[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Career Trajectory

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: halpg.jpg (24KB, 475x268px) Image search: [Google]
halpg.jpg
24KB, 475x268px
Step 1: First job, tier 1 remote support.

Step X: Sysadmin

Solve for '...'
>>
a degree
>>
>>59765083
A Lenovo ThinkPad T420s custom modded with a 120gb SSD and an i7- 2620M
>>
20 years
>>
File: 1482306003614.jpg (299KB, 642x900px) Image search: [Google]
1482306003614.jpg
299KB, 642x900px
>>59766019
>>59765736
wrong
comeon, you should be able to solve this...
>>
>>59766084
Sucking dicks for promotion
>>
File: 1469552644797.png (149KB, 624x352px) Image search: [Google]
1469552644797.png
149KB, 624x352px
>>59766108
>>
>>59765083
Linux exposure and enthusiasm.
>>
Here's my own, the early parts probably aren't too relevant these days, I'm 37.

Work at office store for four years. During this time meet clients to do small business consulting work with, mostly network setups and printer installs.

I used that experience to get a job at a small IT consulting people where I ran the repair and white box system building bench for a few months, and the for another year as an onsite consultant. We did a lot more advanced things and I learned a ton. Unfortunately the company went under and I was laid off.

One of the clients of ours at that company was a subsidiary of a very large private global enterprise, their HQ being where I lived. They wanted to hire a full time admin instead of using consulting and since I already had a relationship with them I was hired as that full time admin. I did this for four years until I was promoted to a Linux admin and moved to the big enterprise HQ.

I did this for five years and got really into Devops stuff before it was really called Devops. I was way underpaid though and left there for a job at a big fancy west coast tech company and doubled my salary. I'm a remote employee too.
>>
>>59766161
What's your education background?

Any certs?
>>
What kind of skills would a sys admin need?
>>
>>59767912
Op here
Right now I just have an A+, but I'm working on some Red Hat certs. I could pick up a Network and Security+, but it's a lot of money and I feel like I might as well go for some more advanced certs instead.
>>
>>59767912
Two years of CS in college and dropped out. Don't expect to replicate my success without a degree, I think I've been very lucky several times. Also not having a degree easily set my career back 5-7 years.

I had to get a MS cert to get the consulting company job, just a windows xp one.

I have an RHCE that I got 4-5 years ago just for the hell of it, work paid for the RH300 class.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.