[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why exactly does high FPS cause coil whine?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: download.jpg (5KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5KB, 200x200px
Why exactly does high FPS cause coil whine?
>>
Coils are lazy fucks and prefer to take it easy at 30 fps.
>>
>>59721951
Lol
>>
>>59721938
It's an inductor. It works by creating a magnetic field that then affects the current flowing through it. The field changes with instantaneous power consumption, which fluctuates constantly during use. It's stronger with heavy use because more current = more magnet.

A coil with current flowing through it in a magnetic field will tend to vibrate, producing sound, similar to how a speaker works. If the coil has any give to it, you'll get coil whine. If it's either made really well or is potted well, you'll get less or no whine.
>>
Poor quality graphics card aka AMD
>>
>>59721938

I suppose higher fps might be causing the coils to oscillate faster, at a frequency closer to the audible range.
>>
>>59721938

Because of its rotational velocidensity and to some degree electrical infetterence from the increased voltage.
>>
>>59722030
my speakers only make noise when my nvidia GPU is under load
>>
>>59722018
For example in Witcher 3 main menu i get >1000 FPS while my GPU load is under 50% and power draw around 20% and the coil whine is very loud, but in game with 100% usage and ~65% power draw and 50-100 FPS it's much quieter.
>>
>>59722096
i get 3130 fps on the main menu lmao fpslet
>>
>>59721938
The cores of the inductors have a property called magnetostriction that cause them to deform slightly under magnetic fields. Intra-frame power fluctuations cause the cores to get longer and skinnier then shorter and fatter once every frame.

More fps = higher pitch whine, bigger difference between peak and baseline power = louder.

It's not really feasible to put enough caps on a board to power a whole frame's required energy at ~1V, so it's a hard problem to perfectly address.
>>
>>59722170
Interesting, thanks!
>>
>>59722096
At the menu screen, the power draw varies more. You're also getting >1000 runs through the same code path a second. If it has a high power draw and low power draw part, that'll make a >1000 Hz tone which will be very audible.

At a pretty constant 100% use, you either don't have much fluctuation in power use, or what fluctuation there is doesn't have much in the 20-20000 Hz human hearing range. There's probably still fluctuation as different parts of the main loop run each frame, but at 50-100 FPS, that'll make a 50-100 Hz tone if there's one low draw and one high draw part of the code. And that will blend into the fan noise and go unnoticed.
>>
>>59722096
The strength of the induced coil movement depends of the rate of change of the current in the coil so a constant/stable high load is quieter than fast jumping between 0% and 50% load.
>>
>>59722096
the solution to this is to just limit your fps to your display
>>
>>59722304
Doesn't bother me, just curious about the subject.
>>
coils are telling you "the human eye can't see past 30fps anyway"
>>
>>59722170
>>59722243
>>59722250
>>59722304
In general the ideals are to not use more power than needed, use more capacitors between the inductors and the chips drawing power, and have the chips use as even power across a frame's generation as possible.

In fact, frame limiting a renderer and then dynamically undervolting/underclocking the GPU to use up the entire timeslice yields the best overall efficiency so long as the GPU has surplus horsepower.
>>
>>59721938
BECAUSE ASSHOLES DIDNT HOTGLUE THE FUCKS AND THEYRE VIBRATING LIKE YOUR MOTHERS 12 INCH DILDO
>>
>>59722157
>Fpslet

Keked out loud at this
>>
because when you feed them enough energy they become sentitent and start to cry for the injustices commited against Tesla.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (17KB, 193x258px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
17KB, 193x258px
>>59722018
This is why PSUs are all gunked up inside with that shit to keep things from vibrating and failing over time.

Good ones will have the black heat shrink tape over the coil to prevent anything from scraping off the wire enamel and be gunked up to the board and components near them.
>>
>>59725936
implying the manufacturers give a fuck. That gunk is their tears.
>>
>>59725989
Without that gunk the PSUs would tear themselves apart.
>>
>>59722085
your onboard sound, not the gpu
retard
>>
>>59721951
KEK , this remind me of my coworkers , here another (You)
>>
>>59721938
They whine because they're tired of being coiled up so tight and they're little bitches. Uncoil your coils and they'll quiet down.
>>
>>59726113
what are you talking about, retard?
when my AMD GPU is under 100% load no issue
when my NVIDIA GPU is under 100% load I have lots of sound issues
>>
>>59726972
Sounds like a motherboard issue. A gpu wouldn't affect speakers like that.
>>
>>59722030
>>59725936
>>59726067
Coil whine is normal and silicone is used to prevent excess movement not prevent vibration.

Dumb reddit kids really need to stay out of giving their opinion about electronics. Especially power supplies. Still got you retards thinking their PSU is faulty or blowing up because they hear a relay click.
>>
fucking magnets how do they work
>>
>>59727078
no issues with motherboard
the speakers get interference from that much power running through my computer, since nvidia is a housefire
>>
>>59722157
Underrated post
>>
File: 1478972056194.jpg (138KB, 821x831px) Image search: [Google]
1478972056194.jpg
138KB, 821x831px
>real bad coil whine on an old TV
>I'll just cover the coil with hot glue
>covered the coil with hot glue
>TV wouldn't turn on anymore
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.