[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You Will Never

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

>get tech rags in the mail excitedly covering rapidly progressing technology
>fuck around with your compy, learning coding and basic mechanics
>use funds from a part time job to buy a discrete graphics card so you can finally run your games with 3d acceleration
>go to lan parties with your college computer engineering friends and shit talk each other in the same room
>have an ugly but still lovable beige monstrosity that is considered state of the art

Hold me bros, this is not okay.
>>
Computing was at its best when very small teams could produce and distribute their software to a wide audience. Or, in other words, when computers were made for the creative market, rather than the consumer market. Taking BASIC (fuck you, BASIC is fine for what it is) off of a ROM chip was the first sign in a changing market.

To put this into some context: VisiCalc was made by two people over a few months. Elite was made by two guys between their studies on an off-the-shelf home micro-computer, Lords of Midnight by an English teacher who didn't touch a computer until he was nearly thirty.

Not saying we should go back to the cost of these machines, but their level of simplicity and raw intent is hard not to appreciate.
>>
You will never watch Terry Davis mow down a CIA nigger with his car like it's 1999.
You will never play Doom over DWANGO with friends again.
You will never see 3DFX release a new graphics card.

>feels batman
>>
>>59748484
>have an ugly but still lovable beige monstrosity that is considered state of the art
I did not ask for those feels.
>>
>you will never get quality crank from SR1 again
>>
>>59748484
I was born in 1980 and literally lived this. It wasn't all that great, we had dial up and really shitty networking technology (ipx).

My first tech purchase was a sound blaster card I ordered from a 4 inch thick computer shopper magazine. My computer didn't even have a sound card at all.

I also spent $250, like two weeks of my part time job pay, on the original monster 3D voodoo card so I could play quakegl..
>>
>swapping floppys with pirated games on them
>dialling up to chat on MSN and IRC
>programming fun and simple games in RPG maker
>downloading mp3s in napster and winMX
>>
>>59748708
>Computing was at its best when very small teams could produce and distribute their software to a wide audience.
Because that's completely impossible nowadays, right?
>>
>>59748888
If you seriously think one guy is going to make something that will shake up the entire industry, between his day job, you have to reconsider your view of reality.
>>
>>59748888
30 downloads off github is not a "wide audience."
>>
>>59748904
>minecraft
>>
>>59748848
>born in 1980
>you're 37 now
>you were only 23 when 4chan was new

1980 WAS 60 YEARS AGO
>>
>>59748950
And I've been shit posting on /g/ for almost 10 years. Fuuuuuuuuu
>>
>>59748904
Dwarf Fortress, Minecraft, Terraria, Stardew Valley, Rimworld, Banished
>>
>>59748950
4chan was never new you faggot.
>>
File: 1280px-Pentium_II.jpg (104KB, 1280x991px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-Pentium_II.jpg
104KB, 1280x991px
>>59748484
I still remember getting a flyer for Pentium II's and couldn't believe it. 300 MHz seemed like a supercomputer at the time. It also came in the coolest form factor for a CPU.
>>
you will never
be a part of modern society
realize that "computing" is at its best right now
not let your shitty nostalgia lie to you about how shit PCs were
be stuck in 2D games land because graphics cards aren't $1200 for entry level
realize that we have this thing called the internet where you can make your own servers and play games anytime
get a fucking job

Pull the trigger, it is over for you.
>>
File: 1476532297171_0.jpg (142KB, 782x366px) Image search: [Google]
1476532297171_0.jpg
142KB, 782x366px
>>59748484
Thats what u get when u r still 17
>>
>>59748484
well, i did all of this from 1998 up to 2005.
>>
fuck that shit nigga i am running a 1080ti
>>
>>59749453
Still have mine under my desk. Works great
>>
I already have OP

Thank god its over, computers were slow as shit back then
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.