[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did any of you actually install gentoo or is it just a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

File: Row0px7n.png (104KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
Row0px7n.png
104KB, 512x512px
Did any of you actually install gentoo or is it just a meme?
>>
yes. i installed it after using arch for 7 years and i'm not going back.
>>
it's a meme
>>
>>59769108
Yes, but I was running it before it was a huge meme here.

Arch is the new meme now anyway.
>>
>>59769140
>>59769221

And which one did you like more, Arch or Gentoo?
>>
>>59769278
the only thing I miss about arch is installing chromium in 30 seconds.
>>
>>59769278
I only used arch for a few days, this was after I already used gentoo for a while.

I didn't like it much and stuck with gentoo in the end.
>>
>>59769108
in 2003, yeah.
>>
>>59769108
I installed it in 2015. It's a good meme if you have enough background to install it
>>
Nobody here even uses Linux seriously
>>
what is the point of gentoo

like, is compiling everything from binary packages really that big of a deal
>>
I've tried it a few times. It is a meme that makes sense if you want to roll something close to a custom distro. But is stupid for general purpose use.
>>
I installed it but couldn't get much else to work after that. Trying to emerge a DE was a god damn nightmare of bugs and error messages.
>>
File: 2017-04-06.png (279KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
2017-04-06.png
279KB, 1366x768px
>>59769108
I did :3
>>
>>59770288
speak for yourself.
>>
>>59770288
KEK
>>
File: gentooWINKYFACE.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
gentooWINKYFACE.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
tehe =33
>>
File: freedom.png (57KB, 540x573px) Image search: [Google]
freedom.png
57KB, 540x573px
>>59770367
freedom!!!!!!!!
>>
>>59770367
Muh cflags
Muh USE flags
>>
File: 20170406-144623.png (94KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
20170406-144623.png
94KB, 1366x768px
>>59769108
Pretty good OS. Portage is amazing and can also make installing local packages a lot easier by writing your own ebuilds. There are a load of advantages in its dependency resolution and ease of maintainance (masking, downgrading, etc.) as well as user patching, out of tree features. USE flags and optimizations are just asides that are nice to have. I have musl+clang tree alongside glibc; I have to install packages manually most of the time because I use CAE/CAD programs not usually in tree. OpenRC is easy to use too but you probably want a supervisor like runit. I see a lot of potential in Gentoo if they ported portage over to something more usable and not an unmaintainable mess dependent on Python2.7, maybe Go or something.
>>
>>59770288
Get with the times Hitler. It's a lot more than enigma nowadays
>>
>>59769108
I used to use gentoo on my desktop all the way from stage1. It's one of the reasons I stopped using linux for years.

Recently tried it again and got stuck compiling the kernel after puzzling over which of the 300 USE flags I should add in, so I gave up and just installed debian. I really don't get why anyone puts up with this shit distro these days.
>>
>>59769108
I do, gentoo is great, people hating on him are butt hurt faggots too retarded to install it or fags that never used it.
>>
>>59772407
>Recently tried it again and got stuck compiling the kernel after puzzling over which of the 300 USE flags I should add in
USE flags have fucking nothing to do with compiling the kernel.

Besides, beyond a few major ones you shouldn't even set any globally. Decide it per package if you wish to, or just stick with the defaults that are usually good enough.
>>
>>59769108
Most people on this board use Gentoo as their primary OS. Once you use it for a while and learn it's secrets you'll never look back.
>>
>>59772055
Could you drop that wallpaper please?
>>
>>59769108
I used it for nearly 8 years

I started using Ubuntu because new apps were always packaged for debian/Ubuntu first

I plan to go back
Gentoo is the best Linux distro IMO
>>
>>59769108
Yes, I installed it. It's a meme.

Need to install something quick? No problem, just emerge the package and let it compile the program and its dependencies for several hours while you wait and get nothing done because you need that program
>>
Used to install it from portage 1, with gnome and open office, it was compiling for 4 days. It was noticably faster, than XP running on same maxhine. Its a good linux crashcourse :) all you have is a man and terminal
>>
Got to thw point of installing a gui then went back to mint like the pleb that i am
>>
>>59774010
Valid argument I guess if you're installing something the first time, but I mean at that point might as well just plan your time better so there isn't suddenly a time constraint on installing something. If you're updating then no not really, you can still just use the old version while it compiles in background.
>>
>>59770367
>compiling from binary packages
what did he mean by this?
>>
Nope, just using Arch instead.
>>
>>59774410
>monochrome theme
This guy knows.
>>
>>59769108
people will say they did and that they really liked it, but theyre all lying, no one actually installs this pos distro
>>
>>59769306
i know right?

such a nice little feature

it actually saves a lot of time because my system broke down so often that i had to reinstall everything every week or so

i really miss having to reinstall my OS all the fucking time using the CLI, now that i use ubuntu
>>
>>59774410
I made that wallpaper a long time ago, happy to see people using it.
>>
I run Gentoo on my home server.
>>
>>59774460
Is this a meme?
I've been using arch for a year now, and I've only had minor problems with the login screen program breaking once.
How tf do you manage to break your system soo often?
>>
It can take up to an hour to compile bigger packages like aptitude and winsocks, but you end up saving time in the end, because they run up to ten times faster. The programs are compiled for just your CPU, so they cut out the middle man and get to work immediately. The only problem is ascii files aren't portable then, they're just for your CPU.
>>
>>59775365
Being autistic and fucking around too much instead of just using your computer for work and entertainment
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.