[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who even invented indenting code with spaces?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

File: unix 8.jpg (39KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
unix 8.jpg
39KB, 640x480px
Who even invented indenting code with spaces?
>>
Obviously a degenerate
>>
>>59771818
Believe it or not, it was originally to save space on 80 character wide terminals.
>>
A smart person to make your bydlocode pajeet-made poo appear the same on all monitors.
>>
>>59772263
>not respecting user's customization choices
>not having 2x space length anyway
Lol
>>
>>59771818
me
>>
>>59771818
solution:
use only 1 space, forever
the space is the tab & tabs are 1 space wide
why people need a gap
1 space - live with that - enables focus. your eyeball doesn't have to look 4 spaces all the time = retinal fatigue - eye muscle fatigue
everything should be dense .. 1 space all code is 1 space indented
>>
I am quite baffled by it, honestly.
Generally I don't care too much since I use proper adult languages and IDEs that format on save, but still. What's up with spaces? Like, why not tabs, they are more natural.
And if you HAVE to use spaces, why not exclusively use single spaces and visually extend them if you must?
>>
It's because tab is non-portable. Not only is tab a different width on different systems (meaning code that displays fine with a 4-column tab may be unreadable on a terminal of the same width using an 8-column tab), it also messes with alignment; some editors consider a tab to be a single column, and so the reported column position of all later characters in a line are meaningless.
>>
>>59771882
This reminds me of something...
>Why is 80 characters the standard limit for code width?
>Because terminals use 80 columns!
>Why do terminals use 80 columns?
>Because IBM punch cards have 80 columns!
>Why do IBM punch cards have 80 columns?
>So they would fit into 1880's standard currency carriers!
>Why was the currency of the 1880's that size?
>>
>2017
>not configuring vim to change tab indents to spaces
>>
>>59772912
>Anonymous 04/06/17(Thu)21:36:59 No.597729
tabs are poison .. an 80s hangover
like the 'screensaver' on an OS
like windows
>>
>>59772962
It all goes back to the first standardization efforts of the Roman Empire I bet.

Human civilization isn't that old all things considered.
>>
>>59772900
Fuck you. White space is language all its own. It communicates groupings, organization, and importance.

White space is love. White space is life.
>>
>>59772968
seriously...
>>
>>59772955

Literally none of that is an issue so long as you use tabs exclusively to indent and not to align
>>
>>59772962
Terminals didn't all use 80 columns.
>>
>>59773046

Sometimes, after you maybe get a job, you have to work with other people in big organizations called "companies".

Nobody has the exact same ideas as you. Nobody likes the same things. Nobody finds the same things aesthetic.

I used to use tabs. I've moved to spaces. As long as you are using a fixed width font, it is going to look sane. Go show somebody some code, and hem and haw about your shit formatting on somebody else's system where they have different settings.
>>
File: 1385911397160.png (13KB, 255x216px) Image search: [Google]
1385911397160.png
13KB, 255x216px
>>59772962
>>
>>59772912
>IDEs
>tabs
>adult
>>
>>59773046
>mixing tabs and spaces
Absolute trash. This is why spaces are superior.
>>
>>59771818
your mother did
how you ask?

>be me
>fuck your mother anally
>OOH AAH PLS STOP ANON
>shut the fuck up whore and bend over
>o-ok
>cum
>go on with my life as a compiler designer and put white space for indendation so you autists can read the code better
>>
>>59773312

>Using two kinds of character for two different purposes is somehow a problem
>>
The worst offender is Python, but it was made by the Dutch (the poo to the loos of Europe) so what can you expect
>>
Spaces are for trannies and sandniggers ONLY
>>
>>59772962
Actually they limit it to 80 characters so you can fit the code on a screen with other things like documentation and anime.
>>
There's indent in this(definition of ROOT, QMAX) or maybe so it fits in the column of text. Either case, it doesn't start back at column 0 so I say it's indent.

http://archive.computerhistory.org/resources/text/Fortran/102663113.05.01.acc.pdf
>>
>>59773184
And not all punch cards use 80 columns :)
>>
>>59773630
Tell that to my 4:3, 1:1, or vertical 16:9 display.
>>
>>59771818
sjw
>>
>>59773019
i was saying i am anti tab
and i am pro whitespace - pythonist here
what I was saying was that I require whitespace
but I do not require 4 spaces of indent, I require 1

why 4 ...
>>
>>59773019
boxxy is love
>>
>>59771818
Probably someone who got sick of seeing right aligned comments get misaligned every time the files are opened in an editor that is configured to display a different number of spaces per tab character than what the original developer was using. Why do you even care anyways? Literally every worthy text editor and IDE lets you reformat with a simple keyboard shortcut to however you prefer it.

Only newfags waste time arguing about which is better. I will use either depending on the existing convention of the project. No shits given.
>>
>>59774277
but tabs are bad
tabs pollute anything
do not use tabs
tabs are a throwback, regression
if you need to indent, use 1 space 1 space
>>
>>59774277
programmer howls 3.48 am
YOU GOT TABS IN THIS?
there is no idea, no awareness
do 2 things in addressing python code
1. remove tabs (strip everything above char 248 or whatever (ref manual)) ..
all 4 character indents made into 1 character
>>
>>59774288
On my personal project I use 2 spaces. But it literally does not matter at all. Like I said. Keyboard shortcut to reformat the entire file/project makes this entire debate moot.
>>
>>59774312
why 2
why not 1
WHY TWO
>>
>>59774312
moot is here?
moot used to be #therealfakemoot
in #python on freenode
>>
>press a key 2-4 times
>press a key once
Which would you prefer, you fucking morons?
>>
>>59774380
>His text editor doesn't now how to convert a tab into spaces
Stop using notepad.exe you fucking retard
>>
Functions were indented when code didn't exist and functions were for mathematicians.
>>
A retard.
>>
>>59773046
Yes it is. If you have an 80 column terminal and your system displays tab as four spaces, then any indented lines that use the full width won't fit on the screen on an 80-column, 8-column tab terminal.

>>59773184
>>59774026
No, but that's the standard.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.