[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does Mathematica compare to Matlab?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: mm.jpg (11KB, 219x230px) Image search: [Google]
mm.jpg
11KB, 219x230px
How does Mathematica compare to Matlab?
>>
>>>/sci/
>>
>>59802214
No.
>>
>>59802214
This isn't off topic, fuckwit.
>>
File: 1490236323195.jpg (122KB, 350x264px) Image search: [Google]
1490236323195.jpg
122KB, 350x264px
>>59802183
They are really different.

Mathematica uses a symbolic system, thus it's better suited for algebraic work (e.g simplifying systems, solving ODEs algebraically), MATLAB uses a numerical system, it works great for working with matrices and solving non linear DEs. That is not to say that you can't do numerical work in Mathematica or algebraic work in MATLAB, but they are not designed with those focus points in mind.

Mathematica is more popular with physicist and MATLAB with engineers, if that clarifies anything...

Also, it's 2017 and you shouldn't use either of these piece of shit proprietary languages.

You should be looking at Mathics or SAGE (for a Mathematica-like experience) or Scilab or Octave (for a Matlab-like experience).

Or just use Python with Numpy and Scipy for prototyping and use GSL for the heavy stuff like a real man.
>>
>>59804309
I don't get why Mathematica or MATLAB, or STATA are considered languages.
It's software ffs, just like gnu parted or connman with its own shell essentially
Mathematica > MATLAB desu
Unfortunately STATA (nonfree) > R, so I don't know what to do
>>
>>59804366
Mathenstica isn't really but matlab is a scripting language for sure.

They serve completely different purposes though.
>>
>>59804366
Mathematica and MATLAB are both the name of the software and the name of the languages.
>>
>>59804309
Is there a functional reason to not use proprietary languages or is it just because you're against having to pay for them?
>>
>>59804430
Wolfram Language
>>
>>59804309
Yeah, good luck getting anything near to Simulink with any of these you mentioned
>>
>>59804366
Why would you even compare Mathematica to Matlab, they have completely different uses. It's like saying a hammer is better than a wrench
>>
File: solve (4).png (582KB, 1400x788px) Image search: [Google]
solve (4).png
582KB, 1400x788px
>>59802183
They serve different purposes.
I've used Mathematica for
>calculating formal series
>calculating divergent parts of integrals
>calculating knot invariants
>calculating Groebner bases
>manipulating matrices and their algebras
>dynamical plotting
>image analysis
>FFTs
and I've used MATLAB for
>doing some retarded number crunching assignments with matrices for an undergrad class 4 years ago
Really Mathematica is probably the top for what it's for, and MATLAB is among the bottom of the barrel. Python, C++, Fortran, and fucking Java are all better alternatives to the abortion that is MATLAB.
>>
>>59804488
I can give you a use-case:

Imagine you make an app that puts stupid MOE eyes on top of the users. If you are versed in MATLAB you know you can make a face recognition system in about a week with MATLABs built in libraries that work's fairly well.

The problem is, this program needs to run not only in your computer but on the production servers, thus you need a server license for MATLAB and each server you deploy to, Mathworks offers MATLAB distributed license for this kind of stuff, but you know, the prices will skyrocket. The idea of having to bind your stack to a license program is not very attractive, not even for mid-sized companies.

Now replace the MOE eyes with a medical software that helps surgeons identify small fibers on the heart to save the life of a patient, and you a functional reason why to.
>>
Mathematica is a CAS.
MATLAB is a number crunching system.
Both can partially do what the other can.

>>59804309
Last time I used them, Mathics didn't even have an ODE solver yet and Sage lacked documentation. Octave was better opposition to ML but that is maybe because I ain't heavy user of the later. On the ML-rivals list also put Julia.

Isn't scipy the CAS backend for Sage?
>>
>>59802183
It used to be that you would use Mathematica for symbolic work and MATLAB for number crunching but Mathematica is good enough and computers are fast enough these days that you don't really need MATLAB anymore.
>>
>>59804720
>Isn't scipy the CAS backend for Sage?

I think that would be sympy. And all these python libraries are currently better documented than Sage.
>>
>>59804776
which is of course a part of scipy.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.