[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Programming Languages

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: CBpxF32WEAAFVUm.png large.png (729KB, 811x1217px) Image search: [Google]
CBpxF32WEAAFVUm.png large.png
729KB, 811x1217px
What programming languages worth learning from the best productivity point of view? I do C# and Java as a Job. I really like C#, but right now you can't really use it as a swiss knife like Java, but Java is so bloated it hurts sometimes, also you need to code too much for simple things. What is certain that I will not learn any loosely typed languages like Python and won't use JavaScript on anything other than client side web development.

In the last few weeks I looked at some functional languages, which I really can associate with. However I bet if I start using Clojure, after a short time I would just end up using lots of the Java libraries I hate so much (just from Clojure, so what is the point).

Thought about Scala too, but merging the OOP design with functional this way don't sounds too promising, also I read lot's of Scala programmers moved to Python, so.

What are your thoughts on this? What is the best balance between better productivity/faster coding and basically the ultimate swiss knife, C (but slow as hell coding)
>>
>>59702871
I guess you could take a look at Go or Rust.
>>
>>59702913
How mature is Go?
>>
>>59702871
>best productivity point of view
Python.

>I will not learn any loosely typed languages like Python
Okay then.
>>
>>59703914
I don't really see, why should I even bother with python. Anything I can do with it, can do with JavaScript too, the thing is that I just don't want to use these slow languages.
>>
Where are Matlab-Chan and Fortran-Chan ?
>>
>>59704696
> Matlab
He was raped and thrown in the dumpster
>>
>>59702871
Common Lisp
>>
>>59702871
C++17 or Rust for hipster
>>
>>59704290
> the thing is that I just don't want to use these slow languages.
Python programmer will be done long before you
>>
>>59704765
And the code will be duck-typed trash
>>
File: 1482287377939.png (480KB, 600x849px) Image search: [Google]
1482287377939.png
480KB, 600x849px
Depends entirely on what you want to do.

Programming languages are a means to an end.
>>
>>59704856
> Wolfram Language
Fuck off with your propietrary shit language, you stupid fucking nigger with down syndrom
>>
I am not OP but I'm a complete stranger to programming. I usually "reverse engineer" things but I can't go from scratch, you see where I'm coming?

I would like to create a bot for my Discord channel. People have been asking for that and I wanted a "private" bot, because I'm not entirely sure that I want some ass reading our channels with their bot.

Unless someone here is familiar with these and can recommend me a few, I'd rather build one but I have no idea which language to pick.
>>
>>59704888
Mathematica is good.
>>59704719
Why ? I liked her (him?)
>>
>>59704888
Equivalent of a carpenter getting upset over a certain type of hammer.
>>
>>59702871
> need to code too much for simple things

Go learn Scratch
>>
>>59704888
Fuck off with your freetard autism and learn to use the best tool for the job.
>>
>>59704818
do you not know about type hints and mypy?
>>
File: 1426077272846.png (122KB, 380x264px) Image search: [Google]
1426077272846.png
122KB, 380x264px
>>59704856
>>59704937
>mfw I just wanted to search for roots of a transcendental equation and Mathematica took 5 hours to spit out a string of symbolic expression involving integrals and radicals that is too large to show
>>
>>59702993
Fairly. It's not going away anytime soon by virtue of being a Google thing and used internally by them, and quite a few companies have taken to writing their CLI apps in it.

However, personally, I think the tooling fucking sucks, and the language itself is bureaucratic to the point I feel like I should just be writing Java.
>>
>>59705907
What did Maple spit out?
>>
File: 1435993193505.png (226KB, 480x433px) Image search: [Google]
1435993193505.png
226KB, 480x433px
>>59705935
Runtime error xddd
>>
File: fortran_programming_language.jpg (1MB, 1100x1100px) Image search: [Google]
fortran_programming_language.jpg
1MB, 1100x1100px
>>59704696
>>
>>59702871
>Swiss Army Knife
Common Lisp or Guile, you can do anything with those two by yourself with a min amount of code. See book Practical Common Lisp or look at guile website

Go is probably the easiest language if by productivity you mean "know nothing and have a working web server up within minutes" as you can learn the entire language and libraries in a day.

>How do I decide the best language for X project
You read and understand the foundations of programming languages so you can make an educated opinion instead of bikeshedding http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rwh/pfpl.html
>>
R cute
>>
>>59705985
Tuturu can't code anon
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.