[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /g/ think about overclocking? Should the hardware be

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: msi-afterburner.png (290KB, 577x473px) Image search: [Google]
msi-afterburner.png
290KB, 577x473px
What does /g/ think about overclocking? Should the hardware be at the default settings or is it fine to overclock just a little?
>>
>>59774713
if it's built to overclock, and you have good cooling, go for it
>inb4 lifespan
it's called not pumping a megawatt thru your shit
>>
>>59774713
If you want to OC then go ahead and do it, assuming you know how and can cool it properly. There's no reason to do or not to do.
>>
>>59774777
What about voiding a warranty on a new piece of equipment?
>>
If it's a GPU as long as you don't touch voltages theres basically no chance of bricking your board. At worst the GPU will crash and you will have to reset the PC.

For CPU overclocking you have to be a little more in depth and research your motherboard BIOs settings, make sure that that it doesn't auto-fuck the voltages and shit.
>>
>>59774713
>GPU
Go for it.

>CPU
Pointless unless you have an old one, although I still do it because my autism prefers even numbers like 4 to 3.7.
>>
I've overclocked everything for the last 17 years on 6 builds or so and it's never had any ill effects, only benefits and longer system lifespan (the time before it's obsolete). This includes GPU/mobo/RAM overclocks.

Relative is still using an Athlon xp-m 1.8ghz @ 2.6ghz system in her desktop that I built in like 2003 and it's just fine. Never had anything die from overclocking.
>>
File: 8oiunsadf4.jpg (21KB, 265x491px) Image search: [Google]
8oiunsadf4.jpg
21KB, 265x491px
>>59774713
Unless you pump tons of voltage and heat into a given chip, there's literally no reason not to overclock if you have the ability and proper cooling.

The hardware will be obsolete well before any noticeable degradation happens.
It's free performance, so you might as well.
>>
>>59776199
What if you purchased a GPU with a high manufacturera OC and its not much of a difference anyways?
>>
I overclock when the situation calls for it. Right now I have not OC'ed a thing and I am getting 144 fps locked to my 144hz monitor at 1080p full ultra settings in Fallout 4, Shadow of Mordor, and Thief. As always with pc technology, what is beast today will inevitably be feeble. No need for me to OC now but I will most certainly have to OC in the years to come.
>>
>>59777317
>GPU with a high manufacturera OC
What one?
My MSI 1060 6gb OC card was 1911Mhz out of the box.
I still managed to pull it to 2070Mhz. With another 1600?Mhz on the memory. It makes a huge difference.
>>59775071
>What about voiding a warranty on a new piece of equipment?
Stop telling them you're an overclocker. No need to flap your epeen to manufactures.
>>
File: 8-inch-floppy.jpg (14KB, 430x319px) Image search: [Google]
8-inch-floppy.jpg
14KB, 430x319px
>>59774713
It's generally bullshit. Anything that reduces stability is not worth it.
>>
File: 1463740888663.jpg (153KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1463740888663.jpg
153KB, 1920x1080px
>>59777617
An sapphire R9 380 4gb GPU Clock @ 1010and memory @ 5800. Pretty sure the 380 wasn't much of a overclocker so I'm happy with these.
>>
>>59778045
>It's generally bullshit. Anything that reduces stability is not worth it.

>Every OC is unstable.

How about you only enter a discussion about overclocking if you have ever done it?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.