[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Arch Linux: What could go wrong

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: xa4cyn.png (119KB, 1083x621px) Image search: [Google]
xa4cyn.png
119KB, 1083x621px
I am going to install Arch Linux in my PC. I know the basic things of Linux, I used Debian a month (My computer crashed).
Is it a good idea?
Is it easy?
I watched tutorials, it seemed easy
But all the tutorials are easy.
And the most important thing... What could go wrong?
>>
>>59787442
If you want Arch install Manjaro.
Don't waste your time.
>>
>>59787460
I have lots of free time, but that's a good option.
>>
>What could go wrong?

Like with all other desktop Linux distros, anything could go wrong at any moment. Even non-ricer distros like Ubuntu are prone to random shit failing with obscure error messages that you have to google; then you pray there's a 10 year old forum post with your problem and someone with the answer. Have your phone handy cause your ethernet connection is inevitably gonna fail... or disappear completely. Make sure you have Lynx installed cause X server is guaranteed to crash and burn and refuse to restart at some point.
>>
>>59787521
I had lots of that problems the first time I installed Debian.
I had to buy a Ethernet cable, because there were not drivers for my Wireless Card.
>>
>>59787504
>that's a good option
No, it isn't. Never waste your time with any of these meme distros. Use Debian and customize it. Use Arch and customize it. Don't fuck around with muh antergos and muh manjaro, it's fucking SHIT
>>
>>59787630
Manjaro-openrc
>Xfce
>no systemd
>customizer everything as you would want in arch {i3 maybe}
>if something hardware goes wrong just instal and remember the small customizing step

Or >>59787442
Just dive into gentoo
>but yeah arch is easy, so easy that you ask yourself why not manjaro

>>59787630
Again back to you
What is different from the main things you need? If it's bloat you worry about it is faster do get rid of it in manjaro than get something like it in arch
>faster as in time/actions to be performed/configured
Arch is following a guide and manjaro is poobuntu easy
>same result
Shill gentoo not arch if you want to cut bullshit
>>
>>59787550
Debian rejects proprietary wifi cards by default. You must enable the non-free repository at /etc/apt/sources.list with non-free jessie after every instant of deb-src deb http, such as "deb-src [URL] non-free jessie" and "deb [URL] non-free jessie".

Then run
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

Then find your package in the Synaptic package(s) manager.
>>
>>59787521
>Have your phone handy cause your ethernet connection is inevitably gonna fail... or disappear completely
>Make sure you have Lynx installed cause X server is guaranteed to crash and burn and refuse to restart at some point
I've used Arch for years without experiencing this but if it were to happen you can still access the TTY so just reinstall the older package from the cache.
>>
>>59787521
>your ethernet connection is inevitably gonna fail... or disappear completely. Make sure you have Lynx installed cause X server is guaranteed to crash and burn and refuse to restart at some point.
This used to be true ten years ago when I first started to use GNU/Linux distributions. Now it is outdated opinion. Thankfully!
>>
>>59787719
>deb-src
why?
>>
>>59789548
Links2 has a gui, lynx is decades out of date.
>>
>>59787630
this
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.