[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Masters in CS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

File: Masters-Degree-300x172.jpg (13KB, 300x172px) Image search: [Google]
Masters-Degree-300x172.jpg
13KB, 300x172px
I'm currently trying to get a Masters in CS and I'm finding it to be not satisfying

Anybody else in here currently or already have their Masters?
>>
>>59729018
Drop out and get a job in the industry. Why waste your money and life at school?
>>
I was going to but I said FUCK IT and just went to work
>>
>>59729018
Do you want to do research, or do you want to be a programmer? Guess which one everybody will think you want to do when you have a masters. If you want to do research, I hope you continue on and get your masters. Otherwise, I hope you understand that you've made a terrible mistake.
>>
never saw the point to the CS masters

Bachelors or Doctorate are the only ones people hiring care about
>>
>Anybody else in here currently or already have their Masters?

Does this look like the kind of place that people studying CS masters degrees would frequent?
>>
>>59729116

Yes.
>>
>>59729116
sure does
>>
>>59729018
I have no degree but I work with some people who have a masters in CS. They aren't actually as good as I would expect. In fact, almost all of my most knowledgeable coworkers are self taught with very little if any formal education after high school.
>>
>>59729018
got mine while working full time. it was boring as fuck and didn't really care about the material but its definitely paying off.
you can ignore the moron brainlet dropouts here, a masters degrees in cs holds its value in the field. for research, you want phd. if you want employers to not treat you like a child, you want to have a masters at the very least. if you have a job and your work is willing to pay for your tuitions then there is no reason not to get one unless you're a brainlet.
>>
>>59729018
I have a masters degree in computer science.

Now what? If you want to AMA, go ahead.
>>
Got a phd in computerology. Its ok.
>>
File: 14829571310671.jpg (38KB, 500x361px) Image search: [Google]
14829571310671.jpg
38KB, 500x361px
>>59729018
Was going to college for a CS degree.
Realised it was a waste of time and money and went back to reaching myself.

Everything you need to know and could ever want to know about computers can be learned online, for free.
Try it out.
Currently teaching myself BASH. It's easy, you don't need to sit through a lecture to understand how it all works. That's why we have help and manual commands. Read through that stuff, mess around with it.
>>
>>59729311
If I have a bachelors in another stem field can I get a masters in cs? I have a fair amount of coding experience and can work my way through projects in multiple languages.
>>
>>59729351
Learning bash is quite different than learning, say, c++ or haskell.
>>
>>59729351
i know two coders like you who went back to school to get their degrees because they couldn't move up
>>
>>59729351
People don't go to college to learn shit. They go to get a piece of paper that tells everyone that they know their shit and showed up for class for years on end to prove it.
>>
>>59729221
That's what I've seen which is why I wrote off a masters, however as time went on, everybody around me had a Masters and I was the odd one out

>>59729370
If you're decent at coding and want to try something new, then yes. But you'll be reading academic papers and doing lots of math so be prepared for that
>>
>>59729351
Sounds like you don't know what you are talking about.
>>
>>59729311
Did you work while attending grad school or just went to school? If you worked how rigorous was it and how long did it take to finish.
>>
a master is not worth it unless you're talking about a phd
>>
>>59729425
I'm writing my senior thesis on modeling computational systems after neurological structues rn, I'm actually interested in the research side of comp sci a bit and it fits kinda nicely with my weeks-away neuroscience degree.
>>
>>59729394
Statement still stands. If it's python, SQL,C++, whatever, it's all online. Visit the official websites, go on stack exchange, download free pdfs,watch YouTube videos,use codecademy or whatever coding tutorial website you prefer, teach yourself for a few hours a day. Create projects you want to work on. Start small. Even if it's a simple loop or a database, you created something. Build on it, expand. Be patient.
>>
>>59729351
I don't know if this is a troll post, but not everybody getting a bachelors or masters in CS is completely helpless in front of a computer. Part of my pride prevented me from getting my masters up until now
>>
>>59729423
Yea I understand that.
>>59729432
K
>>
>>59729370
That's a common structure in Europe. You may need to do a one-year pre-master curriculum to catch up, or you may be able to roll directly into the master's. I don't know whether this is commonly possible outside Europe.

A non-CS bachelor followed by a CS master will not, of course, get you a CS background as extensive as a bachelor and master combined; but it will generally do the job perfectly well in regards to employment.

