[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

eGPU Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: egpu setup.jpg (158KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
egpu setup.jpg
158KB, 1280x960px
Why are you using a gaming laptop instead of a regular business-class laptop with an eGPU?

>almost as powerful as its desktop equivalent (70-99% effective performance depending on the connection you use)
>a good CPU will perform more than adequately for years (how many of you are still using an i5-2500k or even a fucking Core2Quad?); the video card is almost always a bottleneck in games, so you can keep upgrading the video card without getting a new laptop
>you can take your powerful and energy-efficient, business-class laptop outside with you instead of having to lug around a gaming laptop with 1 hour of battery life (you're a manchild if you need to play vidya outside)
>slightly more difficult to travel with than a gaming laptop, but if it's a short-term trip, you don't need a powerful gaming machine, anyway; if you're going away for months or a year, it's still much easier to pack your eGPU than bringing a desktop

When Thunderbolt3 is ubiquitous, eGPUs are going to take off.
>>
>>59801170
Instead of trying to graft gaming capabilities onto a laptop - both eGPUs and gaming laptops are shitty hacks that make way too many compromises - I just game on a desktop.

The only gaming a laptop needs to do are little not-at-all-intensive time-waster games for when you're sitting on a train or something.
>>
Your battle station is shit
>>
>>59801170
Because I have lenovo 910 with 4k display and a dedicated gaming pc running 7700 and 1080ti
>>
File: shit.png (2MB, 1018x1046px) Image search: [Google]
shit.png
2MB, 1018x1046px
I bring this with me to game with buddies sometimes.

2016 max spec touchshit macbook
gtx 1060
akitio node 3

i still need to get the exterior case cnc'd so that i can get some airflow. i use it open currently

works plug and play. plays overwatch maxed at 60fps native res, which is good enough for me on the go.
>>
Is that a X230 opie? What did you use?
>>
>>59801612

Spending that much on a laptop and then spending another 300 for a TB3 enclosure, then another several hundred for gfx card.

On top of all that, not having an external monitor, and gaming on that tiny ass screen.

>more money than sense
>>
>>59801170
Hi Ivan,

Make sure to pay your rent.
>>
>>59801676

why would i lug a large monitor with me to my friends house to game on for an hour when i have a full-meme 27in 1440p 144hz screen for my desktop

laptop was free from work, i get a new laptop annually

450 dollars isn't a lot of money
>>
>>59801170
Come on Vlad, just save some money and get a proper PC
>>
>>59801170
>shitty CPU
>shitty screen
>shitty keyboard
>external PSU
>external GPU
>Macgyver-PCI
>a bunch of cables
Just get a desktop already, for fucks sakes.
>>
>>59801263
>huh dumbass, why would you only buy a laptop and an external GPU when you could just get a shitty laptop with a 1366×768 screen and a slightly more powerful gaming PC for the same price, and enjoy having to manage two computers now?
>>
>>59801676
There is an external screen in the background, I would give him the benefit of the doubt and say that his setup only looks like that for the photo's sake.

>>59801872
>shitty screen
It's not like he could get another screen without getting a desktop. Btw, how can you even tell that his screen is shitty from the pic alone?
>>
>>59801612
Wtf is that abomination, you must kill it before its too late
>>
>>59801170
Because I'm not poor

>>59802020
It's a fucking POS monitor, can't you see?
>>
>>59801872

/thread
>>
>>59802240
It looks cheap and old, but as long as the resolution is okay (can't really tell that from some random game UI), and the colors are not that bad, it's good enough in my book.
>>
>>59801872
>>59802293
A desktop PC is less convenient when traveling/working abroad.
>>
>>59801170
I'd like to try this someday. How are they doing this? I haven't used laptops for a while.

Is there some kind of pci port on laptops? I didn't know this was a thing, except on thinkpads. Should I wait for thunderbolt 3 instead?

And what laptops do you recommend? I broke my last one trying to fix a fan with a worn bearing.
>>
>>59801612
hey anon, i was looking at doing that exact same setup

does it play just fine on the internal monitor or did you need to do any fuckery?

can you test second life on macOS? it's the only intensive software i run that would require a GPU
>>
>>59801170
>limited to PCIE x1 speeds
>almost as powerful as its desktop equivalent
ahahahahahahhhhhhahahahahahahahahahhaha
>>
>>59801872

>>Macgyver-PCI

Fucking jej. Seriously though. If you wish to play videogames, just build a dedicated machine. You'll have bought your TwinkPad used anyway so you're not going to be iffy about used components in a case. Get a bare minimum CPU that won't bottleneck the GPU you think you need to play games at the settings you wish and you're good.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.