MS technologies
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.