[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to IP addressing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: ANIMALS-husky-upside-down-smile.jpg (206KB, 960x574px) Image search: [Google]
ANIMALS-husky-upside-down-smile.jpg
206KB, 960x574px
Suppose I have a router that is connected to two other routers.

How do I figure out what IP address and subnet mask I assign to the interfaces? Would this setup only require a /30 subnet mask, or would I have to go to /29? Do I end up with 192.168.1.128 or similar as my IP address? Do I have to use Class A/B/C?

I haven't been able to find any decent tutorials on how, exactly, you determine IP addresses and subnets for anything. A lot of stuff kind of explains the general meaning of it all, but nobody anywhere seems to go step by step through the process explaining why and how you choose an IP address for a router.
>>
>>59726536
if you cant find tutorials on how to do it, you wouldnt understand how to accomplish it in the first place
>>
>>59726536
>I haven't been able to find any decent tutorials

google professor messer, hes got a lot of good self study stuff
>>
File: 1261442845085.jpg (10KB, 251x234px) Image search: [Google]
1261442845085.jpg
10KB, 251x234px
>>59726536
Go to 192.168.1.1
advanced options
Turn on DHCP
Plug cat6 cable into router
make sure it's not the WAN port
Plug other end into thousand islands
>>
>>59726536
>Do I have to use Class A/B/C?
Classfull networking has be irrelevant for decades.
>how, exactly, you determine IP addresses and subnets for anything
Think of how many hosts you want to have on this network. Add 2 to that number for the network address and broadcast address.
Find the smallest power of 2 greater or equal to that number. Subtract that from 32. Usually, subnets are also made a lot bigger than they need to be, so they don't have to be renumbered when you add more hosts, and it's usually done to some "nice" number.

For example, if I want 10 hosts on a subnet, I need 12 addresses. 2^4 (16) is the smallest power of 2, so I need a /28 subnet. Unless I was constrained on addresses, I would probably knock that up to a /24.

The addresses themselves aren't important. Just pick something logical and easy to remember. It would be a good idea to write it down.
If you have a shitload of addresses to work with (e.g. RFC1918 address space), you can do fancy shit like embedding information about the connection in the address.
I once did a thing where I embedded the "router numbers" in one of the octets. If I had three routers named 1, 2, and 3, I would make the connection between the router 1 and 2 be 10.0.12.0/30, 1 and 3 be 10.0.13.0/30 and 2 and 3 be 10.0.23.0/30, with the lower router number getting .1 and the higher getting .2.

>Would this setup only require a /30 subnet mask
That is typically the kind of subnet you would have between two routers.
>>
>>59726615
I'm using packet tracer and a theoretical network, not an actual network.
>>
>>59726536
Suppose I have an evil dogger who should go away
>>
ask your teacher.

>babbies first networking class
>>
>>59727026
I am my teacher.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.