>>59729436
Just full-time school. (Well, I did some side jobs such as a a couple of TA-ships, but I was primarily studying and secondarily earning some side money.)
>>
>>59729464
You do realize you're supposed to learn all that irregardless of getting your degree. CS isn't about 'learning programming', it pertains to the theory and application of computational science. These tools that you learn, you're expected to learn them in your spare time
>>
>>59729018
Should have gotten a job and see after a year or two of working if you wanted to go back. If you got a year left though I say finish it because it will look good in the long run. The guy who worked the two or three years in the industry will look slightly better than you now but 15 years from now when you both have 10 plus years of experience each you will look much better than him
>>
>>59729221
Yes but it's fucking infuriating because the people with the Masters degrees will make more money and get scheduled promotions faster than those "self taught" types. And to top it off, they will still be doing basically the same job.
>>
>>59729448
It sounds like you're on the right track, as long as there's a particular sub-field within computer science that you're passionate about and you pick an institution where they are an expert in that particular field, you'll do fine
>>
If you ever want to make your way through the ranks of management without working 30 years, you'll need a graduate degree. CS though? Ehhh. MBA, MSBA, or MIS are better bets for extending your career well into the six figure range. Currently have an MSBA degree. 29, senior technical consultant, almost 50 people under me, and plenty of future growth oppurtunities. Be smart, don't be a code monkey your whole life.
>>
>>59729532
I already had a few years experience in the software industry, decided to drop all that and go back to school

Was getting old that these foreigners who were half-programmers had a Masters while I was the odd one out

There's a running joke around in the software industry (especially in the government sector). It's rare to find a person who's BOTH an American citizen in CS and also a Masters graduate

Only thing is I wish I started earlier, did more math as an undergrad, and try to find an area within CS I'm passionate in
>>
>>59729478
Im not telling you to drop out.
Question, what do you want to do once you get your masters?
>>
>>59729615
Go back into industry, hopefully it'll open up more doors later down the road
>>
>>59729508
Yea I get that. CS EE and related degrees are math heavy courses. Calculus, discrete mathematics, linear algebra math theory (if you're into cryptography)algorithms and the like. Without those skills, you won't get very far.
>>
File: 1490566464842.jpg (72KB, 400x579px) Image search: [Google]
1490566464842.jpg
72KB, 400x579px
>>59729656
Best of luck to you m8
>>
>>59729270
>if you want employers to not treat you like a child, you want to have a masters at the very least.
At both of my jobs I have freedom to pretty much do whatever I want with very little management.

I only have a BA in CS. That's right, a BA, suck it.
>>
>>59729757
Hey thanks man, likewise to you
>>
>>59730103
Why not try getting a Masters, perhaps as part-time? You can take night-classes, may take you little longer but another thing you can prove yourself
>>
>>59730122
Why? I literally won't get anything out of a Masters. I don't know about research, but in software eng no one cares about your education after you've worked for more than a year, job experience is way more important.
>>
>>59730150
>I don't know about research
Isn't that the whole point of school, so you can learn?

Also, what if somebody else has just as much experience as you but also has a Masters?
>>
>>59730180
>Isn't that the whole point of school, so you can learn?
You can learn on the job.

>Also, what if somebody else has just as much experience as you but also has a Masters?
Then they're going to be paid the same. A vagina is a bigger advantage than a masters.
>>
>>59730223
I agree being female is a huge unfair advantage, now what if she has a Masters and you're a straight dude with just a Bachelors?
>>
>>59729018
a masters is completely useless.

2 years wasted.
>>
>>59730103
>has to work two jobs to stay afloat
packaging and burger flipping? nice.
>>
>>59730447
Not in euroland
>>
>>59730223
>Then they're going to be paid the same.

I hate my company but people with Masters degrees definitely make more. If you have an MS, you'll go from "Developer I" to "Developer II" in two years -- it will take five with a BS. This is scheduled and there's nothing a manager can do about it. It's literally the same job just a different fucking payscale.
>>
>>59730647
Indeed. In the Netherlands, most people are expected to get a Masters at the university level. This is probably because most US bachelors seem to be 4 years, while here they're 3 years. Most STEM Masters are 2 years, with the first one basically the same as the bachelor, just more 'advanced' courses (some of which cover topics that aren't in any textbook yet.) and 1 year of internship + graduation thesis.
>>
>>59730709
And this is why people say that studying is an investment.

>>59730749
Yup, altough here in Hungary, 7 semester bscs are common as well. And its's pretty much expected to have a masters to be considered as a uni graduate
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.