[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Computer Networking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: top-down_comp_net.jpg (88KB, 524x648px) Image search: [Google]
top-down_comp_net.jpg
88KB, 524x648px
I'm taking a networking class that reads pic related. I'm a little over half way and we've gone through Application, Transport and Data/Control planes of IP. I find this subject very interesting. Wondering if anyone has any experience as networking engineers and if this path is worth pursuing or it's simply overkill to get a shit-tier web dev job?
>>
They say the CCNA makes you super hirable, which makes me suspicious that it doesn't
>>
>>59746955
All serious company's use Cisco, juniper, and F5 hardware. If you're looking for getting into network engineering ccna/other Cisco certs sure are worth it.

Also worth looking into cloud stuff, like aws vpc, VMware virtual networks, ASAs snd vASAs
>>
>>59746390
>competing with old timers whi have minimum 20 year exp but continue to do the same thing over n over because thy believe what everyone in /g/ believes, which is "f ur meme languagues i write everything by hand even if i wrote the same program 30 times last week", when u can just get a webdev/ui intership at facebook n get payed roughly the same amount as them except u now have more options n can follow whtever path u choose in the wonderful world of coding, wether it be softwar dev, sr web dev, [insert ur favorite lang] dev, or ai programing, security, all of which can be accomplis after 3 months-2yr on ur first job"

Idk anon u tell me
>>
>>59746955
The only people I've met who got their CCNA and couldn't get a job were those who wern't willing to take an entry level job.

I worked two helpdesk jobs, left the first one because it wasn't flexible with school and had no upward mobility. I spent two years at my second job but I also went to school at the same time (I was getting paid 12$ and hr). Right after I graduated with my associates degree (never went on to finish my bachelors) I got my CCNA. Started applying for jobs and pretty quickly got a job for 25$/hr full time as a jr net admin.

Just saying, the CCNA definitely helped as I know from the hiring manager it's a major reason why they chose me over other candidates.

>>59747818
You're forgetting Brocade, Ubiquiti, MirkoTik, HP, and Avaya
I've come across all these in my career
>>
>>59747932
What about CCENT, considering I actually have that? How much mileage will that get me?
>>
>>59746390
Ummm if your class isnt already focusing on getting you Cisco certified then u might be wasting your time. Im not sure about ur colleges but here u can take classes that are literally for cisco and they double as an intro to/networking course. Take classes to get certified in cisco, seek as many other certifications as possible (even ones that dont mattet like networking+ and MTA, comptiA+), develope a resume and start considering other jobs that are IT related too. The idea is basically get cisco certified and then get hired to work with their products.
>>
>>59747932
I'm a Sysadmin/Infrastructure guy so I mostly touch virtual networking. Our DCs don't really use any of those vendors you listed so I've got no clue how they are in production. I'll take your word for it though.
>>
>>59746390
do you go to a school in Connecticut by chance?
im using the same book & am at the same section of it in the networking class I take
>>
>>59746390
do you have the 7th edition pdf? i cant find it anywhere
>>
>>59746390
Where do you go to school? Using the exact same book lol
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.