[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

command line software

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: Josuke_jojolion_crop.png (441KB, 392x495px) Image search: [Google]
Josuke_jojolion_crop.png
441KB, 392x495px
i plan to go full autism in the lab i work, so recommend me good cli-applications like vim
>>
>>59727298
cmus - music player
tmux - terminal multiplexer (you can open multiple terminals in one screen)
pianobar - Pandora player that breaks all the time
htop - a 'task manager'
irssi - IRC client
nc - (net cat) TCP/UDP tool
nmap - H@XoR program for network scanning
>>
vimfx
>>
>>59727298
>>59727410
mpv does CLI I'm pretty sure, I normally just use that.
I use htop and irssi on a daily basis though, really hand programs.
>>
>>59727410
htop is ass nmon is better
>>
>>59727298
lines - CLI web browser. hard to browse modern sites but, it's there.
>>
>>59727298
curl, awk, grep, zsh, crontab
>>
Lolcat is a must for labwork. Screenfetch, cmatrix and ranger+w3m
>>
newsbeuter
>>
>>59727298
moc - music player
screen - multiplexer, but better than tmux, is like a desktop environment
irssi - IRC client
newsbeuter - RSS news feed reader and podcatcher
ranger - file browser
mpv - videoplayer, can work on the framebuffer
kodi - media center, can work on the framebuffer
fbpdf - pdf reader
>>
>>59593805 (OP)

GNU Screen can be used as a window manager and hotkey binder, with slmenu (or even pdmenu) as an application launcher and/or window switcher, snippy.sh as a clipboard and text snipper, which combined with slmenu can be better than any clipboard manager. GPM for mouse, jfbterm for CJK font rendering (and even wallpaper setting) and Byobu for system notification

But other things are necessary, for which some tools exists but don't cover all in an easy way

Like an ebook reader, from which exists: fbpdf (pdf, djvu -through djvulibre-, epub, xps, and cbz), fimgs (PostScript, pdf, cbr, rar, cbz, zip, dvi), JFBView (pdf, Table of Contents (TOC) viewer, Interactive text search), CHMLib (can be used to view chm), catdoc (xls2csv, catppt, wordview, to view MS Office documents). All those either cover different formats, have good but not shared features or have no single wrapper program to form an unified ebook reader.

The lack of a document processor is obvious, but could be solved with a text based Texmacs able to edit and create word documents and spreadsheets, and if could also render TeX and images on the framebuffer.

The file manager has his caveats too, again, many good tools exists like qmv (renameutils) for a batch renamer, fzf for fuzzy finding and file search, Fdupes for duplicate files removal, Atool for a compressed files manager, fasd for directory browsing by history, and xd for directory expansion. Ranger is a good tool, of all the thing it offers the quick browsing and the file preview are the best, but I couldn't make the image previews work on the tty. Also the python dependency makes it hard. If all those were solved, there is still one thing missing, that is an image organizer like gThumb. Which something like Ranger could replace if it presented more than one image preview at the time, maybe even a grid of picture previews like sxiv does when you press enter. Can you imagine that!

cont.
>>
>>59729169
htop is a TUI not a CLI program
>>
>>59729880

Which makes me think, how about image drawing in the framebuffer? We have SHPaint and cadubi, Aewan and textdraw. Still nothing like Krita. ImageMagick is a command line image editor, but is not that easy to make a quick editing like in gThumb, or a fast text-styling for memes. Although for framebuffer screenshots and screencasting, ImageMagick can do it by binding a simple script, and can even do image viewer.

For image viewer, video player, and even music player, we could use one only, which is MPV. But it lacks a good playlist manager and some keybindings for this. Ranger could be used as a file browser if someone add a playlist manager for MPV it would solve a lot of peoples lives.

Last but not least, there is the web browser problem. First of all, you don't have to give up javascript in the framebuffer, NetSurf can work on the framebuffer just fine. But why stop there. Some of us like the idea of browsing with vi-like keybindings, like vimperator, dwb, or even Uzbl does. And with dwb being a fully featured web browser, capable of converting Firefox bookmarks to its own format, a greasemonkey plugin, an ad blocker integrated and a plugin manager, it only needs to change the layout engine for the NetSurf one.

Yes, this seems more like a wishlist, but is a start for those of you looking for something like this.

Curious tip, Kodi (XBMC) apparently can be compiled to work on the framebuffer.
>>
>>59729892
i would not know since i do not use it
>>
>>59729892
So does 90% of the programs posted here
>>
>>59729923
Yeah but this post only refers to a single one that's unquestionably not CLI.

Vim for example is both TUI and CLI (ex-mode).
>>
>>59727410
>cmus - music player
This is pretty comfy.
>>
>>59727298
All you ever need is EXWM, the Emacs X Window Manager.
>>
tmux
vim
ranger
mpd+ncmpcpp
rsync
irssi
w3m
mutt
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.