[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for ideas....

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: computer-pile.jpg (52KB, 390x318px) Image search: [Google]
computer-pile.jpg
52KB, 390x318px
I have a veritable mountain of PCs at my disposal - approximately 150, a mixture of Core 2 Duos, i3's & i5's.

I've been selling some off here and there but then I got to thinking about distributed computing and possibly being paid to run some kind of project. None of the paid distributed computing services I've looked at seem very appealing.

So... aside from continuing to sell these things off - anyone have any ideas on how I could generate some consistent passive income from them?
>>
Are the machines in the picture yours? I see a couple of really cool aesthetic 80s-90s cases.
>>
>>59698255
Why would someone pay you for computing power when they could pay Amazon, and have, y'know, a professionally-managed environment with modern hardware?
>>
I wouldn't know what to do with ALL of them, but I'd probably set aside a half dozen or so to tinker around with. Other than that, you could set a couple up as emulation machines, seedboxes, media servers, anything not compute intensive, really. But you've probably had all these ideas already.
>>
Make a botnet
>>
Would some hipsters buy such cases?
>>
Play with alternative cryptocurrenties? STORJ, LBRY, maybe one if those things takes off.
>>
internet cafe
>>
>>59698255
Are you really thinking about generating income while burning energy with C2Ds?
>>
>>59698255
Give them back, Jamal
>>
>>59698255
>I've been selling some off here and there but then I got to thinking about distributed computing and possibly being paid to run some kind of project. None of the paid distributed computing services I've looked at seem very appealing.
old computers are power inefficient, not worth.
>>
>>59698255

The datacenters that do this are paying like 2 cents per kWh on power. Good luck competing.
>>
There's no way you can get decent perf/watt out of a bunch of ancient shitboxes.
>>
>>59698255
Sell them to poorfag anons.
>>
>>59698255
The ratio of watt-hours to computations done would be terrible. It would be cheaper to just buy a new computer.
>>
>>59698255
replace core 2 duos with $5 chink xeons
sell to clueless people as pro workstations
>>
File: 1490815476962.png (60KB, 640x560px) Image search: [Google]
1490815476962.png
60KB, 640x560px
>>59698255
Create a non-profit organization with the following agenda:

>maintain a free technology center for poor children
>teach computer technology to poor children
>provide computers to poor children

You will collect grant money up front and throughout operations (provided you really work for this -- you don't even have to do a good job, just put it out there as a sort of DIY thing with volunteer teachers from the community and colleges etc).

>mfw also have access to dozens of older machines
>>
>>59709316
This, easy money.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.