[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /g/, I know just a little about PC hardware and I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 7245.760.jpg (269KB, 1674x677px) Image search: [Google]
7245.760.jpg
269KB, 1674x677px
Hello /g/, I know just a little about PC hardware and I'm not sure if I should upgrade my current machine or just get a new one all together.
I've had this dell since late highschool, I bought it off craigslist for $20 and it hasn't given me any shit what so ever so I've kept it. I am thinking about PC gaming soon and want to know if I should throw one of those tiny GTX 1050 in this or scrap the whole machine and invest in a newer PC. I don't have much of a budget.

I kinda have this mentality of "why fix what isn't broken" so I haven't really considered upgrading. This machine does everything It want it to but play games.
Overwatch would be probably the most I'd ask for, maybe battlefield 1 in medium settings.

Its the 3rd optiplex 760 in the picture, very small.
Also, would the GTX 1050 be too much for the 235w power supply it comes with?

Thanks
>>
>>59746897
234 PSU is lol tier at least get a decent 500 W one.
>>
>>59746897
This is the 1050 I was referring to, it looks the exact same size as the gt 610 currently installed.
>>
File: inside.jpg (932KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
inside.jpg
932KB, 1600x1600px
>>59746927
I have no clue what power supply would even fit in this. The PSU installed is oddly shaped and tiny as fuck.
>>
>>59746944
if you are gonna be playing lots of vidya I would buy a new case and a low end rig
>>
>>59746959
Would the 1050 save it?
>>
>>59746959
>>59746968
dells use proprietary front panel bullshit that you cant get pin outs for i would get an rx 460 if you can have full height cards
>>
I'd start from scratch.

There are always weird roadblocks to upgrading prebuilts that aren't """gamer""" focused.
>>
>>59746994
>>59746998

Yeah, but I can spend like $120 on the 1050 and call it a day. Also what would be a good build for around $300-ish.
>>
>>59747010
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wgx7gL
reuse hdd and pirate win 7 if you look through amazon you can prob source stuff a little cheaper
>>
>>59747113
Thanks. I keep that noted.
>>
Bump...
Still need some advice on the 1050 implant.
>>
>>59746994
You can remove the front panel cluster on a lot of different Dells, so that's not really your worst problem with sticking the board in a new case...

The pressing issue is the board layout is backwards on a lot of them (including OP's). You could get it to fit in a standard case, but any graphics card you slap into it isn't going to line up even close to the expansion panel. It will be on the top of the case, and the back panel ports are going line up with the expansion ports on the bottom.

>>59747232
Your CPU is going to be a bottleneck that prevents stuff like BF1 from running at an acceptable framerate no matter what kind of card you rig up. It's time to buy a new computer with a CPU that isn't 10 years old.

At the very least, you can pick up a newer Dell workstation with like 3rd gen i5 in it for ~$150 and slap the 1050 in that.
>>
>>59747232
>>59747429
hes right the only way that q9500 would have a chance would be to oc the hell out of it and you cant do that with a premades mobo
>>
>>59746897
I have my plex server running on one of those and it barely does 1 transcode, you're gonna need to scrap the whole thing minus the HD maybe. The case is not worth the trouble trying to modify to fit parts into.

Save my friend, and wait to see how Ryzen 3 does, it should be in your budget but at 300ish, it's gonna be rough. I'd suggest putting most of your cash into your CPU and looking on craiglists/ebay for a cheap used GPUs. My town has a recycling center which also has a computer inside, if your town has a similar place, you could ask if they got anything recent and save yourself some cash.

Are you in the US? You can probably earn like 100 bucks on Swagbucks if you have some mobile phones to run apps 24/7

>I kinda have this mentality of "why fix what isn't broken" so I haven't really considered upgrading. This machine does everything It want it to but play games.

I have this problem too. Not uncommon desu, rather that that buying friviously shit all th time
>>
>>59746944
I've been checking for higher wattage SFF power supplies on Amazon and shit. It doesn't look like I can get any higher than 280 watts though (https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Dell-Dimension-Optiplex-Desktop/dp/B001RRGH7K/ref=pd_sim_147_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001RRGH7K&pd_rd_r=Q43826TGX83D7QDH7JBC&pd_rd_w=hX8Od&pd_rd_wg=i9v6M&psc=1&refRID=Q43826TGX83D7QDH7JBC).

If you want to find one yourself just type in "sff power supply optiplex 760" or some shit.

I don't know if you should just plug in a 1050, since it recommends 300 watts. You might be okay if you use stock settings or undervolt it or something. I'd still be careful though.
>>
>>59746897
If you're mainly going to play Overwatch, you're probably going to be fine. This video has a Q6600 with a 750 Ti playing Overwatch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWdBr4tFx6k

You'll be able to get better fps, but that power supply is kind of dangerous.
>>
>>59746897
>>>/g/pcbg
>>
i have an optiplex 980 sff like that with the 235w psu.

the nicest graphics card you can put in there (and it's not nice) it's a GT610

upgrading the PSU is gonna be tough because there is no room. dell mobo uses proprietary system and there will be some snipping involved if u decide to go through with it.

just don't bother tbqhphamalam
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.