[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Your idea of the future 10 years ago vs today

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1480491111561.gif (1MB, 500x558px) Image search: [Google]
1480491111561.gif
1MB, 500x558px
I've been thinking about this recently and figured it might be interesting to make a thread on it. How do the expectations you had of the future of hardware and software trends 10 years ago compare to what actually has happened over the past 10 years? How close was your idea of the future to reality? Are you happy with how things turned out?
>>
where's my flying car
>>
>>59709302
I realised a few weeks back that i would be doing just fine on my first computer that had a core 2 duo, Radeon HD 7850 2GB and 4 GB of ram.

Fuckings gaming meme ruined everything.
>>
>>59709302
10 years ago I was a dumb child who didn't tough much of the future, so I just imagined a very generic flying cars and computers everywhere and lots of tall buildings.

Now I think that the future won't be too different from today. Maybe (god forbid) smart houses will become a thing, and we will have a bit more buildings in some countries, tho not in the average american country. But society will be largely the same shit it's been for 2000 years, flying cars won't become a thing, not on Earth at any rate, maybe in colonies in other planets, which I do believe will happen.

Computers will keep getting faster, silicon will be replaced by something else, Windows will most likely be replaced by other OS (possibly Android) as the dominant OS, code will keep getting shittier, so the increases in power won't actually equate to faster usage experience, we might or might not see a game market crash, or the industry will just keep growing stale forever like the movies industry. I don't believe people will ever accept computers inside their bodies, and I don't think we'll see a situation where you need to "upgrade" yourself to be competitive because there will likely be government regulations in most countries to avoid this.

And at some point the iron grip of the NATO over the world will have to break because some of the major players will collapse, and we'll probably have another "dark age" which in reality will mean that the world will keep progressing, but slower, and we might see more wars, but nothing apocalyptic, and in 1000 years some other faggot on 12chan or whatever will be making a thread just like this.
>>
>>59709302
Pretty much where we are desu.

The internet has ended culture through offering the most addictive product possible instead (narcissism).

Has nobody else noticed time has basically stopped?

>No noteworthy artistic movements
>No noteworthy literary movements
>No noteworthy musical genres
>No distinctive youth movements
>No particular developments in fashion

I'm basically t.oldfag, I should be completely alienated from young people are up to in terms of most of the above, but its the same old shit. At worst its boring and rehashed but thats about it.

This one of the reasons people think millennials are particularly gutless but I think its a wider change than that.
>>
>>59709704
To be fair, a core 2 duo would still run a lot of games. The graphics card is where the concern comes in.
>>
Why am I not living on Mars
>>
>>59709302
I didn't think a lot about the future when I was younger, it was probably why I was so happy, care-free, I was just happy for new shit to be coming out, for computers to be changing, for better or for worse.

Things have slowed down now and it feels a bit... meh, as much as I hate Intel the compute stick was probably the biggest 'wow this is futuristic' moment for me in the past five years or so.

Just really hope something amazing happens that really shakes up the computing scene before I'm too old to appreciate and make use of it properly.
>>
I thought all the major issues holding back progress and advancement would be taken care of and things would be better. like poverty and hunger would have been eradicated but it feels like things have only gotten worse.

I figured we would have become more socially desensitized and able to put all the really retarded shit behind us, but it literally has only gotten worse. I thought that stupid shit like racism and trying to censor people you don't agree with, would be a thing of the past. but nope! now you got people calling for the internet to be centralized and thought crime has become a punishable offense in some countries.

I wasn't expecting flying cars or towering skyscraper cities, but I was HOPING to see us already send a man to Mars and have our economic crisis out of the way. hell even terabit internet speeds, but you have traditionalism holding back progress.

that's just my opinion though.
>>
>>59709302
Implying Trump hasn't destroyed the world by then...
>>
I thought everyone would know where to download music
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.