[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does the computer science industry look like?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: gifts-for-the-queen.gif (81KB, 650x415px) Image search: [Google]
gifts-for-the-queen.gif
81KB, 650x415px
I'm 2 years into my CS degree and I will begin a series of rigorous internships this summer.

I come to ask /g/ for some insight on what the industry looks for in a CS grad?

How does one reach the higher spectrum of payment in this field?

How does one enter a company that will pay their masters for them?

How do people treat computer scientists in the work place? How do regular co-workers see them?

What can you do other than internships to be in demand with companies?

Which companies should I be looking for?

What skills are the highest in demand?

Sorry if I'm all over the place with these questions. My mind is just spinning because I am barely beginning to research the industry. If anyone has experience please post your knowledge ITT.
>>
File: 1451791957901.jpg (2MB, 4086x5898px) Image search: [Google]
1451791957901.jpg
2MB, 4086x5898px
I guess I can bump with anime girls.
>>
File: 1449955889685.gif (293KB, 1006x800px) Image search: [Google]
1449955889685.gif
293KB, 1006x800px
>>
Nobody on g actually has a degreeee nevermind a job.
>>
File: 7AB.jpg (540KB, 1499x939px) Image search: [Google]
7AB.jpg
540KB, 1499x939px
>>59708592
Fuck.

Can you direct me to a forum that does have industry experience?
>>
>>59707892
Are you taking about something that really is computer science or a "programming" style job?
>>
>>59708660
I would prefer something that is really CS, and not just programming.

I'm pretty good at math.
>>
There is no CS industry, just like there's no math industry. Now, there's applied math like engineering, or applied CS which is software eng or similar.
>>
>>59708603
[spoiler]reddit[/spoiler]
>>
>>59708701
Can you guys tell me about software eng then?

What am I supposed to do to be in high demand?
>>
you'll get better answers over here
[spoiler]reddit.com/r/computerscience[/spoiler]
>>
You can either become a programmer or IT type (sysadmin etc.). You can even try out both overtime and work yourself into a DevOps team which can be quite fun.
>>
>>59707892
>series of rigorous internships
what the fuck does this mean? you have multiple internships over the summer? what are they, 4 weeks each?
>>
>How does one reach the higher spectrum of payment in this field?

This will work into your next question. Long-term goal should be management level just like any other industry. Even if your making $150k/year or something of that nature you'll still be a code monkey most of the time. Truth is, it's like this in every industry.

>How does one enter a company that will pay their masters for them?

Corporate America will pay for your MBA if you prove yourself.

>How do people treat computer scientists in the work place? How do regular co-workers see them?

Where I work it's a prerequisites for even entry level IT positions so there is a lot of CS majors. I don't think your treated special because you have a CS degree, but they do expect you to know more then say someone who just went to school for information systems.

>What can you do other than internships to be in demand with companies?

Projects, projects, and projects. People get recruited just off their blogs and githubs sometimes.

>Which companies should I be looking for?

Such an open ended question. If you want bleeding edge then look at startup type stuff, but the job security sucks. If you want a comfy 9-5 with ultimate job security and you can get a security clearance look at government. If you want a bit of both then look at something corporate.
>>
good info up above.
>>
>>59709065
Would the SE scene look similar.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.