[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Got my first tech job... Advices?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: hacker.png (6KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
hacker.png
6KB, 480x270px
Tier 1 help desk. I was told it's going to be all remote support, no heading next door to be there physically to fix stuff.

Anyway, I start in a week, and I'm actually pretty nervous. There's like 2 months training once I start, is that normal? How much training do I need to reset passwords? What's Tier 1 training about?

Also what's the day to day like? When I look for some info, I mostly see either vague stuff or parody videos about how tech support sucks your soul through your urethra with a plumbing snake. So what's a real day to day like, and is there much variation as far as you know between different companies?

Also what's the best way to move up to Tier 2, and keep climbing? What can I do to set myself apart at work? I want to make a career of this, and get myself in a comfortable sysadmin position someday soonish.

Tell me all about Tier 1, and if you got to a better position through help desk, tell me about that. And if there's no way up in this company, how long should I stay and rack up those EXP points before moving on?

My ultimate goal is Linux sysadmin, so I plan on collecting Linux certs while I'm there, too, to further my quest to obtain Wizardry.

Thanks fa/g/s
>>
>>59728552
>it's going to be all remote support
you should have taken the "be there physically to fix stuff" job.
Are you suicidal? This is important.
>>
>>59728749
I didn't get a chance for the 'physically exist to touch computer parts' stuff, this was the only job that was offered.

Is it really that bad? I really assumed it was a meme. I mean it's got to be better than a lot of other jobs, and it's something that you pass through onto bigger and better stuff.
>>
File: 1355504063520.gif (197KB, 400x289px) Image search: [Google]
1355504063520.gif
197KB, 400x289px
>>59728819
Tech support jobs are thankless hell-jobs. You will be abused by customers. You will be abused by coworkers. You will be abused by management. You will be considered shit-tier and barely human. You will never be able to do the right thing. And you will never be able to do enough for anyone.

Seriously, go work for Starbucks or something. The only job you are qualified for after working in tech support are other tech support jobs.
>>
>>59728552
Enjoy the first circle of hell in all its terror and torment. Expect not knowing what is expected of you and being trashed constantly because you're not working according to this weeks expectations. Expect being blamed by customers for you corperations and coworkers fuckups. Expect never getting anything but spiteful comments from tier 2 because you are beneath them.

I ended up quitting my job and got another one (technician/consultant) after quitting my job (and pretty much getting all of my coworkers to quit at the same time), learned that none is qualified for the ridiculous jobposts every is posting ("certified sql knowledge, +5 years of experience, CCNA" for tier 1) and to be brutally honest with recruiters, apparently social skills >>>>> tech skills
>>
>>59729972
Alright, I get the meme, the job blows.
So how do I get past it and into tier 2, or beyond?

I totally get the point on recruiters, but what happens when you BS your way past the qualifications and need to do something you have no idea how to do?
I mean, I guess you could cram study while you're not working and use the google machine, but I imagine the job would be a lot easier if you knew what you were doing.

In any case, I'm at the point where I need to be able to put a year of experience on my resume to get this shitshow of a career started.
>>
>>59730097
study up, get some certs/degree and quit
go into linux, windows sysadmin, networking, or security
>>
>>59728552
>remote support

good luck, its the worse or the best depending on your personalities. I personally prefer to go on-site as I can see clearly of the issue instead of arguing with stupid customers who barely even knows the difference between a power and reset button.

oh btw "try restarting or shutting down the PC for 15 minutes before turning back on" is very useful for every problem you find. Be it mission critical applications.
>>
OP here.

Alright, I'll let you know if it's as bad as you all say, where it's some certain circle of hell where I'm made to wade through shit or chew lead or whatever.

I'm really just trying to get some experience so I can move on to something else. I've read a lot about how experience is the most important factor in getting a job in tech, so even if I did have Linux certs right now, or even a B.S., it wouldn't help as much as experience.

Honestly, at this point in my life, it's either flip burgers forever, or wade through the Styx for the hope of something better. The pay from this job will help a lot with the ~$300 test costs for certs.

So, I get it, help desk tier 1 is shit. How can I fix it once I get there? How can I control my gag reflex to suck demon dick? How can I move up and swallow maybe a little less of the boiling sulfur demon cum?

All I've got so far is exactly what I said when I looked elsewhere; memes about how horrible the job is. No one's told me a day-to-day rundown, or anything about the training process, or how to move up besides supressing my gag reflex. I'd like something more productive, honestly.

>>59730679
being the exception
>>
File: ananime.jpg (5KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
ananime.jpg
5KB, 300x168px
>>59733017
Here's an anime.
I understand that you people use these as currency. Now tell me what I need to know.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.