[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good Linux DE?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: Screenshot_2017-01-03-11-33-35.png (349KB, 769x708px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-01-03-11-33-35.png
349KB, 769x708px
Okay /g/, I'm starting to get desperate trying to find a desktop environment that just works. My experiences to far have been as such:
>gnome was okay, but was a resource hog
>used cinnamon on liveUSB, unplugged the usb after 15 of horrible user interface
>heard good news of xfce, was almost perfect, but too much screen tearing to enjoy any media
>currently on kde neon because I fell for the shills, using the computer is constant misery ex. resource usage, tries to connect smart phone as a read-only camera, 602 packages held back from updating because of rats nest of kde dependencies
What else is there left for me? Any suggestions? Should I give up on desktop environments? If so, how do I go about going such a path? Or is the only solution killing myself?
Distribution is currently Debian.
>>
>>59776898

Did you try to fix the screen taring issue or even google it? It would have been an issue with Xorg, which most possibly would be fixable by making a config file with..

TearFree "on"
>>
>XFCE

Install Compton, fixes all tearing
>>
>>59776898
I don't know about the others but currently using neon and working perfectly.
>resource usage
It uses around 400MB for me on boot and it's not cpu heavy at least on my side.
>tries to connect smart phone as a read-only camera
Aren't you using kdeconnect? it comes installed by default and it's a godsend, it allows you much more than transfering files.
>602 packages held back from updating because of rats nest of kde dependencies
Literally what? are you making up this? If not, already tried dist-upgrade? what packages are being held?
>>
I really like Manjaro's implementation of Xfce. It's really nice
>>
Debian Mint
>>
>>59776898
Windows or macOS. Linux is garbage now that Unity is dead.
>>
>>59776898
Install Kool DE
>>
>>59776898
>xfce, was almost perfect, but too much screen tearing
Are you using version 4.12? They supposedly fixed that in 4.13, but I haven't tried it out yet.
>>
>tearing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_36yNWw_07g
>>
>>59776916
>>59776952
Did not get around to fixing the issue because by the time I decided to actually do something, my used 700Gb Seagate drive died off the next day, and looking for an easy solution (KDE) that would
'just work' instead of fixing the problem when reinstalling.
If nothing else gets suggested I will just go though the effort of fixing it with Manjaro as suggested, but need to be sure of the decision I will make because downloading iso files takes a long time on my internet (only twice the speed of dial-up)
>>59777002
>dude it's only 400mb
This is not okay.
>using kdeconnect?
Don't know what this is, I would rather just plug the damn phone in and have it work, which is not what happens.
>what packages are being held
The immediate reason given by apt-get is vlc and vlc-nox, which when I attempt to uninstall, apt-get states it will have to uninstall half of the packages on my computer as well.
>>59777081
Unless the experience is drastically different when actually installed and not just off a liveUSB, no.
>>
Take a look at openbox and enlightenment. Not DEs but WMs.
>>
i3
>>
Manjaro KDE best by far.
>>
>>59776898
M A T E

A

T

E
>>
>>59776898
> Cinnamon
> Horrible UI

what now
>>
I use arch linux with i3wm + compton for some ricing.

Never been more satisfied about that. Plus, it really boosts productivity
>>
>>59777681
If I wanted normie answers I'd ask reddit
>>
>>59777690
>i3wm
>normie
Anon...
>>
>>59776898
Unity is the DE that caused me the least problems but in addition to being Ubuntu-only, it's now on it's death bed.

Maybe you should look at budgie or mate.
>>
>>59776898
Screen tearing wouldn't be an issue with XFCE, but with something else. Try using a media player that uses OpenGL for playback.
>>
>>59776898
>gnome was okay, but was a resource hog
what kind of toaster are you running it on? gnome made some bad design choices over the last few years (most can now be fixed by shell extensions), but resource usage was never really a problem (<1GiB RAM and neglible CPU load with ff open). just install some file manager other than nautilus.

>Distribution is currently Debian.
are you running stable on a desktop system? upgrade to sid.
>>
>>59776898
What do you need a DE for? If you live in the browser and terminal you barely need a window manager.
>>
>>59777603
This, if you liked gnome but thought it was too heavy this is a good choice.
>>
File: 1355446913547.jpg (225KB, 682x600px) Image search: [Google]
1355446913547.jpg
225KB, 682x600px
>>59776898
>602 packages held back from updating because of rats nest of kde dependencies
>>
File: 1455728050705.jpg (8KB, 323x346px) Image search: [Google]
1455728050705.jpg
8KB, 323x346px
>>59777690
>normie
>tiling wm
>>
>>59776916

Tearing is an issue common to every linux distro that uses Xorg, but can be fixed in 5 minutes with google and a text editor.
>>
>>59777177
>windows
I asked for help from /g/, not /nsa/, now GET OUT.
>>59777667
Cinnamon felt like if Windows had a mulatto child.
>>59777999
I only replace parts when I absolutely need to, which means I am running on 12 year old hardware and 2Gb of RAM.
>>59778894
No, it's not, since in my experience at least, the only DE that had any noticeable tearing at all was XFCE and Windows.

It seems the solution I will take is XFCE on Manjaro, trying the solutions here and if they don't work, look stuff up, and if that fails just go full meme and go with i3.
>>
>>59776898
>xfce, was almost perfect, but too much screen tearing
You were doing something wrong then. Try again.
>>
>>59776898
GNOME
KDE
Xfce

I have no issues on KDE Neon. I switched from fedora because it couldn't launch terraria.
>>
>>59776898
Emacs is a good one
>>
>>59776898
If you are using anything other than KDE you are holding back the future.
>>
>>59776898
get into windows tiling managers

you just need a browser, a music player and the terminal to be happy
accept the truth, and find your tiling fix
>>
>>59777257
>>59777257
>This is not okay.
Are you serious? That's more than reasonable in my book.
>Don't know what this is, I would rather just plug the damn phone in and have it work, which is not what happens.
Kdeconnect allows you to do a lot of things wirelessly. Also check the settings in your phone, i think that's the problem.
>The immediate reason given by apt-get is vlc and vlc-nox
I see. VLC comes installed for a reason, because it's used as a backend for phonon which is the KDE's multimedia engine, you need to provide at least one backend for kde to work. VLC it's by itself not necessary for kde to work tho so the only thing you need to to is to provide a null backend instead. If you want to uninstall vlc install phonon-backend-null and phonon4qt5-backend-null and after that you can uninstall vlc without removing anything. Also, you claimed that neon was holding updates which is pretty different to what you claim now which is not being able to uninstall vlc. Is neon holding back updates or not?
>>
Just switch to a tiling window manager - a fully configured i3 is way better than any desktop environment
>>
>>59776898
>too much screen tearing
You do know this is easily fixable?
>>
>>59776898
Cinnamon.

It's by far the best if you have 4GB of RAM or more. (if you have 2GB, use LXDE)
>>
KDE on Manjaro works pretty well for me.
>>
>>59780146
>I asked for help from /g/, not /nsa/, now GET OUT.
Enjoy your miserable computing experience then.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.