[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SystemD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: mwyzkUS.jpg (46KB, 500x364px) Image search: [Google]
mwyzkUS.jpg
46KB, 500x364px
I've always seen threads on SystemD but never cared to participate as a Windows user. Now I'm getting into linux getting to learn my way around and about to install my first distribution on my laptop.

Was about to install Debian, then I looked into SystemD. And all the heated debate around why should anyone use this.

Just wanna see your guys thoughts on this once again. Why SystemD?
>>
it really won't concern you as a consumer-level user. It's not worth the hassle to switch if you really don't know what it is to be honest.
>>
It's the best D.
It's yuge. Believe me.
Nobody takes care of your computer like systemD, it does it so bigly you wouldn't even believe, folks
>>
>>59744578
>>59744600
It's "systemd" you fucks, or as I've taken to calling it "wangblows+linux".
>>
Use slackware if you're worried about systemd.
>>
>>59744664
Is it really prevalent everywhere? I thought Arch doesn't use it?
>>
>>59744578
Don't listen to autistic Lintards, there is nothing wrong with systemd and they just can't handle the idea of progress being made to Linux.
>>
>>59744680
it does by default, but you can switch inits.
>>
>>59744578
Sauce of that pic?
>>
>>59744726
>opaque
>irreplaceable
Might as well just use windows.
>>
>>59744956
>but you can switch inits
Arch devs don't support it. But Debian and Ubuntu do, Once again, Arch loses, and even the devs admit it: https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
>>
>>59744578

>Was about to install Debian

I'd recommend starting on Ubuntu or Mint (which are based on Debian). They are more beginner friendly.
You can save Debian for later, when you explored Linux a little bit more and feel comfortable with things like shell commands and package management..

>Why SystemD?

This is not even a question anymore.
One of the problems of SystemD is, that it's already deeply ingrained in every major Linux distribution. It's not easy to avoid SystemD completely unless you are an advanced user.

Or let me put it like this:
SystemD is retarded shit because of many reasons, but it does it's job (like the NSA does, even though they do things that are not OK). So just ignore it for now until you are an advanced user, then you can spend time thinking about what's wrong with it and if you want to switch somehow.

For now it's much more important to understand things like the linux terminal, the folder structure and so on.

>http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/

>https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/100
>>
>>59748001

To elaborate further:

With distros like Mint or Ubuntu you can avoid the terminal. But it's worth getting those skills, because it makes you a much better linux user.

But take your time, if you want to get comfortable with the GUI first, that's OK. It will feel pretty much like Windows.
>>
systemd sucks because of their sneaky ways to penetrate every distro and lied to prevent forks of now-systemd-integrated-projects gain traction and work without it
>>
90% of users don't have to care about it. Lots of people bash systemd for it's feature creepd and bloatd but it just werks, so no need to try to avoid it without a personal reason.
>>
>>59744578
source?
>>
16 posts.
Nobody actually stating things wrong with systemD. You fucks need to forget the politics.

SystemD has the advantage over the regualar init system that allows services to start in a chain. Init has run levels, but if you have some complexity things that could need to start in an order usually get lumped in a single run level. Although this isn't a real problem as init levels have been working for years and will continue to work. Services starting in a certain order is still easier accomplished fairly easily through bash fuckery.

Some valid reasons to hate it:
Bloat - if you consider this valid
increased complexity - there have been a few times where the extra functions caused problems/bugs and their will continue to be. init system is very stable. Famous problem was that you could format your bios accidentally through your operating system.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.