[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Learning Platforms

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: hackerman.jpg (269KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
hackerman.jpg
269KB, 500x500px
I've been through many of the generals and looked through plenty of the learning materials but I'm wondering what is considered the best platform for learning code? Are websites like udacity/codecademy worthwhile? Videos from stackskills? I've used all three and while udacity was a good mix of the other two, codecademy seems to really only help you learn syntax and stackskills has very little in the way of hands on learning. I've looked into a few books but I don't know if that would be worthwhile or if I would even retain much knowledge from them.

>tl;dr best platform to learn code for a complete novice? websites/books/videos/college
>>
>>59773509
gentoo.org
>>
do it the old way. go to a bookstore and buy a book. I recommend "learn python the hard way". it's a good for beginners and if you finish it then you can pretty much learn any other language because they are all similar.
>>
The best platform is to look for a project that sounds interesting, then complete it. Don't just copy and paste the code, but take time to actually understand what you're doing. Experiment to try to get different results, etc.

Books are good references, but no one MEMORIZES them.

Programming is like a board game, you'll pick up the rules as you play.
>>
>>59773619
Thank you, I was on the fence about literature but really would like to at least have something to read during downtime at work.
>>
>>59773509
Are you willing to pay? If yes, go for Pluralsight
>>
>>59773741
Not against paying, but it would have to be considerably more efficient than the free alternatives.
>>
exercism.io

maybe you'll also meet a cute trannny girlfried there
>>
>>59773773
I'm not interested in tranny girlfrieds.
>>
>>59773715
Thank you, any recommendations on a project? I'm assuming it'll need to be something that interests me?

Python is also my choice of first language.
>>
>>59773715
A thousand times this.
>>
>>59773845
>I'm assuming it'll need to be something that interests me?

Yeah absolutely. I can't really think of anything specific because "beginner" projects are always very boring. Keep in mind any project can be a beginner project if you're patient enough. Something to remember is that you may run into projects that say something along the lines of "go to C" without explaining steps A and B. Understanding each step and why things work the way they do is what separates good programmers from shitty ones. It's like knowing how to paint vs doing a coloring book.

After you follow some tutorial projects and what to come up with something on your own it'll probably be a good idea to read or watch something on how to structure algorithms or make state machines (or anything of that nature). Just to practice the mindset of actually creating a blue print of your project before diving in. Good luck
>>
>>59773924
Thank you very much for the help. I understand the importance you're putting on understanding the fundamentals of what I'm doing.

>>59773619
Any other book recommendations? I see the reviews are fantastic for this one but there were some concerns about it being relative to python 2.7 and I've already somewhat delved into python 3. Is there so much of a difference that it would be unwise to read this book anyways? I'd rather not just put a stop on my current progress and start over.
>>
>>59773980
Python 2.7 is more widespread than python 3 and will continue to be. The book is a goon brook because it teaches you things about programming other than the language. C++ without fear is okay. it teaches you the basics but I would read the python book first. And if you learn C++ I would also learn C too. They are very similar but I Like C better. C is easier though with strings and stuff. Just don't give up though power through the books it will be worth it.
>>
>>59774047
>good book
>>
>>59774047
>C++ is easier with strings

on mobile
>>
File: Sci CS reading list mk.III.jpg (4MB, 2500x4620px) Image search: [Google]
Sci CS reading list mk.III.jpg
4MB, 2500x4620px
>>59773509
>Read books
>Make projects
>goto 1
>>
>>59774047
Alright I'll definitely read it then.

>>59774085
Will look into these as well.
>>
>>59773715
This.

Been on a binge for a couple weeks learning more webdev shit. I'll watch a video or two for syntax/operators and other remedial stuff then just start making something.

The internet is a programmers best tool, and actually coding anything at all yourself is going to be the best way to learn. Use API's, use w3schools if you're doing webdev, and it will fall into place.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.